Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Feb 1, 2012.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

rad. thanks. the buckets look awesome.

2. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

This one is mine, a 28/29 on Duce rails, small late model Ford 4 cylinder. Yours looks more line a 30/31. Remember you need to be able to fit in it. I lengthen my doors an inch plus made them fit flush and also added 6 inches to the rear quarter panels.

Rex

Attached Files:

3. Beau

Beau

Thanks Rex. I have often been that weird guy trying to measure pedal to seat length at some of the car shows. So of the cars I measure of super short. It amazes me that people can even drive them.

Since I'm a bicycle guy, I have a pretty good feel for ergonomics fitting people to bikes. Hopefully that will come in handy. I will probably get burned for it, but I originally planned to just weld up the doors in. I'm slowly starting to think I should have doors, and take on the task of making it happening. We'll see what I can learn.

4. Beau

Beau

I got a phone call from my machinist saying my bellhousing was done. I dropped by this evening to pick it up. Monk, from the Flywheelers Car Club, does my machining work and has always been GREAT to deal with. the price is always right, and he loves doing oddball shit that most shops shy away from.

Before-

Factory 3-speed only bellhousing

[​IMG]

After-

Modified to the 4-speed Chevy bolt pattern, which will also allow me to bolt on my T-5

[​IMG]

5. Beau

Beau

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D

I started the move into the new work space today. It's less space than I had before, but is open, so I don't have to move shit into the alley and worry about meth heads and scrappers. I can now use tools that I have had in storage without worrying about my destroyed fiberglass garage door being pushed in. I don't have to say hi to the three trannys waiting for "rides" anymore. No more pissin in the weeds. No more "did I forget to lock the door, is it going to get broken into" moments. No more parking 3 blocks away during the day.

I also met a few of the old timers (60+) that have their hot rods and street rods there. One of the fellas had a set of old '36 Ford gauges out of his car. So I even found parts the first day :). They also gave me the lowdown on some swaps and were gearing up to go to a show tomorrow.

Anyway, I super excited to finally have a comfortable space to call home. My O.T. is finally in a space I can work on it after a 8+ year hibernation.

TODAY was a great day!

[​IMG]

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that looks like great space!

7. Beau

Beau

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and one more of the new space....The old fellas are working on stuff almost every day!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

That's lookin' good!

9. I love shared shop spaces. They can be a real push to do stuff.

10. Beau

Beau

I spent a little time with the old Orbit drill press I scored on CL.

I need to do some grinding and fit a plg and seal, but the Corvair steering box is now reversed. Thanks to the HAMB for all the info, it was pretty easy though.

[​IMG]

11. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just got caught up over the last two months.. That shared space looks real sweet! There's nothing like that around here. Then again, we don't have a lot of scrappers or methheads so that just about evens it up.

The ideas for the frame look awesome. The spray can trick's pretty neat too.. I'll have to try that out for myself. Keep the progress coming!

12. Beau

Beau

Thanks!

I had a chance to use an actual camera.

My new tool wall. It goes where I need it to. I'm not a fan of tool boxes. Made from free materials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Beau

Beau

I rolled and bent a tube for the start of the inner structure on the Model A. This will tuck under the old gas tank top and along the top side of the dash, then down to the body mounts.

I first rolled the center section using the tube roller, then carefully measured and bent the two sides with the bender. I'm going to roll the two sides a bit to follow the lines of the cowl as well.

[​IMG]

This photo shows the gas tank top section.

[​IMG]

14. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Damn good job on that!

15. Beau

Beau

Thanks man. I'm still learning how to use the bender. I need to figure out a way to add a degree wheel.

Today I wanted to go for a bicycle ride so I rode up to the shop. I had to put away the last remaining items from the move.

I placed the engine on jack stands withing the frame rails and trimmed the firewall again so it would clear the valve covers and exhaust manifolds.

After I did that, I bent and trimmed the first cowl support so it would sit inside the cowl. I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if I'm actually learning, but the support fits nice and tight in there. So far so good.

Next up, I'm going to bend up another support to fit up against the firewall, then tie it into the cowl support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Beau

Beau

Today I spent a couple hours trimming up the F1 crossmember. My plan is to make a plate that the transmission will bolt to, and that plate will bolt to the stock F1 transmission mount.

I still need to trim the bottom and bend and trim the little flaps on the top. They will tuck under inside the frame.

I had to go home to mow the lawn so today was cut short....get it?? !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

cut short...haha...good one.

i cut my lawn yesterday. i had been avoiding it for about 3 weeks while i obsessed over the roadster. i cut my acre with the tractor in 5th gear the whole time, so i could get back to work. the lawn looks okay, but someone really needs to cut it soon...haha.

18. Beau

Beau

I bought one of these a while back.

Swisher Big Mow Zero turn. I used one to mow an old mans lawn when I was 14. When one popped up on CL I had to have it. The frame had a couple cracks that need to be repaired, but I love it!

[​IMG]

(Photo taken from Google, but mine is the same thing)

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

all those cool weird mowers are in the midwest.

my pal nosurf has an awesome heckendorn.

you can't find that neat old stuff out east.

i am having a heck of a time finding blades for my 67 jacobsen.

but, i digress.

20. Beau

Beau

I left work today and went straight to therapy. I trimmed the subframe on the Model T back half so it would clear the transmission. After that I bolted the F1 pedals in. I'd love to be able to run them as is, but I'm not sure the clutch pedal is going to work where it's at. The actual pedal location looks ok though. Finally, I put the metal cutting bandsaw and new die grinder to use and roughed in some engine mounts. They'll need more work but I drew them up cut em out in about a half hour. I now have a better idea where my engine is going to sit and I can see that my steering column/box will actually clear the exhaust manifolds. That should save some headaches.

Nothing pretty yet...Winter is coming!

You can see the rough cuts for the engine mounts stuck in the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine mount pattern.

[​IMG]

Me and the reason I don't sleep....

[​IMG]

21. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Bitchin!

Whats the wheelbase going to be?
    I like how the front end isn't pushed out.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  22. Funny, cold beer helps me sleep good!!!!

23. Beau

Beau

I can't remember off hand. It'll be pretty short though.

I wanted to run the stock front wishbone and the first time I saw the Bleed Sweep I fell in love. I like the look of the stubby modifieds a bit better than the long and low. So that's why I chose to keep it stock.

These are some of the vehicles I have been inspired by. Roughly the height and stance I want.

Attached Files:

• d1.jpg
      d1.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
    • d2.jpg
      d2.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
    • d3.jpg
      d3.jpg
      File size:
      78.8 KB
      Views:
    • d4.jpg
      d4.jpg
      File size:
      87.3 KB
      Views:
    • d5.jpg
      d5.jpg
      File size:
      43 KB
      Views:
    • d6.jpg
      d6.jpg
      File size:
      64.8 KB
      Views:
  24. Beau

Beau

Whoa baby! Been busy! The snow is coming!

The stars aligned and I came up with some materials for my teardrop project so I had to go full tilt getting it sealed up before the snow falls. It's now sealed up and in full primer stored away.

[​IMG]

I went up to the steel yard a couple weeks ago and picked up a sheet of 10 ga. steel to make the rear frame section. I cut the rear section of the frame off and started to get everything level and set in place. But before that happens I need to wrap up the front end. A swap meet score netted me a cheap set of F1 brakes and hubs, so I have a good hub to use now (my old one was worn and caused a loose race).

One of the fellas in the club came over and we decided to get the engine mounts built instead. I had a pattern and had already cut some rectangle tubing that would do the job. I cut close to the pattern and ground the rest smooth to give it the shape I wanted. I used a 2" hole saw to bore holes in the mounts. The tubing I got is WAY overkill. The hole will also act as a place for the brake lines and stuff to pass through.

[​IMG]

I then cut some section of 2" tubing the width of the mount and pressed them into the holes.

[​IMG]

A little bit of welding and a bit more smoothing and clean up and they should be good to go.

[​IMG]

My clubmate worked on the mounts that bolt to the engine. I still need to shape them and clean them up but they should work out good. Getting the angle right on these was a lot of work. But after a lot of measuring it's well within spec. :)

(shown upside down in this photo)

[​IMG]

A quick test fit and they bolted right on.

[​IMG]

Until next time!

25. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Those motor mounts are stout! I dig em!

Motor mounts and rear bones are next for mine.

26. Beau

Beau

They are actually SUPER overkill. But I'm happy with them. I need to get the transmission mount set then the rear end is next.

Pogo came over again this evening and we worked on the engine mounts and got then welded in. Pogo also cut the fish plates/gussets for the front pie cut on the sweep and I welded those in at the same time. The engine can now set on the frame. The plates that bolt to the engine still need to be shaped and cleaned up, but for the time being they are doing what the need to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I set the engine on it it was time to see what the stance would be like. The front end is going to come down maybe another inch. I want the car to sit pretty much parallel to the ground, with maybe a hint of rake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Beau

Beau

Big thanks to 1pickup and iceberg460 for sending me the T-5 shifters!

My pay it forward will be going out soon.

28. Beau

Beau

I know my pictures are shit, my methods are primitive and it looks like rusty shit. But, I'm having the time of my life.

I drew up the pattern for the rear frame sweep. I will call it an 'S' instead of a 'Z'.

I should have them cut out tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a shot with the engine bolted in.

[​IMG]

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I totally disagree with that statement...except for the "time of my life" part!

Methods are primitive? No, you're just using whats available to you.
    You don't NEED a CNC shop to build an old Ford! LOL

Awesome little project and I check it for updates often. Keep up the good work! :D

30. Beau

Beau

Thanks, Bill.

I have been really collecting tools the past two years. I know they are not needed, but when I only have 2-3 hours to work on stuff, having the right tool makes my time well spent. Some people on here do nicer work, with less tools. I'm learning though.

I also mainly post pictures so I can look at them when I get home. My shop isn't in my back yard so it can be frustrating not having anything to sit and stare at.

On that note, my rear frame 'S' isn't exactly what I was going for. It's a bit 'harder' than I want. So I'm going to head up to the shop this afternoon and cut a new pattern, and hopefully the pieces out of steel.

More pics tonight!