Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Planets Align & I Buy a '41 Willys Coupe: Can you help track its racing history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Fordman75

Fordman75

It's on tonight ( Sept. 10th ) at 10:00 PM ET. And it's replayed at midnight ET tonight which would make it Sept. 11th.

2. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

Haven't all the all the SWC Willys Coupes been accounted for other than the one that was wrecked towing accident in '61 ?

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek:Ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyy.The"Michaelangelo of metalsmiths"is going at it again.HOT DAMN.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

4. Can not wait to follow this build thread. Future Hot rod Revolution participant?

Congrats Brian!

5. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Funny...the episode is on now, and I just stumbled on this thread. Cool car.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Looks like a 42-47 straight wishbone front end. It has the square-flange 42-48 spindles and the axle ends look short to be a 37-41.

7. willysgasser40

willysgasser40
    from Illinois

I want my hour back ! What a waste of time sitting in front of the brain sucker ! I could of been out welding on my Willys ! The 41 on the show is a beautiful starting point !

8. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Haha. Yeah, that show is obviously not for everyone. :)

Now that it's out of the way, I still want to know if anyone knows any history on the car. (And with that said...please, I beg you...don't get this thread closed talking about the show.)

-Brian

9. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Badass car Brian can't wait to see this one come along.. John

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Cool! Just watched the episode and came looking for the Elrod thread.

2 Hambers on TV at the same time! What's this world coming to?

Looking forward to the history as it unfolds and the build, great score and good luck

11. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Killer car Brian..History or no history....can't wait to see what you do with it....

as for the show...they need to take the "Hollywood" out of it...

12. knotttty

knotttty

I am looking forward to the build... as I have with all the Bass builds.... not to worry about the tv show,... its not on in Canada...

Roy

13. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Atleast they did the right thing by selling it to someone who's going to take the time to build it right not just a five day "flip" job like they did with that ford gasser by droping a crate motor in it painting it and polishing the wheels then selling it. But still part of me wanted to see an old 60's willys gasser get rebuilt right on T.V.

14. Brian, whatever you do with that car will carry far more weight than it has earned in it's life up to this point. I respect the history of the small time, back yard built cars every bit as much as the well known ones. Sometimes I think I'm the only guy on the H.A.M.B. that enjoys the way cars were built in the old days, you know, the funky stuff that everybody cuts out these days to make their cars generic. If you want to make it just like it was then almost every thing you need to know is right there. I am rambling but I just hope you do your own thing to it, it will rule for sure!

15. deto

deto

wait is this thing on tonight?

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I watched the show and didn't know this Willys and Brian were going to be on it until I saw your coupe drive up in the one scene. Glad to see that car go to someone who deserves it and who will do it proud.

Looking forward to the updates as you build it.

Don

PS, did they have make up people there on the set to make you purdy ? :D

17. Elrod

Elrod

Haha. I thought it was their best show to date!!

Congrats on scoring the Willys Brian!

18. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Funny I was looking at the Bass website saw the Willys (who doesn't want one) while the preview for the show popped up on TV. Immediately thought damn that looks like same car, didn't watch yet. But I'm glad to see it went to a good home. I know this car will be done right. Congrats and enoy this cool ride.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. Good deal all around... I'm glad you got the car from Rich and I still can't believe that there are Willy's out there for $7k - $25k!

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The funny part is I was sitting there and they mentioned they were heading to Amarillo. I sat straight up, "if they found that Willy's here, I'm gonna kill someone" but I had forgot that in the preview the owner brought it to them.

Some day I gotta realize that I don't have first dibs on everything in Amarillo. ...Yet.

Oh yeah. Not even 20 minutes on their steaks and they were nowhere close to half-way done? Wusses.

21. Suddenly1

Suddenly1

[​IMG]

I am the only one that noticed this?

22. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

That's the way it is really pronounced.

23. Suddenly1

Suddenly1

Not spelled.Must be a southwest thing

24. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Ah, it is someones last name..... John Willys. That's how HE pronounced it. Welcome to the HAMB.

25. Suddenly1

Suddenly1

Never heard any old timer call it that. Thanks for the introduction to the hamb vanilla puddin'

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations! Channel surfing and I cought the show, did a HAMB search and here I am, what a great find! I didn't know a thing about my Lyndwood when I found it, but tracing its history was one of the best parts of the restoration. I'm sure someone will turn up a solid lead and ID the car. Best wishes for the restoration/build. Bob

27. I don't know if I'm more impressed with the Willys or that you can put up with Richard.

28. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Amen to that! Its yours now and you did what you had to do to get it and thats all that matters. Its gonna be cool when you get started on it.

29. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brian I am totally stoked for you mate. Do it your way, if it was me I think Kiwi Kev has hit the nail on the head but its not mine and if you've always dreamed of a blown '92 go chase that dream. No matter what that car is in REALLY good hands now. Well done.

30. junkhead57

junkhead57

Brian, Great score on your willys coupe! I watch the show & its good. I also laugh my ass off! I cant belive he found that car! I too have been looking for a willys coupe,took me over 20yrs. You got lucky to hear about that coupe. That thing wouldve been gone quick if it went online! The car looks pretty good. When you get time figure out the history,for now collect parts & get that thing together! Good luck!