Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. KKx125

KKx125

Mac,would love to hear results of The OFFY Roadster run at Bonneville,what speeds Etc. Did the car and engine perform as expected. Good luck ,Speedie,Down under.

2. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Actually, the guys had a purty good week.. They got through a tough two hour technical inspection which is a major accomplishment for a new team and new car.

Spun the car twice early in the week due to aero nose lift at just over 140 MPH because they didn't have enough nose ballast weight. They moved 250lb towards the front of the car.

With better weight distribution, they had runs of 147.7, 174.9 and 181.
    They scuffed a piston on the 181 pass and shut it off rather than damage the engine.

The XXO/VOT class record, they are shooting for, is 176.5 so the car is fast enough to do the job. With a new car and rookie drivers, it is almost impossible to make a record attempt the first year but they should be well positioned for a serious attempt at their next meet.

They have a great car, had a few thrills, learned a lot about car setup for Bonneville, established some good credibility for themselves and their car, made some valuable new friends among the Bonneville officials and some of the veteran Bonneville racers, found some speed by the end of the week and had a great time.

I am proud of the team and proud of my first Bonneville car.

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  3. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  4. KKx125

KKx125

Mac,Thanks for the Update,Congrats to everybody involved,To go to bonneville first up with a new car and enjoy these results you can be proud. Good luck for the future. Keep us updated if you test before next Bonneville ,Thanks, Speedie.

5. jjordan

jjordan

Old Roadsters are cool.
    Bonneville is cool.
    Old Roadsters at Bonneville is waaaaaayy cool.

6. sideways27

sideways27

I hope not over the top. I was talking with Arlen Kurtis the other day and ask him if he knew the history of the Gapco Sprinter regarding its starting life as a Kurtis midget. He told me he did not and when I told him what I knew about the famous sprint car he was very surprised he did not know. So I am trying to get all the history from what I have read. I have the book "Roaring Roadsters the Road to Indy" and on pg's 203 & 204 it talks about how Jack Gardner purchased the midget in 1954 and streached it into a Roadster also a picture of Frank Brewer going thru the wall at Orange Speedway with the midget.
    My question is, Jack sold this car to a driver who took it to the midwest and raced it for a short time and sold it to Rufus Gray which became the famous Gapco sprinter. Somewhere I read about this part of the story with all the details and I can not find it, not sure if it was in one of my books (have many) or on this site. Can someone with a better memory than this old one I have please help me if you can.

Thank You,
    Bob

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bob, if you go back to page 647 of this thread we discussed the Gapco car. The early history is really unclear but the driver,you mentioned, in the midwest was Vic Ellis , if that helps.

8. sideways27

sideways27

Thanks Rootie, thats simular to the story I read about but it still had the flathead Merc in the car at the time of sale from Jack Gardner.
    I don't know how you do but your the man.
    Thanks,
    Bob

9. deuce354

deuce354

Hi Guys. About a year ago i posted pictures of a big car i am restoring. I tore it apart last september for paint, chrome etc. The car was built in 37, raced until 47. It was raced by Fritz Tegtmier in AAA, CSRA, IMCA. It ran a DO Hal. They are almost impossible to find or afford. I used a Modal B with a Crager OHV conversion. It coming along pretty good, will have the body back in about three weeks. Hope you enjoy Deek

Attached Files:

10. jmh

jmh

Nice.. And you aint too far from me!! John

11. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Does anyone in the mid-west rebuild these old HURST/AIRHEART brakes? They are off of a Grant King Champ dirt car.

[​IMG]

12. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi fuel pump: Speedway Motors probably has seal kits for Hurt/Airheart, probably brake pads also. All you have to do is hone cylinder bores, clean and reassemble. Bill

13. baldtireman

baldtireman

Really nice,Deek...... by the way,had dinner with Norm Benning III last week....:eek:

14. Deek! Damn! You should be proud.

15. racer5c

racer5c

Deek, that is beautiful!

16. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Anyone have a steel 6 spline coupler? PM me if you do.

17. Sprinto7

Sprinto7

18. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

19. TommyA19

TommyA19

On September 13, 1952:

Paul Russo won the AAA Eastern Sprint Car race over Bill Schindler and Tommy Hinnershitz at the Morristown Speedway, Morristown, NJ.

I was there that night, with my brother. It ranks up on the top of the list of being one of the best races I've ever seen, with Russo and Schindler going at it, side-by-side for the entire race. That was the last time I saw Schindler race, since he ran his last race a week later, at Allentown.

20. Sprinto7

Sprinto7

As far asI know, they are all 28-47 Ford based. I have been wrong many times, just ask my wife.
    Del

21. gtxrider

gtxrider

Attached Files:

22. wolflover4ever

wolflover4ever

i am Johnny Shackleford grand daughter im just now finding info can anyone here help me

23. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

wolflover4ever, If you go here...ChampCarStats.com...then click on...The Men Behind the Wheel...then click on S for Shackleford..He is there. I see it's your first post so welcome aboard. Denny Z.

24. wolflover4ever

wolflover4ever

yes its my first time here thank you i have looked alot of stuff up but most about how he died i would like to know more about him his middle name family i may have i dont know thank u denny im sarah

25. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Sarah, He was before my time but there are a lot of folks on here with lots of information and history. Good Luck.....Denny Z.

26. wolflover4ever

wolflover4ever

thank you so much for ur help denny =)

27. wolflover4ever

wolflover4ever

can anyone tell me about Johnny Shackleford hes my grandpa..long story

28. sideways27

sideways27

I hope this is not O/T, if it is please remove.
    I am working with Arlen Kurtis regarding bring back old Kurtis Kraft items and marketing them. This would include the old Indy Roadsters his dad built. If there is enough interest and demand we will try and make this happen. Please PM me and do not post on this thread.
    Thank You

29. wolflover4ever

wolflover4ever

30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

To: Historic Champ/Indycar Group
    Ray Alcaraz Lake Havasu City, AZ Indy Event Coordinator
    Subj: Vintage Indycar Event at Havasu Speedway
    Friday and Saturday Nov 9th and 10th 2012.

See the Event Flyer Below for details.

Announcing our second annual Vintage Indycar Event at Bill Rozhon's Havasu 95 Speedway in the beautiful Colorado River Country of Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Ray Alcaraz of Havasu City, AZ is the force behind this group and welcomes all communications with any interested owners/drivers. All vintage Indy and Champ Cars are welcome.

As we did last year, there will be ample track time all day on Friday and Saturday for the Vintage Champ/Indycars to practice in their own group.

Saturday evening we will run an Indycar Exhibition for the fans in the stands many who will be introduced to a vintage Indycar up close and personal for the first time.

The goals of our little SouthWest group is to develop a core of Vintage Indy/Champ cars, build this event at Havasu 95 Speedway, promote our segment of the sport, reach out to other SouthWest venues and support Bill Rozhon's 'Toys for Tots' drive.

The promoters of Tucson's wide 3/8th mile paved oval have expressed interest in our Vintage Indycar Group for a show sometime in March. Ray Alcaraz will let us know about this possibility as talks progress.

Hope to see you at the races. We had a fun time last year and plan on doing the same this year.
    Please spread the word to any vintage Indy/Champ Car owners.

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/?action=view&current=indy-flyer-Final2012.jpg

[​IMG]

Here's a link to some photos from last year's event that was covered by Victory Lane's Vintage Oval Racing Magazine:

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Havasu%20Nov%203-5%202011/?start=all

Demo of Offy start up for the fans:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2596185827351

[​IMG]

[​IMG]