Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first real 33 ford Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SCOTT GILLEN, Mar 13, 2012.

1. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

I have dug deep to find some of the most hard to find shit, this rear end is one of them and is well worth the wait. I hate the wait by the way, its hard to see it and wait for it. I was trying to make the GNRS 2013 but will only be the in mock up. The car will be driven for a bit, then ripped back down and finished all over again. The plan is to shake it down for three or four months and go back and paint and finish. AGAIN.

2. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

I AGREE.....The 33 3 window with no rust and no patch and dent free running and driving complete car is a shit way to start. I tried to find a shit rust bucket with dents all over it and filled with bond from years past, rusted to hell in some barn up on the East cost with some bird crap all over it so I could go in a save the day. I found so many of them, I thought it unfair to not pick them all so I picked this one to avoid all the jealousy

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

hahaha!!
    That`s a good one

4. NealinCA

NealinCA

With all the cool parts...I was suprised by the new front axle...instead of an original Bell, Dago, Mor-Drop, etc...?

I am looking forward to seeing the wheels done.

Keep the progress pics coming.

Neal

5. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Great build. I've enjoyed following along.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Lots of new parts on this car. The new axle fits right in. Just don't go putting a '32 axle on a '33.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Doh!!! That's what I have planned for my '33 hahah!!! I just don't have the heart to drop it so I wanted to drop the '33 axle for my '32 and run the '32 axle on my '33. The logic makes no sense I know.....

8. Mart

Mart

Loving the 33, especially the exotic hard to find parts.

It's like the polar opposite of my own 33 5W.

Mart.

9. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

I am looking for the original axle heavy duty that I can send out for the drop, if you have one please let me know......

10. tnich123

tnich123

The chassis work is a jewel all by itself. If thats any sign of how the car will turn out you have a winner.

11. duce dreamer

duce dreamer

Great build up. One with the lot!

12. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Well having some issues with the wheels, one off is a bitch......I want to make sure the Brakes are all the way in the wheel, not sticking out like a so cal after market thought.......Also want to make sure that the rear and the fronts are in line.....to add to this i think they might have measured incorrectly....bad offset. well just have to start all over again.....

13. Master of None

Master of None

I envy your attention to every detail. And your ability to keep a semi cool head. Respect.

14. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Well it wasn't all that calm.......but they are standing by there work and will do it again......

15. Master of None

Master of None

Most likely not, but I really like the fact you didn't start the post....The F#$%king idiots.....:)

I'm sure they felt about as small as you felt as mad.

16. Mart

Mart

It's probably good to have some part of the brake assembly sticking out, those fins are for cooling, having them completely shrouded by the wheel is defeating the object.

I do agree, though, that some cars do display a ridiculous amount of king pin offset. I don't think yours is in that category though.

You have a very expensive and desireable set of brakes. If they were mine I would want them at least partially visible.

Mart.

17. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

They were over 2 1/2 out and looked like shit. The holes in the wheel itself will allow for the cooling and the look as in the functionality, is just as important to me for the car. You go to great time doing a car and the look and the stands and ride height, these are all together in my book. I also built a 1/2 space inside the wheel to allow for air as well. It will all work out in the end, they are stand up guys and are doing them all over again.......I do like the look of the wheels very much.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  18. Mart

Mart

I just realised all the pics are with steel wheels on, and look "right" to me. So the new wheels had a shallower backspace than the steels I guess.

You're right 2-1/2" would be too much.

Mart.

19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Kinda "majoring in the minors" but find myself thinking more along the lines of a "Bell" era correct dropped 37 style tube axle.. really rare which which fits into the thyme...

20. The only part I question is regarding the "look". You have a set of super rare brakes that look like (pretty much) nothing else out there, yet you're burying (hiding) them in the wheels. From what will be left visible, they'll look a lot like the Wilson Welding "Kinmont-esque" backing plates that are used with the Ford drum components. I'm not saying have them stick out a bunch, but as much as they would if someone was using original Ford 3.5" or 4" wide wheels with stock spindles and hubs.

21. NealinCA

NealinCA

I just sold one of the original Bell tube axles at the LA Roadster's swap this year. I think it was going to Sweden...

22. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Well I have thought about it for a while and have decided to chop the coupe.

23. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

What? Is this a gotcha? I hope it's true. After seeing it in person, my first question to Rudy was, "how much ya gonna chop it?". Can't wait to see what happens next.

Personally I think you made the right choice. Given the ultra-low ride height of the car, it made the "too tall" turret look even more out of place. 33-34's benefit even from the most mild of chops. Although I prefer the more "radical" cuts.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

24. Rule.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hahaha!!! You were powerless to the temptation of YE OLE' CHOP!!!! Especially since you've got Rudy making the cuts....I mean how could you go wrong.

26. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Too late now, cut pic's this weekend

Scott

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i thought you were joking.

mine is gonna be the only one left unchopped at this rate.

28. Well Scott you have bigger balls then me.I could not bring myself to cut that top. That why I sold it to you. That body was the best of the best. Well its in the best of hands with Rudy,it will be BAD ASS........SEE YA SOON.

29. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Hey Rick.......Your right the body was great and thats why I did it. I wanted to start with a perfect car and that was it. It's easy to chop a shit car, try chopping a great car......I will send pics tomorrow of the amount of chop, I hope to keep it clean and not to extreme.

Scott