Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955-57 Chevy Hearse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Sep 9, 2012.

1. A couple of years ago someone posted here on the hamb that he/she had a 55 Chevy hearse.Anyone remember who it was?

2. dont know that one,but, a local guy here had a 57 he drove for years. i think he sold it

3. Cerberus

Cerberus

You may be getting the HAMB confused with trifive (which I know you are a member of) or Chevytalk. Chevytalk had a thread on this '55 Chevy Hearse.

Attached Files:

4. Deuces

Deuces

That's how I'd want to go....

5. henry29

henry29

This car was owned for several years by a friend of mine,
    but I've never seen him on here.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Would like to see more old Hearses on here can't remember ever seeing one of those be for.

7. Day-em Henry..Thats a real beauty.I'm jealous.:(

8. cobra_4

cobra_4

Wow, can honestly say I've never saw a Tri-Five Hearse before! Sweet!! Kinda funky lookin!

9. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Nothing against Chevy, but, that was a real low-buck funeral home that couldn't at least afford a Pontiac!

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Nice, a Hearse with a trailer hitch.
    See, you can take it with you if you take the final ride with a HAMBer.

11. Thats the first tri 5 ive ever liked!

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Wow!, that screams Victorian mentality

13. I bet that was a "First Call" car. They were made out of just about anything. Most actual hearses were Cadillacs. Kinda like ambulances...

14. I kinda doubt it. I was an embalmer and all of the first call cars I ever saw or used were ordinary station wagons with curtains or blanked out windows. One mortuary, that I worked for, had a 54 Ford Courier that we also used as a flower car. Everyone uses vans now, most with landau bars to make it look fancy.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I dont remember any funeral home around here having any cheaper hearse then a Buick.

16. lawman

lawman

I think some are confused about what is a hearse and a "Flower car"

17. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

A flower car back in the day was like an el camino. A hearse is what actually carried the casket. Some places still use a flower car, just google it. Around here (small town USA) the first call car is a mini van that looks like any other soccer mom grocery getter, nothing fancy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  18. cobra_4

cobra_4

Lol, good point! Not even a belair either:p

19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

20. cheveey57

cheveey57

Funny I told my wife to bury me in my 57, with that she actually could.

21. Here's a pic of one that shows up at Lead East every year.I took this pic in 1991.Looks like it was made out of a 2 door sedan but has the raised roof of a hearse.

Attached Files:

22. lawman

lawman

Looks like a old Ambulance to me !!!!!

23. 1957 Limousine

1957 Limousine
    from Ohio

I have a 1955 Chevrolet Hearse Very rare, not a converted 4-door wagon. That I need to sell it needs a complete restoration. Original rare front and rear bumper guards. It also has the original extra wide rims for carrying heavier loads. The original front seat is still in place, also the divider window between the drivers compartment the rear area. It's believed all the original rear trim is in the rear so restoration of the rear compartment should be easily duplicated. The driver’s compartment is your basic 1955 interior. The original 6 cylinder engine is still in place which would need to be rebuilt or replaced. In my opinion a 1955 Sedan delivery donor car would be very helpful for sheet metal, engine, transmission, and misc. interior drivers’ compartment. As you can see in the photos you will need to replace the rocker panels, and some floor pans. Most of the doors open and close freely but will need some adjustments. This vehicle is being sold as is, with no warranties expressed or implied. Who knows this could be the only original 1955 Chevrolet Hearse in existence! What the value of an original 1955 Chevrolet Hearse might be worth one could only imagine! Imagine the possibilities of renting this out for that die hard tri-5 lover for their final ride.The height of this Hearse is 71" as you can see in the pictures it has an extra high roof.
    The wheel base is 12'6" the overall length from bumper to bumper is 18'10"
    National Body Mfg. Co. - 1946-1968 An early 1950s National ad boasted:
    When converting a Chevrolet Sedan Delivery, furnished to us by customer, into a NATIONAL Combination Hearse & Ambulance, we extend the unit 30" and installed 43" doors on each side, build in one recessed attendant's seat, furnish shades, cot holder, choice of removable casket table or turn-over rollers in regular floor, medicine cabinets in partition, sliding glass in partition, safety glass throughout, dome lights in front and rear compartments, blue or red leatherette trim, Armstrong inlaid linoleum on floor, tire compartment under floor on left side, and unit painted to suit customer. Cost of conversion $1995.These Sedan Delivery units are usually delivered to our plant directly from the Chevrolet factory. When the unit is ordered for conversion, preference is given for quick delivery to us. Most 1955-57 National funeral coaches and ambulances were built on Chevrolet and Pontiac donors and were offered for the first time with a choice of two head-rooms and two wheelbases (standard plus a 30" extension). High headroom models were available with a choice of an awkward looking bi-level turtle back roof or the more attractive raised roof that gently sloped down to the top of the windshield.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  24. Hearse or ambulance? Built on a two door sedan chassis.

Attached Files:

• 57.JPG
      57.JPG
      File size:
      152.1 KB
      Views:
  25. Deuces

Deuces

What pictures???...:rolleyes:

26. What?!?! No junior moderators raking him over the coals for no intro and trying to sell something???

27. Normbc9

Normbc9

I do remember the ad. It was in the HAMB Classifieds and it was a custom built National ambulance body. Here is a photo of another similar to what he was showing. His was blue in color. I hope this helps you track it down.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

28. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here is a photo of a 1957 ambulance operated by a fire agency in the next county years ago. They later restored it.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

29. Model T1

Model T1

No pictures? No intro? No price? But interesting info!
    I sorta like tri five Chevys. I also told my wife and kids to put my ashes in an old coffee can and toss it in the back of my 55 Chevy wagon. Sneak over toward Daytona Beach and with the lid opened, drive fast down the beach letting the ashes fly out onto the sandy beach.
    Besides, what does it matter if your last ride is in a Caddy, Ford, or Chevrolet? You won't being enjoying the trip anyway.
    ;)

30. This thread is very timely for Halloween