Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's true what they say about assumptions..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Sep 10, 2012.

1. That would three lefts

2. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

3 out of 4 exhaust valves on one head had to be hammered out with a drift. While he was doing one of those one of the bosses broke off the casting where the valve splits through the head. They could've been fixed at a hefty cost, OR I could'a just bought the numbers matching 333 heads he had built on the shelf.... I didn't bother to do the math. My engine guy just also happens to by my next door neighbor, so he cut me a deal.

3. birdman42

birdman42

sorry still to early.

4. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

No rings! PRICELESS!!! lmao Thanks for the morning chuckle...

5. Some machinists actually soak the heads and try to soften up the rust when the valves won't come out. Especially if they are moderately rare heads. But that may not have made any difference.

look at the upside, how many people will be running a 409 at the end of the day. I don't know how deep you are in but once you get it sorted out you should have hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles ahead of you.

Sometimes we end up with an engine that was a headach at first then four or five bodies later we are saying that it was one helluva good engine.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  6. Blair

Blair
    from xx

I've never seen or heard of a machinst using a drift to remove valves, even if they were stuck.

7. Larry T

Larry T

There is a difference in "bumping" them out and "beating" them out, but it does sound a little ham fisted to me too.

Is the 409 a truck engine? The 333 heads are.

Just got to thinking. Did you check the rear main seal and the 2 rubber filler pieces? They probably aren't there either, if the mains weren't torqued.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  8. outlaw256

outlaw256

well that was a funny read.lol but i just put myself in your place. i think i would have check the main and rod bearings before i put on the pan but im not so sure i would have pulled a pison to look at them. if it turned over i would have probably just fininhed puttin it together,so id have been where you are at.lol i wouldnt have thought someone would put the pistons in without the rings either....

9. What gave you the idea that this motor was ready to fire?

10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

well man... seen this kind of crap before... 1 thing with a motor thats assumed to be fresh is to tear down and check it all out... but you got a 409 for a steal so there is a positive and a negative to this but the positive now outweighs the negative... now you know whats in there and can trust it..... fire her up and just sigh and enjoy..

11. That is one helluva deal on that engine!
    You just got a little impatient and now have to finish up.
    To all the people with with all the advise after the fact, stop beating a dead horse!

[​IMG]Alden

12. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

While everyone else seems to be master engine builders already:D. I, for one, could see this happening to me! Thanks for posting!

13. Model T1

Model T1

Maybe we all will learn something from this. But that's just my assumtion!
    Also I'm assuming the engine is now running fine and you're cruisin in your fine 409 ?

First thing I thought of is the little central Illinois town we often go thru to get back home to visit, ASSUMTION on rt 51. Seems to be a tiny farming community, I'm assuming.;)

14. Actually my advise is the same advice that I have been giving to anyone who would listen for as long as I have been on the board and the thread that told him exactly what to do was posted last tech week.

Is it a dead horse, I don't really think so as long as there are people willing to bolt and engine or transmission in a car or motor cycle without first just giving it a rudementary check at the very least, the horse is not yet dead.

Did the OP learn anything, well he did and he learned it the hard way. Maybe someone else will check the thread out and learn it the easy way, or not, after all it is a dead horse. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  15. Larry T

Larry T

Just throwing this out as a general statement for everyone. It's pretty easy to tell that a short block has rings on the pistons because of the effort that it take to turn it over. Standart tension rings have a lot more drag on them than you might think. A short block with no rings would turn over by hand.

And once again (in case it was missed above) I wouldn't install the engine in the car without pulling the rear main and check for a seal. I would almost bet that there isn't one there, if the short block was thrown together for easy storage.

16. Actually you can do the finger test as well. If you put a finger on top of the piston and it slops all over the place it is either because the short block is worn out or there are no rings on the pistons.

Well live and learn I guess. Maybe there is nothing lost but time.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"for one, could see this happening to me!" With out a doubt these are my biggest fear. Did I get all 16 rod bolts?, all the main's, all 3 timing gear bolt's ect ect.
    "While everyone else seems to be master engine builders" Never claimed to be. All it took for me was a take over on an unfinished long block. Short block was assembled and only needed top end put on. Lost the bottom end in less that 100 miles. Used oil pump was the cause, pressure relief spring failer.

18. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Yes its a '65 truck motor. 252 HP 390ft/lbs Torque from the factory. Still double what my Flathead had.;)

19. But two wrights made an airplane.....:D

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

21. X2....what Larry said! Pull that rear main and check that there is a seal and the two small rubber inserts! If those inserts are not there you are going to have a real leaker on your hands.

22. Actually at this point I think that the OP knows to pull it all the way done and check everything. Hopefully thee has been no damage caused by the pistons flopping uncontrollably in the cylinders.

23. monc440

monc440

Joe

Your being punished for not putting a Mopar drivetrain back in her.

Been working on the CJ it's almost a roller.

John

24. dad-bud

dad-bud

Hillbilly still got a hell of a deal. It sure is one pretty looking motor, and after it's been gone through and everything checked, I'm sure it will be hummin'.
    $400 is cheap for what you got - I understand you appreciate that and your post isn't a rant against the guy who sold it to you, good for you for posting that you didn't check the thing properly so others may learn from your mistake.

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Motors is all put back together. I put about 400 miles on it so far, runs like a top. Not a real powerhouse by anymeans, but moves that tank down the road pretty good.