Register now to get rid of these ads!

Word to the wise...avoid UPS Store and others...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Sep 4, 2012.

1. In my last place if you use your mailbox and dont retrieve your mail imediately, you will lose it. Remote location+tweekers=need to use a PO Box.

2. Did the same thing; but I think the USPS web sight description was wrong when they first listed the new size box, The mailman got a laugh out of it too, even though he had already carried six boxes of 25 to my door, before I saw him and grabbed the other four boxes from his truck at the end of the driveway.

3. toml24

toml24

I ship using the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate FREE envelopes and boxes. It saves me having to go out and spend extra $$ on my own for boxes. Also, the USPS Priority Mail envelope will go coast to coast in 3-days and impress the hell out of the people who get when the mail man knocks on the door because the package won't fit through the slot.

4. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Great topic and good information. I use USPS, seems to be the best service and delivery to my door and I don't get hit with those extra fees that UPS charges to Canada. Also under the free trade agreement U.S. made parts don't incur duty so I try to buy parts made in the USA have the supplier state this on the package.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I found out the hard way that when you use someone like Office Depot to ship a UPS package you DO NOT get the same protection that you get if you take the package directly to a real UPS facility and ship it.

A while back I sold some hairpins to a HAMBer through the classifieds on here. He paid me and I took the package to Office Depot and shipped it, and PM'd him the UPS tracking number. A few days later he said the tracking number didn't come up in the UPS system and he hadn't gotten the package. I started tracking it and he was right, the number came up as "Not in the UPS system." :eek:

I went to Office Depot and the girl told me she saw my box leave with the UPS driver a few days earlier. So I drove out to the local UPS facility and got some shocking news. They told me it was not their responsibility until the driver scanned the box at O/D and therefore I would have to put in a claim with O/D, not UPS. UPS was pointing fingers at O/D and O/D was pointing them back at UPS.

Oh, I also waited at O/D and confronted the UPS driver with the information that he had picked up the package and he was VERY evasive and nervous about it. He kept walking as I was talking to him about it. My Son and I both felt he was hiding something by his attitude.

It was going to take 30 days for O/D and UPS to research my claim (the box was insured) and I didn't think it was fair to put the buyer in the middle of that so I refunded his money and put in the claim with O/D.

21 days later the buyer called me and told me he got home that day and the box was on his porch. No one knows how it got there, but UPS evidently found it somewhere and finallly delivered it. The buyer was honest and sent me my money and I cancelled the claim with O/D.

But just be aware that even insured packages shipped anywhere but a UPS facility do not have the claims processed directly by UPS. You will have to go through the package store you used, who in turn waits for UPS to pay them.

Don

6. You guys do realize when you ship Postal Servivice that our tax dollars are supporting that failed business model in som way shape or form?Q@

7. 62rebel

62rebel

we could hire homeless people to carry our stuff back and forth for us, at that rate..... they don't have anywhere special to be, at any given time, do they?

i was quoted a butt-clenching amount to ship a grille from SC to Missouri, that i was giving away.... neither the recip nor myself could pony that much up for shipping a gift.

the USPS may be a "failed business model" but it still employs a hell of a lot of people i'd rather not see adding to the unemployment lines.... i bet a few of them have rods too.

8. Back in the spring the USPS lost a very nice, already powercoated, front crossmember for my car.

How in the hell do you lose a crossmember???

Nope, won't use USPS on a package of value ever again.

And the USPS wonders why they're not making any money.

9. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I worked @ UPS (the Brown Destroyers) as Xmas help when I was a kid. Pkgs were not handled tenderly even back then. We still use UPS on occasion & if we have to send it ovr/nt, their prices are about DOUBLE what Fedex charges!

If you have a Fedex acct, you get a greatly reduced rate. It's really cheap compared to UPS.

I like the USPO's Flat Rate setup. It's served me well for years.
    You should've seen the look on the counter lady's face when she picked up the box with a Poncho flywheel in it! :D

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

Small items,valve covers etc go USPS ,Large items wheels,tires etc. I let the buyer handle the shipping,recommend Fed-Ex give him size and weight of package. He sends me USPS Postal money order and shipping labels. I call Fed-Ex,they pickup next day and haven't had any problems at all. UPS and Fed-Ex shipping boxes are expensive as hell so I don't use them at all.

11. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

My UPS counter person is a real BITCH! I hate going there. Always hits you with attitude. In before this thread dies.:D

12. Yeah the UPS branch by me has similar attitudes and shitty operating hours ta' boot. 4pm-6pm sharp! You snooze... you loose!

Because of this, I've been going to Office Max for the FedEx service. Top notch, excellent "friendly" service and I've never beed charged a "service fee". I have verified the cost of shipping my packages through the FedEx website and it's always been the same or a little less when I checkout at Office Max.

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

My job is to deliver parts in a timely manner to customers for a reasonable price.If a failed business model does that I will use it.

14. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

15. Ha Ha!

I'll have ta' give ya' that one Stang!

I'm your typical New Yorker, always bitch about the weather, the taxes and the fees, but will probably die here. :rolleyes:

16. upspirate

upspirate

We ship stuff out through both UPS and USPS.

We have accounts online that Deb uses & prints labels then tapes to the boxes....no business name necessary.Just charges card.

the USPS will pick up at our front door if she specifies, or can drop off at local Post Office.

I take UPS Pkgs to work and drop off after the online deal.

One friend that does E-bay a lot,says if you ship UPS through Pay Pay,they give you a better rate

I won't even get into the poor handling I see at work....it disgusts the older employees.:mad::(

17. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

So, Larry........when should I be on the lookout for the grill? Tracking?

CB

18. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I am taking it to Hershey with me and handing it off to his close friend...HE will see to it that it gets back to Finland!

CB

19. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

ahhh you can't write better comedy than this lol

20. 52lomofo

52lomofo

it's much like U-Haul they want $3,914.oo plus taxes for truck and dolly from here to calgary likely another $1000.00 for gas they can charge what ever they want no comepition just came from a drive and found a 92 chev cube van 14ft newly insp last week 170,000 on the motor and 300.000 on the rest with a hitch for $2900.00 and can sell it when i get to calgary and get some of my money back

21. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

While I'm not disputing the original problem at all...
    In my case, in So. Cal., things were just the opposite.

I went to the UPS web site, I also called the main UPS outlet with all info, they both had "nearly" the same price.

I went to the local UPS, FedEx store...both UPS and the FedEx prices quoted were "less" thAn the the web site or the outlet. All "different" prices by the way..

So all the parts I sent out..went to the local privately owned store, out of 15, 19lb. as packaged, V-8 camshafts that went out, I had no problems with any of them.

Mike

22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

whats wrong with USPS

23. They loose things!

24. I'm still waiting for Fed Ex to tell me how they lost a M/T sportsman tire at a very small town depot :rolleyes:

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

One other strange situation I had was where I sold something on Ebay, took it to the post office and shipped it out. I paid the post office what they asked for when I shipped it. Later on the guy put in feedback that said "Item was as described but I had to pay the post office extra shipping costs when they delivered it." What's with that ?????:confused: Once they take your package and money that should be it.

Don

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you are selling on "That Auction Site" and using a UPS STORE to ship things don't your buyers complain about being screwed on the shipping cost? Bob

27. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Not that I really care but how is this thread still alive? It has nothing to do with traditional hot rods & customs. I know if I stared it; it would have been killed by the third post...just sayin.

Okay mini rant over.:D

28. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

I use UPS store regularly ..worth it for fine packaging ..keeps my feedback high

29. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

buyin sellin swappin is hot roddin

30. AMEN to that Spiderville!

Complainin' instead of contributin' aint hotroddin'!
    I wonder how many of these serial complainers show up at a friends house and stand there complaining about everything instead of picking up a mother f*****g wrench? I suspect the answer is NONE! So why the hell do they do it here CONSTANTLY???