Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old plane spits oil all over the shoebox, another paint job bites the dust...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sparkydeluxe, Sep 2, 2012.

1. firingorder1

firingorder1

Think of it as a form of "patina". There are guys on here that would pay good money for a paint job like that.

2. my fenderless 29 had a bad rear axle seal forever.spots all over the sides.didnt 'Ruin' my car.i scrubbed it with 'awesome' cleaner and touched it up a bit.looks fine

3. At least it won't rust where the oil stains are.

4. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

Just marking their territory :D

Talk to the pilot, I bet you could wrangle a ride... it will be one of the coolest things you ever do!

EDIT: WHOA!! Hold up! This was in Colorado? Where?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  5. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

I've had cars in primer get nailed with oil in the past, and all is not lost...An oil can fell off a shelf and landed onto a hood in primer, and I was able to remove all the oil with this method. If you go over the entire car with 2 double rags, folded, one SOAKED in 'Pre-Cleano", "PrepSol" or some other type of automotive paint prep wax & grease remover, and one dry, you can get the oil off, and not have to strip it to bare metal to paint it. The sooner the better, I would think.
    Try this...take 2 SUPER CLEAN rags and fold them together, they'll make a nice, thick pad that will hold lots of solvent. Soak them completely in the solvent, wipe it on a small area, completely saturate the primer, get it real wet, and while it's still totally wet, wipe it off until dry with the other clean dry rag. Do this twice at least, changing rags frequently. What it does is put any contaminant, wax or oils into solution and "floats" the oil, or other contaminant out of the primer and, and when you wipe off the wet solvent, you wipe off the wax or oil...I've fixed numerous disasters with this method, including this one:
    I had a girl cleaning my office at the shop, and she waxed the office floor-looked real nice, only problem was she used one of my wet sanding buckets to apply the wax. I wet sanded a major restoration with that bucket, and in the spray booth, the first coat of paint literally slid off onto the floor...took me a while to figure out what happened...but with this "wet & float" prep-solvent method, and some FEE, (fish eye eliminator) in the finish coat, the paint finally laid on real nice...still looks good too, 20 years later...

Anyway, just an idea to try, a gallon of prep-solvent is maybe $30.00, might be worth a shot. But as stated before, primer IS porous, and things will soak into it unless it's sealed.

Way cool plane, though, just sorry it leaked on your ride!

Eric

6. Bitchin' Shoebox Pissed on by that bitchin' Dakota. I've not heard of C49's. Beautiful nose on that plane. Thanks for sharing your history, you have to laugh..

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You parked next to a DC3 sporting Pw R1830 Twin Wasp's and didn't expect oil in abundance??
    Bad move! But as has been mentioned there is a thing called soap and water, now if you can track some of this stuff down you may be ok!!

Try and get a ride, very fun planes to ride in, I have almost 30 logged, they hired one at the Military Parachute Nationals one year so thats 30 take offs and no landings in one!

I would feel privileged, the P&W R-1830 has been used in more aircraft than any other type of engine, from fighters (CA-Boomerang/FFVS j-22) to most all freight aircraft of the late30s-40s. Very historic oil that......

Doc.

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Plane is awesome.....and judging by the grinded down weld on the car picture you have some bodywork to do still, so all is good i guess.
    Nice shoebox BTW.

9. Just be thankful you didn't go to the zoo, and park near this baby starting up!!-MIKE:eek::D

[​IMG]

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is just..........ugh!!!

11. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Years ago (although it still makes me mad) I picked up my car from the body shop and was on my way home when this idiot switched lanes running me off the road. By avoiding the other car I damaged my new paint job. I hadn't even put the bumpers and trim back on the car. Yep, still makes me mad.

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

I was driving home on a road trip in my 37 Chevy PU,epoxy primer. Pulling a long grade in PA and coming up behind a late model VW car that was had a trail of steam coming out underneath...Just like that the WV engine blew in a cloud of smoke and oil.The front of my truck got splattered in oil but I just motored on.

13. Mike

Mike

Wow! Those oil spots are pretty bad. Now you hardly notice the swirly sanding marks and the frayed paint edge. ;)

Oil and chemical stains are an expected hazard when running a car in primer. Probably would have got much worse on the highway following an '02 Camry with bad rings.

14. There are only three kinds of airplanes in the world that are known to the casual observer. A Piper Cub, a DC-3 and some kind of jet.

15. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

This C-49 has Wright R1820 engines. The same basic engine as a B17. If you look at the engine cowlings, you will notice that they are a bit shorter than the normal DC-3 cowlings that have the less powerful R1830 engines. This particular plane has a bit more get up and go than the average DC3. The guy that owns the plane is one of the nicest guys in the world and an ex B2 stealth bomber guy. I was honored to help him replace one of the bottom cylinder jugs on the left engine about 2 months ago. Huge pistons. Jim pays for that plane and gives rides to people for next to nothing just to help recover a small fraction of his fuel cost. Look up Greatest Generation Aircraft out of FtWorth, TX.

16. wizzard23

wizzard23

While looking at a B-17 at an air show, an ol' boy on the crew 'splained to us "she burns or leaks 5 gollon of oil an hour". They did have big drip pans setting under her engines.

17. Hey , are we talking about old planes or what to do about oil spit stuck in primered grinder marks ?

18. greg

greg

Several years ago I had a 57 ford pickup, that had a good paint job.
    At work one day, there was a train setting close to it idleing for a few hours and I wasnt aware of it.
    When I got off work it was covered with diesel fuel.:eek:
    It was cold as heck that day, thats why it was setting there running, so I go to the car wash to try and spray it off, but the water was freezing as soon as it hits the truck.
    I got it cleaned off so the paint was fine, but it taught me to never park by a train again.

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats what I get for trying to be a smart ass! Corrected by someone who really does know what he is talking about!
    I actually appreciate it, one is always learning. Still have a love affair with classic aircraft, still remember my first ever flight it was in a Stinson SR7 Reliant. Oddly I found I enjoyed working on them better than flying in them.........so I joined the Army and became a Medic?? Go figure, spent a lot of time at Moorabin Air Museum (http://www.aarg.com.au/) spent a lot of time on the Beaufighter, what a plane!!:);)

Doc.

20. I don't mean to be intensive but sweating a 40 dollar rattle can paint job isn't worth getting upset about.

The car looks great and you still have some body work to,,just drive it and have fun. HRP

21. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

A dc-3 spit oil out on your car.... you should be honored and say "Thank you" and "FUCKYEAHMERICA"

What did you expect with primer?

Simple green cuts it mostly... maybe apply some baby powder on top to soak it back up.. just an idea.

So at the end of the day, it's primer. Sand , strip and repeat.

Be glad it wasn't $515 a gallon Ford moselle maroon from ppg.

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Damn , guys , take 'er easy , lol !! I don't think he's complaining , as much as saying "this is so typical for me" about his paintjobs . In the end , it'll end up being OK & will look awesome once it's repainted ... THEN it'll end up getting ruined by some other bizarre circumstance ;) .

I hope not , but if it's like the rest ;)

23. Larry T

Larry T

Kinda OT, but did they use C-49's during D-Day (invasion stripes)?

As far as the oil goes, I know folks that used to give their cars a good scrubbing with Ajax before painting them, but if you've been running primer over metal for a while won't you have to take it back down to get the rust off the body anyway?

24. mj40's

mj40's

Are you sure it is oil??????????

[​IMG]

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would be honored if a old war bird spit a little oil on any of my vehicles.

26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

On the upside.....that Box is killer!

27. Torx41

Torx41
    from Yukon,OK.

The C-47 was designated Skytrain for use by the USAAC. The Dakota was the designation used by the British in the RAF. A DC-3 is the commerical version, the C-47 is the military cargo version with reenforced rear fuselage, floorboards and wide cargo doors. Unless this C-49 was used by the RAF it is a Skytrain.

28. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

The C49 is a Skytrain and this one is a combat veteran, but I don't think it was there on D-Day. Jim just liked the invasion stripes. He is rebuilding a C47 that towed Waco gliders on D-Day. That one still has old pin ups torn out of magazines and glued to the wall that he unearthed when restoring the plane. I'll let him know he sprayed the car with oil. On another note, it could be worse than oil ruining a paint job. Some human pond scum drove out to Meacham Field one night where he keeps the C49"Southern Cross" and shot it a couple of times with a shot gun in the tail and near the entry door about three months ago.

29. Does the word insurance ring a bell ?

30. Larry T

Larry T

Any chance the C-47 is 5K? I've got a picture of my dad standing beside it in Ramsbury. He was a copilot on it and a Waco/Horsa pilot. He flew a Horsa into Normandy (St Marie du Mont, actually).