Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. chevy3755

chevy3755

nice set of tire stands

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

This is just my two cents worth as these are very cool but I think the front set should be just a tad wider.

3. budd

budd

how do you go about getting your car up that high?

4. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

This is my humble contribution. I call it the "jigpuzzle". This particular one was used when I tore down an engine. I just took a pizza box and punched holes in it with a screwdriver, then labeled where each set of bolts came from. It is much handier than using a dozen ziploc baggies. Using a smaller screwdriver makes a nice tight fit for the bolts so the whole thing can be stored horizontal or vertical, and it works great to hold the bolts for painting. Just be sure to take a picture before you paint so you know where each bolt belongs. ;)

Oh and if you're a greeny, it is recyclable. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. johnboy13

johnboy13

OK, it's my turn. This looks like crap but I needed it right away and didn't feel like taking the steps to make it pretty. It's a 21" deep socket for doing the springs on a Jag frontend.

Two pieces of angle and a cheap socket.
    [​IMG]

Weld the socket to one end like this and weld the other ends together to make a square for a 1/2" drive ratchet.
    [​IMG]

Look at all that threaded rod, at a third of a turn per swing of the box end wrench, that would take forever.
    [​IMG]

There you go.
    [​IMG]

Now I need a tool that makes cleaning up fun.

6. Or write on the inside of the box (after you scrape off the old cheese). :D

7. J53

J53
    from WI

I do the same thing, but before paint I put clear packing tape over the words, then masking tape over that. After you paint you peel off just the masking tape. The packing tape stays to reveal whatever you wrote on the cardboard.

8. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I use an old air filter for the same application.

Filters like these. Just put the bolt or screw between the fins.

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

9. bjinatj

bjinatj

Pure genius...

10. 1arock

1arock

Great this way I can loose all the bolts at one once saving me the trouble of loosing them one at a time.

11. toddc

toddc

X2 :confused:

12. Glen

Glen

I use a gantry crane on the rear and an engine hoist on the front. I have never put a car up there with an engine in it. They are great for running brake lines, fuel lines etc. on new builds.

13. Here is more of me ripping off Youngster's work.

Hand Tap

[​IMG]

Shear

[​IMG]

This one might be mine, I used the garage door as a place to hang things to dry. Nice and cheap, but is only good in nice weather. In poor weather use the garage door track, as long as you know you won't be opening it :eek:. Put a vice grip in the track to stop the door in case you forget.

[​IMG]

14. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I use plexi sheet for a ton of things. I traced some 36 ford subrails mounting holes and all from an intact car here and put them on a bare frame, and then used the plexi as templates for steel.unfinished but you get the idea...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Made a couple upgrades to the Welding cart tonight.

It had some pretty light weight hooks. I picked up a piece of 1/8"X1" at the farm store to make these.

[​IMG]

I saw a new welding cart at Northern Tool that had drawers, but the $220 price tag was too much :eek:. Got a two drawer tool box on sale at the farm store and added an angle iron frame to the cart. I made the cart taller a few years ago.

[​IMG]

16. bkap

bkap

Could you provide more detailed photos on the tap? Nice idea.

17. TJratz

TJratz

18. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

the plexi is an awesome idea,i have used it many times.

19. I'm cheap, I'll admit it. Why buy what you can build? Saw an attachment for the sawzall to shake the spray bombs, COOL! $24 not cool. The only thing that wasn't laying around the shop were the hose clamps. 20-30 seconds with a light pull on the trigger and no more tennis elbow. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I can see this showing up on the "Funny spray bomb woes" thread! :D

21. knotttty

knotttty

22. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

23. marsforlife069

marsforlife069

So I made this today, just another thing to add to the back of your minds. I got fed up with my tungsten getting messed up from the torch sliding around on the bench top. There isn't anything that pisses me off more then either breaking a gas cup or snapping the tip off a freshly sharpened piece of tungsten. I'm not sure why I went with a bomb or the saying "BOOM!" but it works and looks totally rad on my welding table.

The second thing I made is a sanding/grinding disc holder. I have disc strewn across my shop and it's hard to not only keep them organized but keep them flat. I hate that when you use a disc it ends up looking like a pringle's chip. I just cut this on my CNC Table and then used some all-thread.

Check out more if you'd like-

http://www.facebook.com/DftPlasma

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  24. bjinatj

bjinatj

Slapper made from a 2" wide cross hatch file that works very well. I ran a DA with 80 grit over the grooves in the file. It was a crosshatch file so works much like a shrinking hammer, but with more spread and not near as much marking to the panel...

[​IMG]

25. bjinatj

bjinatj

Here is a patch I made today for my 54 Chevy. It was made with a pair of thumbnail dies that I also made today. considerable shrink and little panel markings..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  26. I usually just set the hot tungsten tip on my leg so it can burn a clean hole in my skin :eek:

27. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

your SPOT on on that technique

28. Contaminated tungsten ---

I put the plasma cutter between my knees to move a clamp. ONCE I some how hit the button and burned a giant hole in my pants 100 times faster than steel and really got a plasma-ized burn on my leg. That's one of those things you do 1000 times without issue until ......

29. bjinatj

bjinatj

After having to brake a second 90 degree manually with a dolly I made these 90 degree Edge Setting Dies for the reciprocating machine..

[​IMG]

30. YocumBros.

YocumBros.
    from Raleigh NC

Thats awesome, I want a reciprocating hammer so bad!