Register now to get rid of these ads!

jerks who call on your cars you have for sale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CADDY1

CADDY1
    from NEVADA

2. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

I've had my T-bird listed on here, CL and various other sites for sale or trade. I stated in the ad that I am not interested in trucks, boats or motorcycles, due to the fact that I need room for 4 people (which includes 1 baby seat and 1 booster) and Im just not in to water sports. At last count I have gotten 14 motorcycle offers, 12 truck offers and 3 boat offers. I am more than happy that people are interested, but it makes me scratch my head sometimes. Especially the " I know you said no bikes, but this ones going to make you change your mind" emails.

3. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

This made my day... :)

4. bluthndr

bluthndr

I have given others a % to post the ad for me and field the phonecalls and no show idiots. I don't have the temperment for dealing with that sort of people...

5. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

I always tell them to get the hell out of my yard & I think I'll keep the car.One time a man went to my sisters house (next door) to ask about my car that wasnt for sale ,he got short with her & she ask him to leave-she called me & I caught him at the end of my long driveway & motioned him back up -he walked all the back to the house , then I ran him off

6. bluthndr

bluthndr

Just had to add a positive:

Bought an OT truck for my wife on CL. Called and asked the guy the normal questions, and told him if he believed it was as nice as he said, drive it up that day and I'd pay him asking price for it. It was so nice I felt like I was stealing it, and paid the man in 100s on the spot. Flawless deal.

Another was buying two coupes from a fellow hamber. Drove like 8 hours with my two sons. He saved them for me on a "handshake" deal for 48 hours, and there were even better than described.

It's not all bad, but the bad ones sure can be more entertaining.

7. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Better than starting another thread on the same topic. At least he knows how to use the search function...

Enjoyed the stories and learned some lessons.

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

lol!!!! :) :) :)

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what a fun thread. my latest worn out POS I sold for $244.00 directly to Pick-Yer-Part. I made one call to thier "sell us your car" number, and received one call when the driver was on his way.

easy squeezy.

10. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Great stories ! Here's a quick one that worked out well . I was at Pomona swap meet about 10 years ago and I see a 46 Studebaker M5 pickup for sale with about 10 guys around it . I always thought they were pretty funky so I look at the sign : $2000 , drives great !" It was really nice for $2000 , I heard somebody complaining it needed paint etc. (before faded was called patina) The owner saw me looking at it and said " I'm tired of hearing all this bullshit , if you like it , make me an offer and it's your's , I need the room . " I said " All I got on me is $1000 " He said "SOLD" A couple looky loos were PISSED . I handed the guy the $1000 , he gave me the title and keys . The one guy says real loud " That's BS , I've been looking at it for 1/2 an hour and I would have given you $1500 , guy says back "LOOKS LIKE YOU LOOKED TOO LONG , DIDN'T YOU SEE THE FU$KING THING JUST SELL !!!" It was a great truck , had it for several years until a movie studio guy offered good money for it .

11. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Great stories, enjoyed reading this thread 9even though its years old).

I have had similair bad experiences, but keep thinking of something funny when I sold one.

Talking about people not reading the ads, i had a chopped and channeled 66 chevy pickup for sale in the local paper. Apparently nobody in OKC knew what this meant, because I shit you not everybody that showed up to look at is was over six and half foot tall. I had one sasquatch looking dude come by twice to look at it, even though he literally had to fold himself sideways to see out the 11" windshield. I told him he could probably fit if he pulled out the seat like Hightower on Police Academy.

Luckily the guy who bought it was a short little elf like myself (and he paid in full- CASH).

12. I have another O/T vehicle on Craigslist now.

I said in the ad that scrap is $281 a ton and I wouldn't take less than the $700 the scrap yard will give me; I also noted this truck has a bad brake line.

I've been offered less about five times, including one guy who was shocked I wouldn't take his $450, and one guy who offered $200 and a 47-inch LCD TV in trade, and I had one guy ask if he could come drive it.

I'm about ready to drain it, drop the tank and drag it to the scrapyard just because I'm sick of dealing with these people. And I haven't yet got one to actually come look at it.

13. 327Eric

327Eric

had a beautiful 66 f 250 camper special for sale. 3 years ago $2500. Nice paint, interior ac, ps pb-loaded original shiny truck. Lady drove 3 hours to to look at it liked,it,(she wanted an 8 lug, all power auto trans old truck.) but complained it was a little bit of a dog. (it was). I told her for some extra money(600) i would put a holley 4 barrell, an edelbrock intake and advance the cam 4 degrees(it was a 70's 351c). She agrees, i did the work, and tell her its done, and the price is 3100. She then offers me me 2,00, for which i told her to pound sand.
    2 weeks later, i get an email, with a picture of the "better deal" she got.
    A 65 f100,, 4speed, rubber floor mat, ripped seat, no A/C. Her hubby, who didn't know a wrench from his asshole, was gonna put the auto in it for her.
    at that point, mine was already in Santa Barbara.
    At this point, i'd rather junk it than deal with a craigslist add.

14. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

A buddy, a retired LA fireman, had a fiberglass bed cover for his 76 El Camino. He sold the car and the buyer did not want the cover. Hew paid $600.00 for it new, it was two years old, still looked good and the lock worked, etc. He put it in the classifieds for $100.00, thinking that he would help some one out and sell it cheap.

Along comes the first buyer, a "slick Willie" type and starts to find fault with the cover and offers $50.00. My buddy says "hold on", he went to his garage, got his chain saw, came back and fired that sucker up. He cut the cover in half and said "SOLD". The guys ran to his car, and got out of there in record time.

No $100.00, but a great story and a great way to treat a asshole.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^^ people are stupid. when I am selling something at a cheap price on C-list I put right in the ad "priced to sell at $100.00. no offers considered". anyone so bent as to break an item beccause of an offer should just throw things away.

16. papajohn

papajohn

My favorite are the guys who didnt come look and haven't asked any questions but then ask how low I will go or offer me half of what I have listed. I always say the same thing come look at it first and make an offer. I have a buddy that won't pay asking price for anything. If he can't get it less he doesn't feel like he got a deal. Most times he will buy if the guy comes down $1 but walk if the seller holds tight.

17. Saxxon

Saxxon

Bought a 66 F-100 short box a number of years back to get the 428 that was in it. I pealed out the engine and trans and put it up for sale. I included, what I thought, was more than enough description to keep the problems to a min.. As-Is, for parts, no engine or trans, not running etc etc etc. Even had a picture of it with the front sheet metal off with an obviously missing engine and another of the front end on the grass. It had a decent box (trailer??), good 9" rear w 4.56's and some good interior pieces. I was asking $100... please come and get it.

Go figure... I get bombarded with goofs asking if it ran, can I deliver it, What size is the engine, will it safety.... but the best one was a guy and his "posse" show up and give it the once over. Then he starts the walk around with verbal critcism and he starts adding dollar values to the issues. In the end he offers to take it off my hands for free... if I deliver it... 50 miles. I just shake my head, tell him no and to cough up a $100 or stop wasting my time. He calls me an ass-hole, flashes a gang sign or two and wander off laughing at me.

A few days later a Dad and his 17 yr old son show up and the Dad does the same walk around with his son quoting prices only this time it's to make sure the kid knows what he is getting involved in. In the end the kid buys the truck. I liked the situation so I threw in a good running 302 / C4 that I had taking up space. 3 years later I run into the kid / truck at one of our local Sunday cruise ins. It was still rough but a LOT of work had been done, the donated 302 / C4 ran like a top, and he was enjoying the hell out of it. I've seen it dozens of times since then. Always a bit more finished.

18. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

i GOT A complete 68 2DR HARDTOP CHEVELLE BODY for $600. Yeah a 68, No dents but typical rust at the bootom of the front fenders & around the rear lip, yeah it needs work, but for $600, What do you expect??? Just a bunch of Lookie-Loos & Nit-Pickers. And what do they say, "It needs alot of work, its missing the motor & trans". NO SHIT ITS JUST THE BODY

19. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10-4 to that !!! my girlfriends kid totaled her blazer this weekend and the local yard paid her 400$ because it still ran and they came and picked it up.

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a white '63 T Bird that the previous owner had removed the intake manifold, valve covers, rocker arms, and heads from, to do an 'overhaul'.
    No rust, no dents, original skirts, my wife and I detailed the car inside and out, even the red carpets were excellent.
    Other priorities arose, and I advertized the 'Bird for $1500, engine partially dismantled.

A dipshit emailed me with a list, saying he would need:

All the parts cleaned, painted where necessary, laid out in their respective positions of disassembly.
    All bolts cleaned and labeled, and numerically marked as to the order of sequence they would be attached.
    Only when this was complete would I be 'permitted' to email him with all the data.
    He would then 'make an offer'.
    I told him not to hold his breath.

Sold it to a young Rockabilly kid for a grand...he loved it.

21. Cortney

Cortney

Great way of think'n! Couldnt agree more! Made a lot of friends that same way. Although, I've had plenty of bridges that I made sure to burn, strap c4 to and watch it explode!

22. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I called a place that advertises that they haul junk cars off for free. Fair enough...I had a parts car I had stripped and just wanted it gone. Probably still weighed 2500lbs. I tell the lady I have a car they can haul off, and she goes right into her speech: The gas tank must be removed, the car must be able to roll on 4 tires, and I must be home from 8AM to 5PM since they don't know when they will come to get it.

I juts laughed and told her beggars can't be choosers....then I hauled it to the scrap yard myself.

23. 38zephyr

38zephyr

1 more kind of positive one I just remembered from about 9 years ago ... My Dad had 3 59 T-birds he wanted to sell , so I put them on Ebay for him as a package with a reserve of $10,000 . In the last minute a guy from Brazil hits the reserve and is the high bidder . In the listing I had specified full payment within 7 days and I sent him an email with my Dad's info for the wire transfer . He emails back that he is arranging shipping and will wire the money . In like 6 days the money hits my Dad's account , cool ! The guy asks if the cars can stay put for a few weeks until his shipping is finalized . Okay , no problem . After a month I email him , when are you getting these cars ? Don't hear from him for 3 months , then he shows up in person at my Dad's shop unannounced , says he is here on vacation . Checks out the cars , he's happy with them , all good . I tell him my Dad needs the space , these 3 cars have been here 3 months , you need to get them to the shippers yard or start paying us storage of $150 per month for all 3 . Okay no problem I'll get it handled he says and splits . I don't hear from him for another couple months , my Dad is kind of on my case at this point and I'm emailing the guy a bill for storage each month and asking him to get the cars out of there . He finally wired another $1000 for storage after like 8 more months . So it's been a year and my Dad says tell the guy i'm not a storage co. and get his cars out of here . So I email the guy offering to trailer them to the shipper for him for $50 a piece . No reply , no nothing . After 3 months emailing the guy storage bills again , my Dad says tell him if we don't hear from him in a month we are going to lien sale the cars and he's out of luck . So I let the guy know all of this and we never heard from him again . My Dad got lien sale paperwork handled all legally and I resold them on Ebay again . I wonder if the guy got back to Brazil and maybe something happened to him and nobody knew about these cars , or he had a problem with shipping or ??? Believe it or not I actually felt really bad for him blowing all that money , he was a nice guy when I met him in person . I'll never know what really happened !

24. Saxxon

Saxxon

This is more of a ...sold it the wrong guy... kind of story rather than a jerk thing. Had a great 63 Nova that I resto modded with a stock interior, widened steel wheels with chevy rally caps and a warmed over 400. Great little car. Sold it to a kid I knew wouldn't appreciate it. He called a few weeks later and told me the front end had collapsed. I asked him to swing it by. The car showed up with some seriously cheap unilug Centerline style wheels and way too wide rubber with shackles and air shocks in the back and mismatched ET's on the front. He had rivetted on a really cheap looking snorkle scoop on the pristine original hood. I almost cried. Upon inspection I found a bent front rim, a bent front subframe and a dent from the top of the shock mount in the hood. I simply told him it was obvious he had hit a pot hole or a curb and there was nothing I would do. At least not for free. I heard he got it fixed by filing an insurance claim and somehow convincing the adjuster not to write the car off

I ran into him a few years later and found out that he had blown up the diff street racing and left it to rot beside his dad's garage. Dad got tired of it and sold it.

Too bad, I would love that car today.

25. I had some jackass rip my ad apart and tell me I was over the blue book price. Told him I just sold the car for my asking price and to go wipe his ass with his blue book. There's a reason dicker begins with the word dick.

26. Cortney

Cortney

I had a 67 Caddy coupe deville for sale that I didn't have for very long before listing for sale. I made it a lot better than what it was when I got it. Anyways, Get an email from some a-hole that claims he went to see this car a few months prior and was nice enough to inform me of how much of a rusted out p o s it is and that it's not even worth the price scrap would offer. Needless to say, I responded accordingly! The caddy was actually a pretty clean driver and 95% complete and original. All I did was get all the steel wheels back on it, thin whites, original wheel covers with bullet centers and lowered it. It needed new pushrods but ran ok. I went back and forth thru email about 3 times. The last one he sent he stated that he already bought a 65 convertible before he even emailed me the first time! I replied with " Why the F are you even wasting my time and get'n so worked up over my car when you already found something else asshole!!!" Someone else already said it but these guys just have nothing better to do I guess.

27. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

About 6 years ago, I'm helping my daughter buy her first car.
    Car after car, 99% of the sellers have wildly misrepresented the car, even after I ask specific questions, like: "Does the A/C work?" they say "YES". I drive 40 miles and when I open the hood, there is no A/C compressor!!! WTF! :mad::mad:
    (did they think I wouldnt notice?)

Finally we see this Cutlass, I ask: "is the title clear or salvaged?" Seller says "CLEAR".
    We drive it, and my daughter being cut from the same cloth as her dad HAS TO HAVE IT.
    So I pay him, and he hands me the title. It says SALVAGE!! :mad:
    My daughter wants it, so I accept the title and drive it home......

Attached Files:

28. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I had some fairly hard to find Chrysler parts in great shape. I didn't need them so I listed them on a Mopar site for essentially a give-away price - $25 plus shipping. These parts would normally sell for at least $100 if you could even find them. The $25 was just to cover my PITA of selling them and the fact that I had taken the time to remove them 25 years ago and stored them.

So, this guy jumps right up and says he'll take them. I check, and shipping is $12 by UPS. I tell him $25 plus $12 = $37.

He replies "How about $30 total???"

I never replied and after about 5 emails he stopped bothering me.

29. A little OT but I have to add this. I bought an OT car in the mid 80s for $750. about a month later some guy drives down my street, falls asleep and rams into the rear of my car. Fortunately he was OK and had insurance. I got $1100 from his insurance to fix it but before I did, some Mexicans come to me and say "We'll buy it as is for $650." SOLD!

30. Faus

Faus

I sold a 59 chevy truck a few years back and put in the ad "runs, can drive, frame has a rust hole near the rear bumper and body rot, but easy to fix". no lie there, but then this moron calls up and says he want to take a look at it. He stops by, sees the body rot, and the frame rust hole and says I lied to him, and offers me $100 for it... I got pissed and said "tell me where I lied in the ad? The truck has new brakes, rebuilt engine and trans, and new steering components." He said "For $2500, I expected it would be done! I'm looking for a ready to go car from the 50's!" I started laughing at him, and told him to get lost and good luck finding anything from the 50's fr $2500 that doesn't have issues. The day after I unloaded it, the guy called back wondering if I still had it and if I would take $2000, to which I replied, sold it for $2500 and a nash metro without a title. (sold that for $400 (it was a shit box) to a kid looking for something to fix up for auto-body class at his high school).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.