Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Did Jesse use coilovers on the original or are you going with a different rear suspension set up?

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Great to see you back with another build! Can't wait to see this come alive!!

3. jivin jer

jivin jer

I'm trapped by history. Jesse actually had two coil overs and two stock (type) shocks at the rear. More when we get there. But, I gotta have em' to install em'.

4. daddio211

daddio211

Jaguar? I'm pretty sure they were all made by Koni.

5. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I appreciate the effort, I filled everything out and it said "nope". Maybe a used set?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  6. I wonder if you checked with some vintage race car guys if they might have a source for period correct coil overs. I would think that would have been where they were being used the most during that time period.

7. I don't think the shocks they used were what we like to call Coil Overs these days. They were called Boosters or Overload shocks in those days, and most likely they weren't made for a 41 Ford in the first place. I would bet they were probably Monroe, but could have been Gabriel or Delco. I think you just need to figure out the dimensions and then get a catalog and find what fits.
    Just an idea ;)

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Looks like a great start Jerry. Going to be one awesome ride. If you need anything let me know. I've got loads of parts and resources. Also we do media blasting here at work. I'm not to far from you. Over in the Garland area.

9. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

This car has been one of my favorite customs. I didn't think you had it in you to do another clone. Good luck. One day I have a very well known custom that I want to clone. Sounds like a blast

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

If we're looking at the seats (they're nice) out of the car. It must mean we're taking it apart.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  11. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

12. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

holy cow a kustom being built and its not a shoebox or 53 chevy sedan! very nice

13. oh yeah !!!!! Fun !

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

These doors look pretty good.

Attached Files:

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

The doors do look solid. Hope they are as good under that paint as they look

16. OOOH this is going to be fun to watch!
    I'm really happy for Jesse, he gets to see his old Kustom be reborn, he's a great guy!!

17. It would be awesome to see the restored Jack Stewart car and the new Jesse Lopez car sitting side by side once again.........GNRS 2014?

18. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Fantastic! I will be following this closely.
    Thanks for bringing up one of the nicest kustoms ever built.

[​IMG]

Deron Wrights -41 has a very nice style and built in later years. He is also on the HAMB and might add some help.
    [​IMG]

19. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That would be awesome!!

20. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jesse will be getting his 3 ring binder with his first installment of this story tomorrow (0-#90 post) in the mail. Maybe I can get him to call ME, once a week for "what about this?", would be nice.

Outback likes this.
  21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

The Lopez, Sloan and Conway clones all in one place. It would be a treat for the eyes!!

22. jivin jer

jivin jer

Here's the rocker panels w/o the running boards (which I gave a heave ho'). The l side definately has been exposed (and rusted) more than the R.

Attached Files:

23. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Dang. Those rockers look like they are from two different cars. Ouch!!

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

I need to say that that I've never been involved with flathead Ford cars.

My dad was a Ford dealer from 1945 to 1958. When the time came for my first car (1958) he made sure that I never got a hold of a flathead V8. My first car was a 1950 Chev. It took many years to realize that he thought a flathead V8 would make his fatherhood more complicated than he wanted.

My first flathead was the 50 Ford coupe that became Jr's clone. So I'm not as familiar with these cars as I wish I was. This makes it difficult when it comes to parts and their application. I couldn't do this if the internet was not in existence. For example, I've just discovered that I'll need a dropped axle. I don't have the natural "instincts" to know where to get one.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  25. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I think you are in the right place to find some help... :D

26. Ash in OZ

Ash in OZ
    from Australia

Good luck Jer, I love the kustoms of old and am looking forward to following this thread through. 41 coupes are my favourite fat fender. Cheers Ash in OZ

27. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, in this case it's out with the old and, then in with the new/old.

Attached Files:

28. jivin jer

jivin jer

These little red lites were attached at the hood bracket bolts, under the dash. What happened when these went on? Was this an East coast thing?

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      516.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      134.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  29. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I have blue ones under my dash to light up when the doors are open. Very cool because the dash lights are blue too.