Register now to get rid of these ads!

unknown body found in NC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingpins, Aug 30, 2012.

1. kingpins

kingpins

could anyone tell me what this car is or maybe any idea of its history? i bought it from a guy at the NC state fair grounds flea market from the back of his truck for $150. he said he got it out of a old ladies yard in greensboro NC and was using it as a flower planter. most of it seems to be made from galvanized metal besides the firewall which is steel. any info or ideas would help

Attached Files:

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

unknown body? might be Jimmy Hoffa

3. no idea. that's wild , i've never seen an entire car body made from galvanized

4. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Naa, he's in kansas city.....Opps....Did I just say that out loud??

5. Bigjake

Bigjake

Looks home made to me.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Old homemade drag car body ?

Don

7. Naw they sold him to Jimmy Dean and he still resides in sewers across America.

As for the car body, I think that some pieces of a manufactured car met with someone's imagination, and from a distance it looks like a skilled someone's imagination.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. I also think home made. Did they even know how to galvanize sheet metal panels in the 20s?

9. kingpins

kingpins

thats what i was thinking maybe an old race car or something? its so weird cause it has wood in it and a wood dash came with it like a stock car of that era. its about the same width as a model T

10. It does resemble a late T body. Maybe it was built to bash the salt and someone thought that galvanized woud hold up better. It would be fun to make something out of it, like a center steer altered roadster.

11. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Homemade, race car maybe. Pretty interesting and I think you bought it right. I'd build it up.
    Tom

12. I also vote homemade because the top section of the cowl appears to be riveted to the cowl sides. Whoever made it was a good sheet metal man, and it would be an interesting car to build. A ready-built T bucket chassis should get you started, or if you're set up to do the fabricating, build a frame from rectangular tubing.

13. I agree it's home made because the top of the cowl is riveted to the cowl sides. That says race car, as I can't think of any production car bodies that were riveted together. Whoever built it was a good sheet metal man.

14. I agree it's home made because the top of the cowl is riveted to the cowl sides. That says race car, as I can't think of any production car bodies that were riveted together. Whoever built it was a good sheet metal man.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I think that one deserves to be a speedster or Go Job on an early chassis with a banger in it. Lots of potential for a great looking "very early" hot rod there.

16. looks a kind of like the 23 citroen we wonce had. sorry if it is a ratrod but here is the pic

17. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thats a Galvaneta, built by Italian Gypsys in the 20's. They would hand form the metal on stumps for a little wine. Very rare piece indeed!

18. VonKool13

VonKool13

It looks to be the elusive Rancid Von DingleDorff roadster. Only one made with a V13 flathead Y-block W motor. Also I think that one had tripple superchargers. ;)

19. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Whatever it is,its cool...

20. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Belonged to Jed Clampit.Lost it in forclosure .
    kool kar

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Looks to me like one of the many aftermarket bodies made for the model T,and other makes as well, in the twenties and early thirties. I know my buddie's Uncle Clayton had one in his backyard when we were kids...had solid white colored tires, and a galvanized body. When thse guys get serious someone will know what it is...:)

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's a Henway.

23. 2-TONED

2-TONED

it looks pretty neat!
    will look good sitting at a swapmeet for sale. take the money buy parts for the car in the garage sitting behind it.:)

24. VonKool13

VonKool13

You should use it to make rain gutters around your house, I hear galvanized doesn't corrode! :eek:

25. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Looks like a cool project.... And it would be definitely different than everyone else. Grab it, and let's see progress pics.

4TTRUK

26. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

27. R Pope

R Pope

I agree with Hugh M, it's a speedster replacement body. Lots of small businesses made them in the late '20's and into the '30's.

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know what it is but it looks an awful lot like the one in this picture. Not the green car, the putty colored job to the left.

There are lots of speedsters on this page but this is the only pic I can find, of that body.

As others suggested, it is probably an aftermarket body you could buy to make a sport model out of your Model T. These guys should be able to identify it if anybody can.

http://www.nwvs.org/CarPhotos/002B/002B.shtml

29. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Good eye there Rusty O'Toole. You have my vote.

30. the one in the pics doors a higher and the panel in front is cut different at the window cowl.. right?