Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Watertown, SD-Vintiques Rod Run (photo heavy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MCINK, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Big Dad

Big Dad

Awesome shots Tim !

2. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Who is Lumpy ? This happens to be my car :)

I had a great time for the third year in a row. First time with the Roadster. It is a well organized fun show. I stay in a tent at the campground and love it. My wife is from SD, so it's like coming home for her.

3. Kurt's Car

Kurt's Car

Hi Doug, Lumpy was Wally's friend from the old Leave it to Beaver TV show. Your car looked great, it was nice to see it in person.

4. "Lumpy" Rutherford, shown here with Eddie Haskell and his 1940 Ford V8 De Luxe Club Convertible Coupe in the old "Leave It To Beaver" series. In one episode Lumpy Rutherford's car got its rear axle yanked out with a chain as the result of Eddie and Wally's prank. It was supposedly the inspiration for the police car sequence in "American Graffiti".

[​IMG]

5. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

Very cool pics, Thanks for posting,
    My parents were both from Watertown, SD. They moved out to the Arizona desert in 1962, had me and my two sisters then moved back to Custer, SD when they retired, I stayed here and my sisters followed. Looks like a nice place to live.

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Thanks for taking the time to share this !

I second this comment !!!

That really made my day looking at all those beautiful looking rides first thing in the morning.

Thanks for sharing all the very cool photo's. Jimbo

7. Absolutely outstanding, thanks for the eye-candy!

8. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

Great Pictures! Thank you for sharing. Love Gribble's personal car...it could come stay in my garage anytime.

9. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Funny.... I'm old enough to have known that .... but he didn't drive a 36 :)

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great photos of some really nice cars at what looks like a great event. Thanks for sharing.

11. iamben

iamben

As always, the car show was great!!!! Thanks Vintiques. You guys know how to put on a car show and a rod run.

12. TomH

TomH

He is also now a member of the Lake Area Roadsters, welcome aboard!!

Tom ( the guy with the yellow `26 RPU ) Hey there were too many people you got intro to at once for you to remember.

13. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

The Vintiques put on one of the VERY BEST runs around ... sorry I missed it

14. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

Had a blast as usual, and I would also like to say thank you to the Vintiques for a great weekend. can't wait for next year.

15. henryj429

henryj429

One to put on my list for next year!

16. TomH

TomH

We have been to 18 of the Vintiques rod runs and have become close friends with the Gribble brothers. They treat you like family, we know their children and grand children. It’s always a good time and like others have said one of the best shows for our part of the country. When I tell my local friends why the wife and I travel to Watertown I say “ HOT ROD is spoken there”!!!

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great stuff, Tim --- thanks for posting the photos!!

Malcolm

18. TomH

TomH

Just a heads up for those of you getting on the tour bus at Lake City Rod and Custom, it isn’t going to happen next year. If you want to get on a bus you have to get on out at the lake, no more pickups at the shop.

19. Bull

Bull

It's just too bad (for me) that this event is the same weekend as the MSRA Fall Campout. Maybe I can convince my crew to check out SD instead one of these years.

20. Hi Tom! Your RPU looks fantastic, especially with the little PU box out back. Is this the same one you built some years ago or did you sell that one and build another one? I just talked to Randy this morning and he said it was out of control and the car count was something like 364 cars! I wish I could have made it back a week earlier but I'm catching a ride back with my friends here that are going through Speedy Bills Museum and another big one in Lincoln. Then I'm coming up to Sioux Falls and they are going onto the Henry Ford Museum and bunch more in Michigan and Indiana on their way to Good Guys at Indy.

21. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

It was a great weekend again..........good fun, 2 meals, garage tour, show uptown, poker run,Saturday night music... all for $35........ very well organized we will be back again next year thanks Vintiques!! Dale

22. TomH

TomH

Thanks Jerry. Nope it’s the Modified that I turned into an RPU. You remember what I said about the mod?? Me the wife and a tooth brush and it was full. Had an Model A pickup box that had seen it’s better days so I cut it up worked out the dents and stuck it on. Now at least we can haul some rain gear and a few other things.

I started on my 33-35 Chevy coupe project, it’s going to be nice to have something with a top again.

Tom

23. The yellow car looks great Tom!

24. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

ok, we've seen the cars, lets see some of the background stuff from the Vintiques Rod Run in Watertown, SD this past weekend. I had a new camera, and just had to keep shooting the things I saw that I thought others would enjoy. I hope you do...

this Anglia door was on the wall in Randy Gribbles shop, and this door has personal meaning to me, as it came off the wrecked race car of a good friend of mine. The car rolled pretty badly in about 1982 at Thunder Valley Dragways. Here's the door now, and then...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

let's see if you recognize a famous drag racer from Watertown in this last photo....
    [​IMG]

25. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

ok, back to Watertown...

Randy Gribble has a bunch of machinery in his shop, most of which I don't know what they are called, and definitely do not know what they do, but, apparently Randy knows how to use them all, as the cars he creates are very cool...

If you know what they are, and what they do, shout out...
    most of the machines appear older than I am, and I am an old guy...

I'll bet he could have his own HAMB Tech Week thread...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gratuitous artsy-farty shot...
    [​IMG]

looks like some serious business starts here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this thing is as big as a Honda Civic...oh, wait, thats O/T...
    [​IMG]

How many holes can you drill at one time?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I saw one of these on Chop-Cut-Rebuild...
    [​IMG]

26. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

back to the garage tour...

sitting in the rafters in Gribbles shop...steel rafters, that is...
    [​IMG]

Vette at one of the stops---BBC powered...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the same shop as the Vette...
    very nice...
    I'm guessing it had an Art Morrison chassis...
    [​IMG]

I see this one at Hardees most Saturday nights...nice ride...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

really old Cadillac, I believe...
    [​IMG]

tubular chassis for a Vette, notice it has no axles...
    [​IMG]

bad photo, but they have 4 cars and a couple Harleys above the paint booth, must have some serious trusses...
    [​IMG]

27. Roadsir

Roadsir

Nice Pics, thanks for posting....Randy certainly maximizes his square footage! A lot of nice stuff and a nice guy too.

28. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

Keep them coming mcink!!!

29. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

If I remember right that lavender 5 window was wrecked really hard quite a few years ago and obviously brought back from the dead.

30. Yes it was, back in the 90s. Kurt Senescal, pardon my spelling built it. One of my favorite modern trad cars!