Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Bel Air or 40 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GonzoMN, Sep 10, 2012.

1. MY1940FORD

MY1940FORD

Funny I should stumble onto this thread. I have a 40 dlx coupe that I'm third owner of and also love 55 chevy's. I have had thoughts of potentially trading it for a 55. After reading this thread it has made up my mind to continue to keep my 40 and just buy me a 55. Thanks guys !

2. flat 39

flat 39

'40 Ford all the way and don't look back.

3. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Lots of '55 Chevys - not many '40 Fords, let alone coupes

4. Go Witt the 40

5. fortynut

fortynut

Apples and Oranges. Which came first the chicken, or the egg? Is the glass half full, or half empty? You already know the answer to your question. I know what I'd do. So do you. No guess work, no divining chicken entrails, no tea leaves. Be a man. It's all about the tech. What do you want to see parked in your driveway when you wake up? Are you an old school kind of guy who still listens to phonograph records, or has a CD player? Fifteen years in automotive technology is exponential. Even though you can retrofit parts to a fat-fendered Ford, inside it's still the same (cramped space that's hard to see out of) body style as people inhabited before WWII. Are you ready to deal with that? Is it going to be a daily driver, or a week-end warrior? Keepers can be tinkered with, and tweaked over the years. You can change the suspension components, drive train, paint and rubber but essentially it will still be the same envelope tomorrow, next month, or next year. And, have you owned a fat-fendered Ford before? For some of us it's like coming home, for others a motel they stay in a while and check out. For me, a Forty Ford is a fortress of solitude that rolls on pneumatic wheels and is to be had above all other forms of transportation. And, the list of stuff I've owned and driven is many and varied. Chuck the Chevy, only if you're willing to endure a few hardships, because it is, after all is said and done, an older vision of heaven. A '55 Chevy, on the other hand is easy to work on, easy to see out of, and can be updated and as modern as your wallet can handle. The question is: "Are you man enough to handle a Forty-Ford? Do you have the stamina and internal fortitude to build one and keep it going through thick and thin?"

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Having owned BOTH a 55 Chevy ( a couple of them ) and 40 Ford coupes ( two of them ) ... I myself would take the 40 Ford. :)

The 55 has more room, is easier to find parts and are considered a true HOT ROD ... but there is just something about driving a 40 Ford on a back road, in the moonlight and looking out those two little small rear windows :) :)

7. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I would keep the 55 Chevy

8. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

If you take a look at my Model A in my avatar, I think I can handle a 40:D

9. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

i think we need pics to give proper advise:D

10. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

Should have pics in a couple of days.

11. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i have owned a 40 coupe, two convertibles, and a two door sedan love that body style (39-40) but they are garnering more of a geezer stigma every day--i say do what you like but tri fives are much hotter now as the old stuff falls to the retired guys with lots of coin and younger guys want to do what their dad did ---not their grandfather---i see from your A that you are capable either way you go --there will be other tri fives --another 40--- not so much

12. Sold my 56 Nomad to get my 35 Ford. Go with the 40.

13. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

14. jophus

jophus

keep the 55.

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just came across a picture of Bob Lick's Ford. If that can't convince you, then nothing will..

[​IMG]

16. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I will be right back I need to go Jackoff

17. Since its all opinion, I would go for the 40 coupe. I love the 55 Chevys, I have had a couple of them but a 40 coupe to me is just a cut above in the hot rod world.

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Just drug this home. It needs nothing but a driver. Go for the 40.

Attached Files:

19. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

That's an awful convincing pic. I go to look at the 40 tomorrow night.

20. Model T1

Model T1

I've had several other 55 Chevys but only one 39 Ford coupe. Personally nicer looking than a 40, but who keeps score? Still have a 55 Wagon and the 39 Ford. Altho the 39 Ford has sat idle for way too many years as we tinker with the 55 Chevy wagon, I would much rather be driving the 39 Ford. Don't ask why I don't. It gets complicated, as life does.
    Personally both are great toys. Keep which ever one you want. But later on you will wish you had the other. Kinda like wimmin!;) Does this help?

21. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

Anyone have any more pictures and or information on this car?

22. rickdc57

rickdc57

I have had a 55 ht for 40 years and it will likely never leave the family. I really like the 40 coupes (the photo of Bob Lick's Ford is pretty convincing.) As a few others mentioned, depends on how you plan to use. I have a chopped 31 Ford sedan that is blast, but will never be as comfortable on the long hauls as the 55. Tough choice to have to make, but good you have the opportunity to have one of 2 really great rides at the end of the day. Good luck with the decision.

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Bob Lick's '40 Ford coupe from Baker City, Oregon. It has a '52 Olds 324 in it with 3-2s in front of the stock Ford drivetrain..

That's about all I know. He's one of the subjects of the book "Hot Rod Garages" by Peter Vincent.

24. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

40' coupes are awful, awful looking cars.

Attached Files:

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Here's the only other picture I have of his coupe..

[​IMG]

The primer spots are a result of getting it backwards on a drag strip. So it's pretty evident he drives it like it should be driven. ;)

26. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

is it this one?

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      381.4 KB
      Views:
    • 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      337.4 KB
      Views:
    • 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      428.4 KB
      Views:
    • 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      438.7 KB
      Views:
  27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

YES! Exact same one. Thanks for posting those up, go-twichy!

28. Ebert

Ebert

Go-Twichy,
    You posted my 40 in the upper left corner!!!!!.... got her for sale now. Plus I own a 55 wagon. I love 'em both....just depends on where I am going and what for...I feel blessed.

Attached Files:

29. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

Some info on the 40 I'm going to look at.
    Deluxe, Business (Opera) Coupe, dropped axle front end, 78 Granada 302 2bbl with C4, both rebuilt. Granada rear. Coupe seat, but not the proper split seat. Jump seats missing. NOS trim & grill. may have Astro Supremes. More info tomorrow

30. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

those pics are from bakerfield 08. i was taking pictures of anything i really liked to help me decide about buying one in az. which i did! i havent touched it yet, but heres some pictures of it. thats my mom, it's out at my folks house.

Attached Files:

• 554.jpg
      554.jpg
      File size:
      500.7 KB
      Views:
    • 558.jpg
      558.jpg
      File size:
      502.8 KB
      Views: