Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 knocking valve noise. i need some imput

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60galaxieJJ, Aug 31, 2012.

1. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

ok so im at a tottal loss. we just put back together my sbf and started her up for the break in process and we kept hearing what SOUNDED like a loose valve so we stopped it double check all the valves, started it back up and same damn noise. so we stopped it and i checked to make sure all the push rods were straight and yes they were. the whole damn engine is new! wtf

these are the specs on the motor:
    302 bored .030 over
    289 heads new valve grind new springs, retainers etc
    rv cam with new lifters
    new double roller timming chain
    new distributor
    new everything!!!

im going to cut open some spare stock valve covers and see if i can adjust the tapping noise out of it while running. if i cant figure it out soon im going to pull the timming cover off and double check everything. i just wanted to get some imput of what it might be.

the only thing i can think of is that the timming chain MIGHT be a tooth off even though we were certin the dots on the chain wheels were aligned

2. You most likely have somthing in your cylinder . Trust me. I did this twice. Pull the heads . Don't run the motor.!

3. Master of None

Master of None

When you put the timing chain on did you also install the spacer that was between the timing gear and the cam? If you did you need to take it out. The new timing gear has that spacer machined into the back of it. With both installed your cam is walking in the block.

4. Deuces

Deuces

Post some pictures!!!!...

5. Blair

Blair
    from xx

Were you eating M&M's when you put the motor together? Probably one bouncing around in the number 6 cylinder......gotta be more careful with your hard candy

6. grabrr

grabrr

Did you measure the push rod length? What kind of rockers are you using? What year is the block, and heads?
    Most factory rockers aren't adjustable like a Chev motor, you torque them down and your done with a Ford.

7. Master of None

Master of None

289's and 302's if your using a hydraulic cam you set the tappets like a Chevy. Back them off till they clatter then 1/2 to a 3/4 turn down. Or at least thats how a old boy showed me with my 289.

8. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

did you soak the lifters in oil before installing them?

9. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

There could be so many reasons for this... If its injected, it could be a noisy injector along with all the rest of the possibilities.

Get a length of hose, use it like a stethoscope, and pin point the location of this tick. Hell it could be an exhaust gasket leak as well.

10. Auto trans? Loose flex plate bolt or cracked flex plate? Inspection cover not installed properly?

Manual trans? Does the noise change when the clutch is released or engaged?

Valve cover clearance issues? Look for witness marks the next time you pull the valve covers.

11. Deuces

Deuces

Just "'soaking" the lifters don't do crap!!
    You gotta pump those up full of oil before installing them!!
    Real simple to do.. ;)

12. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! I installed a set Crane FMS roller rockers on a 5.0L HO motor with the stock aluminium valve covers and those rockers hit in a couple of spots inside the covers... My trusty die grinder took care of that..;)

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

not rockers hitting the valve covers. Cut the tops off some junkers. The sound is quite at idle and just above idle it comes and goes like a loose rocker. I think the cam gear is off one tooth cause the sound is coming from the exhaust valves only, and they're just kissing the pistons.

14. Master of None

Master of None

Try pulling the distributor and take a long screwdriver and see if you can move the cam back and forth in the block. If so the cam is walking and you have too much end play,like an extra spacer. The only reason I say this is a motor I had bought of off Craig's list had this same noise,and that's what caused the problem.

15. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Good luck..I got one that only knocks/taps in idle or nutural put it in gear (auto) and it goes away. Got to look at it tomorrow...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  16. With the cam not broken in, go with a quick valve adjustment and be conservative. With it running and of course vavle covers off, loosen each rocker in turn until it clacks, tighten it slowly until it quiets down. This is the zero point.

Then go a 1/4 turn, wait until it settles out and go another 1/4 turn and again let it settle out. Go to the next valve. You can go to a full 3/4 turn after the cam breaks in if you want to (don't have a manual in front of me to double check), but this will get you going safely.

Bob

17. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Took the timing cover off and this is when I saw..
    [​IMG]
    I don't have a fuel pump so I took the fuel pump drive wheels off and bolted everything back together, start it up and its still making the same valve noise.

I'm going to try different length pushrods and see if that helps.

The weird thing is that these heads never made that noise before I had the machinist work the heads over.

18. If the motor is basically the same as before, I don't see the reasoning in dancing around with pushrod lengths.

19. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

That's what I was thinking but I'm just ruling everything out before I go to my machinist

20. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Are those the ones with the slogan "they melt in your mouth, not in you cylinders"?
    Lol:p

21. dynahoe

dynahoe

pull the plugs and roll it over slow by hand see if you feel any thing tight in any one spot if you do pull rockers one by one till it stops.did you rock the crank for and aft as you torqued the mains?

22. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Yup did all that already with no problems. I even pulled all the plugs and spun the starter and looked to see if I could see anything or any damage in the cylinders nd they were all fine. I'm also probably going to invest in one of those fiber optic cameras after this. Lol

23. Master of None

Master of None

Sure looks like your cam is "walking" in your block.

24. Deuces

Deuces

I wonder if he forgot to install the cam plate that's held on with the 2 1/4-20 bolts???
    Those were put there for a reason... To stop cam walk!

25. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Yea I thought that too but everything was in place. Since I don't have a fuel pump I think the drive ring was moving around too much since there's no fuel pump spoon pressing against it.

26. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Hmm I never saw a cam thrust plate even when I first tore it apart.

27. Kinda like this .. holds cam to block. I would think that you could possibly gets the parts at NAPA ( ?? ) Also .. google 302 cam plate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  28. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Yea weird I never had one. Balls looks like in need to take my timing cover off again

29. See my edit above. Are you saying it's not there ? It's crucial.

30. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Yea I'm not sure if my motor ever had one. Ill have to check