Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stripped bolt hole on SBC balancer, will larger bolt cause problems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, Sep 10, 2012.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I found that one of the bolts that holds the pulley on my balancer was stripped by a previous owner who ended up using a more coarse threaded bolt to hold it on. The first 5-7 threads were stripped pretty good, but a longer bolt will grab the remaining threads better than the existing shorter bolt. Will using a longer bolt on that one hole, or retapping that hole for a slightly larger bolt throw off the balancer?

2. squirrel

squirrel

how about using 3 longer bolts?

3. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

4. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

LOL...I'm stupid like that sometimes! But since two would be a fine machine thread and one would be a larger diameter, more coarse thread, does that still leave the balancer off whack?

5. squirrel

squirrel

If they're all the same length, it should be ok as far as balance if you have one coarse thread and w fine thread. But it'll be fun to be the next guy to work on it....

also make sure the bolts are all getting enough thread engagement that you can torque them properly, you don't want them coming out when you're driving. If you think it's iffy, get a new damper, they're not real expensive these days.

6. Just put them in and go. You ll never know the difference

7. If you are worried about it weigh all three bolts I'd bet they are the same.

8. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Ha! Thanks for all the info! I guess I thought for some reason they were balanced with a higher tolerance than that.

9. Model T1

Model T1

Same problem with the 305 in my 55 Chevy wagon over 6 years ago. Tapped the hole next size. So far the engine doesn't seem to know the difference! May be wrong but it's only a SBC!:)

10. Deuces

Deuces

Gotta stop smokin' them fat ones...:D;)

11. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

INDEED. Although I think they did put a better cam in it....it's an 88-89, so it's not supposed to have a lobe for a mechanical fuel pump (had the factory block off plate), but LO AND BEHOLD...I tossed a pump rod in there and spun it over, it *does* have a lobe. Sweetness, wasn't wanting to do the electrical fuel pump anyhow. So now I'm trying to have a little more respect for the poor little guy ;)

I've got a flatty in waiting at the moment anyway....been thinking of trading it for a running SBC of more *vintage* pedigree....if anyone's got one. Got an ad in the classifieds if anyone wants to look,btw.

MAN.....if I wasn't asthmatic, I'd be all over that. I'm a stressed out person in general, so I'd probably be normal even if I was puffin' on the fatties ;) LOL

12. oj

oj

SBC balancers are dime a dozen, get another one and you won't have to worry nor have future problems.

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I think squirrel meant use longer bolts to reach threads that aren't damaged. The holes should go all the way through the dampener. At least they did on mine! ;)

Run a tap through 'em and use a bit longer bolts. Easier than rethreading a hole. :)