Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. jpm49c

jpm49c

Anyone racing a Ford Flathead (not a V60) in a midget back in the 1940's or 1950's? Any pictures? Thanks!

2. deuce354

deuce354

I doudt it, they were too big in size , also too big in cubes for most assoc

3. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's a few of My Buddy Keith's midget that he picked up two years ago........Rich

Attached Files:

• 295.jpg
      295.jpg
      File size:
      479.4 KB
      Views:
    • 312.jpg
      312.jpg
      File size:
      479.4 KB
      Views:
    • 315.jpg
      315.jpg
      File size:
      478.6 KB
      Views:
  4. DocF

DocF

That is a nice find. I would hope that he has started restoration, although it looks better than some of the cars we ran.

Doc

5. TommyA19

TommyA19

Johnny Ritter

OK, he was always my # 1 favorite driver. He was born on this date - August 27, 1910 in Austria. Today the first of a five part photo article on him came out on the New England Tractor website. Next four parts will hopefully be up this week, one per day - or maybe a couple a day.

http://newenglandtractor.com/racereport/ta/JohnnyRitternewpart1.htm

6. DocF

DocF

I don't get to say this very often, but while I did get to see him race shortly before he died, I am too young to remember much about Ritter. Still, I consider him a very important part of our heritage.

Doc

7. TommyA19

TommyA19

Those that had intentions to going to the Racing Expo at Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson , N.J. this coming Sunday – September 2nd – it has been cancelled. Confirmation on the October 7th date is due in the very near future.

8. TommyA19

TommyA19

Part two of the Johnny Ritter photo article is up, today, with the remaining parts throughout the week. Keep an eye out on New England Tractor Race Report.

9. TommyA19

TommyA19

It’s been quite a while since the National Midget Auto Racing Hall of Fame’s website has been back up and running. Last I had heard was they were searching for a webmaster?

Anyone know anymore on this?

10. Surfref32

Surfref32

Tommy, I'm enjoying the article. Being born in 1968, I'm not sure if I watched Len Duncan race but I know my grandfather and father did. He's my favorite driver simply because he raced and won at such an advanced age. I hope to be able to keep racing and winning when I'm that old!

Here's a link to the second page of the Johnny Ritter article...

http://newenglandtractor.com/racereport/ta/JohnnyRitternewpart2.htm

11. gtxrider

gtxrider

Nice article. Johnny Ritter was a friend of my grandfather. I will have to show this to my uncle who was a big fan of Johnny Ritter. My dad tells how he was at their when Johnny Ritter got his OFFY engine and the big Pontiac he drove.

12. TommyA19

TommyA19

13. TommyA19

TommyA19

A lot different, back in the day!
    While posting some history on the ARDC's message board, for todays date, I came across these races held on this date August 31st, in 1948, just in the Northeast area!

Bone Stadium, PA
    1 Nick Fornoro
    2 Buddy Chase
    3 Chet Conklin

Freeport Stadium, NY
    1 Tony Bonadies
    2 Red Marlowe
    3 Ted Tappett

Hinchliffe Stadium, NJ
    1 Len Fanelli
    2 Art Cross
    3 Mike Nazaruk

Rhinebeck Speedway, NY
    1 Johnny Rice
    2 Dutch Schaefer
    3 Stan Disbrow

Westboro Stadium, MA
    1 Johnny Thomson
    2 Joe Sostilio
    3 Bill Schindler

Today, in the Northeast area, NEMA has about 8 races so far in 2012 and the ARDC about 14 total for the season. Yes, back in the day was so much better! Oh, and a week ago, NEMA had a race in Oswego, NY - the only full Midget race in N.Y. for 2012. In 2011, there were zero full Midget races in N.Y.

14. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

TommyA19, Interesting stuff..Thanks....Every one of those named are in a hall of fame somewhere...or should be. Denny Z.

15. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

The only way I go racing. “OLD SCHOOL”

Attached Files:

• 039.jpg
      039.jpg
      File size:
      505.1 KB
      Views:
  16. DocF

DocF

The fact that the above photo is exceptional explains some of what is wrong with racing in general and midget racing specifically. We towed our relatively high dollar Offy on an open trailer with a car that had been a taxi cab. We had less money in the whole rig than one must spend on an engine today.

Bah, humbug!
    Doc:mad:

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Over thirty cars ran at Norton last weekend.

Here's the track and grandstand at Hamilton County this weekend. Picture from last year Friday after running. prepping the track for Saturday.

Attached Files:

18. baldtireman

baldtireman

Open trailer means people see the car,and ask questions.... sometimes they become fans. If... I was a promoter, I woulr give a $$$ bonus, and preferred parking to the open trailer racers. I would also pay the closed trailer guys to feature my track on the trailer sides and back door!(my ad design,of course)......

19. baldtireman

baldtireman

Doc: i don't race too much these days, but when we do we still tow the 410 winged car on an open trailer with a 77 Suburban.....:D

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My tow vehicle:

[​IMG]

Now all I have to do is finish the champ car.

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Baldtireman, that ain't a bad idea at all! I've maintained for some time now that these enclosed trailers have taken the "romance" out of racing. With open trailers, people see the cars and wonder. Same thing goes for the days when there seemed to be a car from the local track sitting outside nearly every gas station during the day. People would ask questions.

22. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Baby Bowes owned by Cassia and a few others before I found it. Wayne doerstler Leigh Earnshaw, morgantown offy mike Eisenour. Lots of history

Attached Files:

23. Always nice to see a Kurtis with the original windshield.

[​IMG]

24. gtxrider

gtxrider

How many of those tracks are still running? Sad ain't it! I still miss Pine Brook and Flemington here in New Jersey.

25. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

check the date this was on a tuesday!!! We will never see that much racing again.

26. TommyA19

TommyA19

The driver shown is Lloyd Christopher.

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

What a great photo. Did you notice his shoe sticking outside of the footwell bodywork and his toe next to the oil pan?

28. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Yes I would have to agree with all the comments! When I stop at A light. I have people asking where are you running at? I also get people when I am at the gas station. Asking where to go see the midgets run? I get a lot of “ I use to go watch them, but they don’t run them anymore” I know having to bag the injectors when it rains or tarp the car at the track when it raining. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. Its how my father did it & It will be the way I do it! Love to see the kids in cars I pass point and look at the car on the trailer! :D

29. No, didn't notice his shoe, I was looking at the paint bleached white from the alky spilling out of the carbs. Lots of great details in that shot.

30. Lumpy95

Lumpy95

TommyA19
    Love the old listings at Rhinebeck Speedway, NY third is
    Stan Disbrow....in the Sim Clark V8-60, his first Kurtis frame.
    Back then they had the first hauler, A converted school bus
    into motor home with an open trailer, outside toolbox and nothing
    ever stolen.