Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Planets Align & I Buy a '41 Willys Coupe: Can you help track its racing history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Jun 18, 2012.

1. magooz

magooz

Brian,
    That's a very rear fine to say the least! You really lit up the board on this one! We're in Seattle, Wa. and my best friend has this all steel Willys Coupe with an AI Glass tilt front-end he built in '67.. It's been in storage until three+/- yrs ago. Then we moved it to his new home where it sits to this day. We've all tried to get him to bring it out again as it's too nice as is to update. Totally has the 60's Gasser look with a SB 327 with a Polished Jackson Injector and 4 Sp. I was told it ran in the 11's back then that was very quick in those days. Has all the goodness of the 60's with a Pont rearend, 11x16 Halibrands (rear) 4.5x15 Fenton Gydro's (front) and really long traction bars, etc..... MAGOOZ

Attached Files:

2. 41will

41will
    from Hanover PA

Just saw this now..

But if SBC was in it then or if it's what you can afford then IMO nothing wrong with that. Not every car ran a hemi obviously. (I go for more of the "That poor guy built that thing in his shanty garage scrounging for parts" feel) I personally like olds motors. But I like it better with not everyone wanting an Olds. So a hemi sounds like the way for you to go. :)

GL with it. Thing is uber cool. You got a very rare find in this day and age.

3. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

SBC's are KING!!! Cole and Zora should be Knighted!!! Chris

4. edweird

edweird

bring it to sc and i;ll letter it for FREE!

5. How did I miss this thread ! Wow Bass !! very cool !

6. Dilligaf10

Dilligaf10

Good find. My dream car but steel ones even rarer over in UK. I have to content myself with a glass one which I got a couple of months ago after 35 years of lusting after one.

A car called Slick Willy started me on the slippery slope.

So jealous but know how excited you must be, enjoy and do it what,ever way YOU want, not what you think people expect you to do.

7. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

That's beautiful man...congrats. Who's never dreamed of owning a Willys coupe?
    If it was me...I'd take that rear panel out, paint it like the car and hang it in my living room...that's a work of art!

8. rfraze

rfraze

9. Great short, any more from that episode ??

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Actually, that's not its exact twin. That's the very same Willy's that Bass got ahold of. Brian Bass himself will be on the show on Monday night to buy it from Richard..

11. n847

n847

So is that staged for viewers pleasure or what? I realize they have to do a little fudging to make the show exciting, so this wouldn't really suprise me!

Either way I can't wait to see this build happen!

12. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Yes, the same car in this thread is the same one on the next episode of the show mentioned above. Contrary to what some may think, none of the deal to buy the car was staged. I drove my Model A Coupe over to Richard's shop, got out to look at the car and we started dealing. They filmed it exactly how it happened. It's a little weird to buy a car on camera, but I wanted the car pretty bad and decided to do what it took to get it.

I had to pay a lot for the car, but I still think I got a good deal. Everybody that watches the show will know what I paid for it, and how much Richard made off of the deal (I honestly still don't know how much)...but none of that makes any difference to me, because I now have a bitchin' Willys Coupe! :)

Dave50 likes this.
  13. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

bam...
    yes you do.

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Glad to hear none of it was scripted. That's one thing that would have bothered me but now we all know this episode will rule. I'm glad it went to a guy who'll appreciate it. Imagine what Richard would have done to it to flip it..

*shudder*
    [​IMG]

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. IF you find the history of the car and IF it had a Small Block Chevy in it, then by all means put one back in.
    When I first got the Blair's Anglia, we didn't know the history of the car, neither did the guy selling it. So I first started building it with a Blown an Hilborn Injected 351 Cleveland and a C6. Something kept telling me the car had important history, so it sat for a number of years until I finally was able to nail down and verify the history. When it was first built it had an Injected 427 Chevy and a 4 speed. Once I knew this for a fact, I didn't hesitate to put a BBC and the M-22 back in it - the car deserved it and history needed to be preserved, even though I am no Chevy fan.

16. ScottV

ScottV

HOLE-Y crap what a find !!! Is there something wrong with me in that I like all the holes ?!?

17. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Very good find good luck with it Nice start

Trouble

18. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

I was wondering why you had been so "quiet" for so long.

All of those "reality shows" seems to find the "finds" we would all like to "find"!!!!

It will be interesting to see the "whole story"...... after all...... "inquiring minds need to know" :D

I am sure one thing we all agree on ..... "you" have got your hands on a GREAT CAR.

That's it for now..... got to go set my DVR.

19. n847

n847

Cool...I'll be watching the episode almost as attentivly as I'll be waiting on a build thread! Good for your!

20. :
    I had to pay a lot for the car, but I still think I got a good deal. Everybody that watches the show will know what I paid for it, and how much Richard made off of the deal (I honestly still don't know how much)...but none of that makes any difference to me, because I now have a bitchin' Willys Coupe! :)

Bass
    Congratulations a willys is a willys is a willys. and what you paid for it don't matter! Your Happy!! A couple of guys I know, one a real good friend was on American Pickers. They had fun was on TV and are now famous. Hell you are on TV with a willys can't get any better.;)

Don't worry about the history enjoy it. It took me 23 years to find the history of mine. It is not famous but ran out of a garage and back yard of two brothers. No name's who didn't have the money to run with the big boys but liked the Willy's and drag racing.

21. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

cant wait to see the show----glad u are happy with the car---thats what matters--

22. What a car! Congrats on the find, sounds like its found some good hands. I have never bothered to watch that show but I think I'll have to catch that episode.

23. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First bob on tv and now bass, tv's worth watchin
    g for a change!

24. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Awesome car! I'll be watching the episode to see the build! It's a REAL Willys Gasser, How much better does it get?

25. Elrod

Elrod

Looking forward to the episode! Should be a good one!

26. SOLO

SOLO

That's cool you got a Willy's! It doesn't matter if you may have paid a lot for it. As long as you are happy with it sitting in the garage is what counts. Make it yours! Keep us posted!

27. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

When is the new episode ?

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Tonight at 9 on Discovery.

29. PA-IndianRider