Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. So your saying you have one for sale? I have to grilles. One is stainless and the one on the meteor appears to to be plated and the plating is toast. At this point i don't know which way i'm going. Meteor grille or bar. My hood ornament is pitted but like i said i'm on the fence at this point.

2. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Ted
    I wasn't planning on selling either the grille or hood ornament. But if the price is right I could change my mind.
    What about these they were the peep mirrors sold by Ford for the 49-50 Fords. They come up every once in a while on Evil bay. Mine were NOS still in the box for less that the cheap china crap ones.
    IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Cool hood-candy right there !

4. Those are cool. Pm sent.

5. daddio211

daddio211

I don't really care for peep mirrors, but those are BITCHIN!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yea , those peeps are pretty cool !

7. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Tedley you have PM's turned off on your in box. I'll keep my eye out for you. They come up every other month or so on ebay. Mine were NOS brand new in the box when I bought them for $18. I drove around with them in the trunk for the last 4 years before I found them in there hinding. I thought they grew legs and walked away or I lost them in the move.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

I just bought peep mirrors for my 50 Crestliner from Wirths Custom, expecting chinese junk. As soon as I reached in the box, I could feel the quality and good chrome. They are Made in Taiwan and are very good quality

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

What is the power booster off of, Please?

10. I have no idea what or year of the booster. A friend gave it to me. He kind of thought it was off a 80s chevette or something but wasn't sure. All i know it was just the right size and not to ugly. It is a single diafram thou.

11. Started taking some parts off the meteor today. The hood was the biggest thing. No rust underneath and straight except a minor goose egg. I'm going to install the meteor parts on my coupe and see what it looks like. The grille surround is really cool. The upper belt moldings are in excellent shape.
    Also scored a set of 56 olds caps today. Nice thing about hub caps, you can change up once in awhile for a different look.
    An oddity, at least i have never seen these, are the red colored interior badges for the interior window frames. I've only seen black ones.

Attached Files:

12. A few more pics of parts. After clean up it was discovered it has your typical rusted x members and floors. Trunk are is not bad thou. Wheel well is solid. The body is buildable for sure. Frame looks good with traces of paint under the floor and gas tank. Flatty is stuck but everything is there.
    Good build for someone.

Attached Files:

13. Just a recent pic

Attached Files:

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

How about the Meteor dash,is it different than its in the Ford products?
    Just curious...

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Looks good . I've got a really nice set of those Olds caps waitin' for mine too . They look pretty good on a Shoe , IMHO .

16. The only thing i see is the glove box door chrome

Attached Files:

17. that star is bad ass.

18. EBW

EBW

I never knew about the Meteor stuff, that is cool, and I dig all the extra trim that they added to body !!

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks,i had a hunch that there was something like that..

20. I've had some flattys in my day, back in the day, but never noticed these heads. ICM. Merc crank in there maybe?
    I also mocked another grille assy. Using the meteor uppers, the center bar, modified 50 lower pan and molding with the fifty side bezels. The upper grille surround would look kick ass chromed but it's getting body color for now.
    Oh another little thing i'm playing with is the air cleaner. Remember when everyone threw the stock air cleaners away and exhaust manifolds? Well try finding one today. This one is off a 66 sbf which resembles the air baths of the late fiftys. Goal here was to disguise the 87 ho into looking more like a old merc motor. I will run a fresh air duct from the air vents on one side. A cold air charge is just more efficient like all the new cars have today.

Attached Files:

21. the front end look great man! I am in know way a flathead expert. with that being said could those heads be the aluminum version that alot people want?

22. Rust in some spots so i guess the heads are iron.

23. ok cool as i said i am no expert haha.i love your build man. constant steady progress.

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The air filter is cool - I like the way you think !

25. Thanks buddy. I wanted it to look like i plopped a big ass merc in there. Maybe i'll throw a holman moody sticker on the air cleaner for flavor after it's painted gold.

26. larger than life

Attached Files:

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Damn you work fast ;) . Looks great !!

28. Lol. i just gave it a quicky shot of paint. I still have to finish it off nicer. But i think i like it so far. I had to make a 3/4 in spacer to clear the holley linkage.

29. Here's something i didn't know and some may be aware off. Ford made a filler panel in ford hoods to make a meteor hood. You can see a half moon line and the lead work in the center of the hood. Brazed and spot welded from inside inner structure.

Nice cherry hood as well.I was waiting for uglys to appear as i stripped it but it's all good

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  30. Well no pics worth taking but i do have brakes and no leaks, first shot. Did i mention i also got it running? My mystery motor i bought for 275.00 with trans turned out to be more than i bargained for. Althou i was looking forward to a garden variety 302 for good gas mileage, motor turned out to be a h.o. I wired it for a standard 302 and it backfired like crazy and i knew i had the dizzy in right. So after scratching my head i tried the 351 firing order. BINGO. H.O. and so much for the gas mileage. Great oil pressure, not a tick on fire up, ran 180 in the garage with the 66 mustang rad. Sounds real healthy and tight. A perfect day.
    So i thru a set of turbo muffs i had laying around on it and it sounds like hell. But good enough for now. They were free.