Register now to get rid of these ads!

My '56 Thunderbird is getting fresh paint!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AndrewnTX, Mar 10, 2012.

1. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

My Thunderbird is getting a new slick paint job! I'm excited, going through the disassembly, paint and then finally the reassembly process is tedious, long and not cheap, but all the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place and the timing is right.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0500 by AndrewnTX, on Flickr

The car came from Colorado and is pretty straight. I've had it over 2 years now. It had been refinished probably a decade ago and has its share of chips, wear, and rough and dingy areas. It looked good from 20' but it deserves a fresh paint finish over straight, slick steel.

A couple weeks back I spent the weekend taking it apart. This helps lower my project price and it's fun. Saves the shop so they can focus on body and paint. All the trim, bumpers, etc were pulled off.I took off my kidney bean wheels and put back the steelies. Staying wth the same color green. The car was born a green '56; while I have doubts as to the current shade being actually correct - I like this green and all the jambs/trunk/hidden areas are all the same green, so off we go!

The factory '56 continental spare tire kit is a massive bumper assembly, I'm wanting a cleaner rear bumper, minus the spare, so that's not yet figured out.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0840 by AndrewnTX, on Flickr

The paint shop I'm going to use is a family run place with 40 years in the same location. They had painted my Mustang back in '95 which I still have. The owner's son takes great care of me on these special projects. Timing is good for space in the shop, since we have had (so far) an ice free winter (less pileups and insurance crashwork!)

[​IMG]
    IMG_0852 by AndrewnTX, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0847 by AndrewnTX, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_0850 by AndrewnTX, on Flickr

I dropped the car off at the shop yesterday!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Post some pics. Big project, but you'll have fun with it. Stu

3. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

I've always admired your Tbird after seeing your posts in the social group. Hope some day to start on my own 55 and will watch your adventure with great interest. Subscribed.

4. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Yeah, that does not look like the original '56 Thunderbird Green (sometimes called "Money Green due to the rarity), but it is close. The original is a much uglier color (no offense intended, mine was born that way too). Mine has some interesting notes on the original bill of sale, I always wondered if it could have been used for the following publicity shot, but there is no way to find out that I can think of.

This is the best shot I have of the original color...

Attached Files:

5. Glad your keeping the green, the more I see your car the more I like the color. Have fun with it.

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Gonna be hard to cruise it to the Round Up if you just dropped it off today...:D:eek:;)

7. Always had a soft spot for those.

8. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Whatever green it is - I hope it rolls out of the paint booth with the same shade and color ... I like it too.

So much for good timing with an ice/free winter in DFW... rain and pileups in April... customer cars' workload at the paint shop picked up and therefore slow going for the Thunderbird ... No hurry, plenty to do around here.

The longer it's gone, the more fun it will be to get it back and bolted together!

Attached Files:

9. Squablow

Squablow

A '55 rear bumper would look nice on there and eliminate the continental spare if that is your intention. You could run a pair of front guards on the rear bumper which would match the front and eliminate the need to run the exhaust through the tail pan.

I like the look of it with the painted steel wheels. Saw one midway through restoration that was supposed to get a set of the "basket wire" hubcaps but just had the centers installed without the wires, looked great that way with wide white walls.

10. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

good call keeping it green. like others said the 55 bumper works well. Then put a spacesaver spare in the trunk. mines a 55 but u get the idea. Still trying to scrounge up the extra cash for a set of those wheels u have for mine. Always liked em.

[​IMG]

11. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Thanks for the ideas, that's what I need. I have not been able to find a '55 bumper... I wonder if that sheet metal lip would have to be trimmed back to fit a '55 bumper?

I also had a suggestion that kept the '56 LH/RH bumper parts, delete the center bolt-on continental kit, then fab up a new simple center section to fill the void that remains. The entire bumper could then be brought inward towards the body by drilling a 2nd set of holes in the bumper support brackets. Bringing it in just enough to close the opening where the tire pan was. This would leave the '56 signature bumper sides w/ the exhaust ports, but clean up the rear w/ the center section delete. And would leave all the sheet metal intact so reverting to the continental kit in the future could be done.

In the picture you can see the 3 pieces as they bolt together and to the bumper support brackets.

Attached Files:

12. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

Andrew, drop by the shop this week. I have a good '55 rear here at the moment.

13. Squablow

Squablow

I have a junk '55 rear that you could cut up to make your custom center section if that would work. Not sure if they have the same profile or not.

14. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

IF you want to change, I wouldn't reweld or cut up that 56 bumper stuff-to valuable as is. I would still recommend the 55 bumper. The bumperettes are going to be the pricey part of it. OR I have seen the bumperettes from a (I think ) 57 fairlane used and instead reroute the exhaust under the bumper. I have also seen those bumperettes used on the front too. I have a pic somewhere, I'll look. BUT I would trim the pan off the back like the 55 also. Looks obvious to me if you don't.

15. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I kinda like those kidney wheels. Just sayin.'
    Tom

16. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Yes, you will have to trim the valence if you use the 55 front/rear, 56 front bumper, unless you make your own brackets. Since my car is a 50k mile survivor, I vowed to never cut or carve it up in any way so that bumper is out for me too. The only two solutions I have come up with so far are making a removable center section to replace the continental well or make some sort of b-ville style push bar. Either would bolt to the factory bumper ends and tie it all together. If you decide to cut, I have seen the bumper re-popped so it's easier to find than the 56 ends.

17. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Mr. Dominick and I are going to trial fit a '55 rear and see how she looks - determine what trims are needed and what bumper supports will work. The picture shows some more progress on the body work.

Attached Files:

18. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

M_S, my '56 is not an original car, previous owner fitted a Windsor motor, AOD, disk brakes.. so I can take a little more freedom. I don't have any sheet metal modifications in mind, just the bumper. I wanted to make it reversible to stock '56, but I gave that idea up. Some good ideas you have, and we thought about that route too.. but on with the '55 bumper... As people have said, if someone is interested in an original 'Bird there are plenty out there. The valence will be trimmed, the exhaust has already been routed to turn downs just in front of the bumper. I'm looking forward to seeing the '55 bumper on it.

The picture updates are from a few months ago. Got a '55 bumper and brackets, thanks to Dominick and Mr Hyde... Going to go just a straight bumper, no bumperettes. I need to drop by the shop and see what's up. I miss cruising this car. Figured paint work would take forever, by the time I get it back.. it may be Christmas!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  19. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

There are more than a few around with the 55 front/rear, 56 front bumper on the back.

If you measure and cut carefully you can save the valance and have it welded back if the need ever arises or sell them to someone needing to add that back to a '56. None of the continental kit is repopped (at least in steel), I keep telling myself I should sell all the parts since I highly doubt I will ever restore.

Looking forward to more updates.

20. swissmike

swissmike

Couldn't agree more. This is one of the few cars that I genuinely love the looks of them, especially without skirts. They totally change the character of the car from girlish to serious business!

21. skygazer

skygazer
    from San Diego

Exciting to see another baby bird being repainted! I'm expecting to get my '55 back from the painter any day now. My painter is an old school guy and does excellent work... but he's an artist, and not interested in accurate estimates or schedules.

I'm changing the color of my bird from original '55 thunderbird blue to '56 peacock blue.

22. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I'd like to have my 55 done again, it has plenty of bad places on it. But, I can say though that I've never had a new paint job that I was completely satisfied with. And I never had juusstt enough money, or time, or something? to get it perfect. But really as it is now I don't have to worry with it much and can drive it and park it without as much hovering around it. Guess mines a little "Tar Baby" and I'm ok with it.

23. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Interested in seeing what you do w/the rear bumper. I have a 56 what was my dads car, and because of that I won't sell it but I hate the rear tire set up and want to change it at some point. The spare makes it a girls car...

Like the wheels, 17's?

24. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Yes the wheels are 17". Front is 7" and rear is 8" wide.

I'm ready to see the car minus continental kit too.

Attached Files:

25. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

Mine was removed and a 56 front bumper was used. We also welded the bolts on the back side to smooth out the bumper. this was done in 1965

Attached Files:

26. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

I really like that green and the wheels look great

27. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I'm also doing a complete frame off resto for a customers 56, and my dad had his since 83 so I know the cars pretty well.

I like the look of yours w/o the skirts and wheels, just what I'd like to do to mine. The 56 front bumper might be a way to go, depending on how much I'd have to modify for me to be able to change it back, like Studedave.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  28. studebakerdave

studebakerdave

you have to trim the sheet metal to iinstall the 56 bumper. just save all the pieces

29. AustinThunderbird

AustinThunderbird
    from Austin, TX

Sorry if off topic, but a quick question. I picked up a 61 tbird and some of the trim had been removed, but I found the pieces in the trunk.. and still in pretty good shape. As a former old bike guy I am unfamiliar with how to install that trim, does anyone have a link to something or some advice on how to install that? Again sorry if I derailed, but I saw a bunch of Tbird guys in one thread and though I would give it a try... cheers - Brad

30. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

At last there is an update! Shop is moving ahead now, and the car is all in primer. There are a few more rounds of blocking and sanding to go. This week, they tackled the fitting of the '55 rear bumper to the car.

Glad you like the green, I do too. I'm hoping for that same shade on the finished product..

[​IMG]
    IMG_1257 by AndrewnTX, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1256 by AndrewnTX, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1255 by AndrewnTX, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_1253 by AndrewnTX, on Flickr