Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2012 MELTDOWN DRAGS * Vintage Drag Meet * July 21-22

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Dec 19, 2011.

1. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

If there is any way I can swing it, I'll come out and help - although admittedly it's a long shot. While it's a bit different, for years I organized and promoted vintage kart races, and we had a period criteria, so I got used to having to tell people that their vintage frame with modern racing parts hung on it wasn't elligible to run. I know it's a drag to have to do that, and would make me a little cranky because I would think "didn't you read the flyer?!" More so when after a few meets it became clear that it wasn't ignorance, but simple disregard and that was annoying.

I've found that everyone likes rules as long as they get an exception. Keep up the good work.

2. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

all this discussion of criteria....
    sounds like you may wind up getting yourself painted into a corner where people show up and then complain publicly about the lack of enforcement or not getting in.......
    happened every time after a certain show in Oct.
    Try to just keep doing what you are doing and if people are freaked out about certain stuff getting in/not getting in-tell them they are not there for the right reason - it is meant to be a day of comradery and fun and seeing the stuff the way it was in the past.......
    too many details and you start to lose the fun factor.
    I was there the first 2 years and it was amazing - I hope I dont have to work next year!

3. Just tell them the track is rented for a Private party for invite only cars and unless they want to spectate then charge them the "Normal gate fee".

4. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Helping out for a hour isn't bad at all. Skinny Mike asked if we could help hang banners. We sad "Hell yeah, we work for beer". Took about an hour and had a few beers afterward, not bad at all.

5. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Paul and I also discussed pre-registered cars only.....your given a number (dont lose that) and that is how you get in....Keeps the Dumbness Train out on the road.....

We have a few idea's to try out.....anything like this is a nightmare...alot of guys DO NOT get what the event is...tons DO...but alot really do not get it. When you send a note back to someone and explain their Pro Star wheels are to new and the respons you get is the car is a 65 your cut off is 66....you know your in trouble.....LOL

Brothers racing, Eric & ZB.....THANK YOU!!! We will definately take you up on the offers!!!

Koop

6. bgas56

bgas56

....ahh,voices from the past,"...Keeps the Dumbness Train out on the road....."

Criteria for the event is pretty much straight forward.The guys running the event ALWAYS respond if you have questions regarding your ride.The key is get in contact with the group.

7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Why would anyone want to show up at an Elvis convention dressed up in KISS costumes...??

I don't get it... or better yet, they don't get it. I've talked a lot about this event and there is a real possibility we will have a much larger group coming down next year. Unfortunately, there are many who still don't understand that this is a celebration of a specific time in our hot rodding history rather than an all out competition.

I like the format and the restrictions. There were a few obvious exceptions made for non period correct scoops, intake systems and even cars but those vehicles contributed to the overall betterment of the event and put fans in the stands... or even better, will bring them back for following years.

I personally could have done without the modern altereds, they simply looked out of place. Although the yellow Fiat was a hit with my friend Larry as he used to own that that very same body more than a few years ago. (Very cool)

Bottom line kids... it's your event, therefore it's your rules. I am more than happy to play by them

8. hrbhrb

hrbhrb
    from Polo,IL

Well said, my sentiments exactly. The preregistration idea has merit. It would depend on the percentage of people who decide during the last week before the event whether to come. I suspect that a fair number of people fall into this group. On the other hand, I suspect that a large percentage of the non-compliers were also in this group. Certainly encouraging pre-approval and pre-registration (as was done this year is a good idea). My car is still proudly wearing its Meltdown Drags pre-approved sticker. In fact when I dropped it off at the shop for a paint touch up, I left instructions to keep the sticker covered to avoid damage.:D

9. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

If you have to "Organize" the pits, we for one would opt for leaving open truck and trailers in the pit area. We used the end of the trailer ramps a couple times for working under the car (with everything blocked of course). Also tools were all in the back on the truck. I don't mind parking the daily driver in the east lot and walking. Just our 2 cents.

10. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Saxxon.....as I told Jon from the Great Lakes Gassers....

It would be like going to a Civil War Re-Enactment....and seeing Civil War troops totally dressed like the 1860's and having them carrying an M-16.......
    Picture this in your head and you can actually hear the Dumbness Train...Wahoooo Wahooooo.....
    Awesome that you 150% TOTALLY get it...
    your right NOT a Drag RACE.....DRAG MEET!

Guys THANK YOU for the kind words....and we will be taking many of you up on offers.

Already working on a pre-registration idea with Paul & AJ....We appreciate the suggestions...and have a plan coming together already.

ZB....I hear you and understand....we may have to group some friends together so several tool boxes can be left in one truck....and 2-3 moved to East lot....etc.
    We want to minimize extra vehicles, everyone comes with friends so I think we can figure out a solution. We would like to not move any over....but only if we have to. There were some here and there that were simply support without a trailer that could have been moved....

11. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

12. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Very possible. Invite only so to speak....you will get a pre-registration number and have to provide that when you come in. We have NOT officially done this yet...but should have answers for you after this weekend.

13. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

UPDATE: ordered event shirts went out all this week. Saxxon, your 2 are going out this coming week so expext them soon....shop shirts and We Want You shirts should be going out late this week or early next!!!

If you want an event shirt....PAYPAL me at
    [email protected] $4 to ship
    if your getting 2-3 make it $5-$6 shipping.

LIMITED SUPPLY...order quick.

EVENT SHIRT ONLY...at this time! $20 ea plus shipping

qty

4 M
    9 L
    15 XL
    8 XXL
    4 XXXL

kids

2 s
    2 m
    2 L

14. hrbhrb

hrbhrb
    from Polo,IL

Here is an interesting thread that might be relevant to the Meltdown.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372986
    After some reading, I wondered if it might be a good idea to ask Byron to not treat the track for our meet. Many of us run 4 speeds and it seems to me that breakage is more of a problem than it ever was in the 70's. An untreated track should be easier on parts for those of us who are running sticks and fragile old rear ends. I will admit to being a bit of a dope for running the same slicks that I used with my automatic and then trying a 6000 rpm start with a 3600 lb car. My last two runs have resulted in a broken axle shaft, shelled out posi and two bent rear springs. I have the new rearend assembled and have ordered some 7 inch cheaters for next year. Hopefully this will help my problem, but I think the idea of losing the sticky stuff has some merit. Thoughts? comments? insults? donations to my axle fund?:D:D
    All are welcome. Bob

15. As much as I would like to agree with you, having my own broken rear end troubles, I realy can't. There are way faster cars that have to be taken into consideration. I would truely hate to see something happen to anyones due to a traction problem.

16. hrbhrb

hrbhrb
    from Polo,IL

I agree the faster cars have to be considered. I have no idea how this would impact them. I am interested in their thoughts. Some of the folks posting on the thread that I referenced were running much faster than I. If anything, they seemed to think that the untreated track was safer. Many of us ran last year after the rain and again this year. This should give some basis for comparison. Any observations from those who ran both years?

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

No matter what car I run in the future I plan on running a pie crust slick. I would be up for a non treated track. I don't see how that would be unsafe. I think the
    gas/fuel altereds would be less jumpy spinning out of the hole. Besides this meet is supposed to look like 1966 and it's for fun not your best E.T.and even though the Goodyears looked like our modern slicks they were still hard. I think the event is pretty much perfect the way it is, but Gassers and FED's smokin off the line is the way the old footage and magazine pictures have these cars. I ran at the hunnert and they must not treat their track much, even with an altered wheelbase I spun so how dangerous can it be we all did it over there.

18. hmmmm let me guess...

:D

19. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

You can guess, but even I don't know yet.lol

20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

In addition to a vintage pickup support vehicle, would there be any interest in a vintage fire truck in the timing tower/starting line area? Did many drag strips have fire trucks right at the track, back then?

My oldest brother Larry has a 1960 80 series Chevy fire truck with the original fire equipment and paint. It's a factory 348 truck,too. Surprisingly, it also has a torsion bar independant front suspension.

As far as an untreated track....That sounds good to me. However my 55 is only turning low 14's, so I'm not sure how this would affect the quicker cars.

21. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

YES YES YES to the fire truck....we also have a line on an early 60's ambulance for next year....little details that make a huge difference....THANK YOU guys for helping stay on top of this...alot of stuff to do, and these little details easily fall to the wayside

22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I'll start bugging him tomorrow about it. :D:D:D Don't remember what fire dept. it's from, except that it was from a small town down south of LaSalle/Peru ILL.???:confused::confused::confused:

The ambulance will be VERY cool, too. :cool::cool::cool:

23. mmiceli

mmiceli
    from Aurora, Il

Good morning. Adding the attraction of no traction will eliminate wheelstands, safe straight runs and speed. The crowd has little interest in watching sloppy runs. Nothing safe about loosing traction at half track. The people that base opinions on "pictures" from back in the day, have no clue what went on. I've been around this stuff for over 50 years. Read William Gault's book,"Drag Strip". then write about vintage drag racing. Thanks, Mark

24. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Take it easy pal, nobody said they were going to spray oil down on the track so it would be slippery. I don't want a slippery track , but I don't think you should be able to hook on skinny bias ply street tires either if it's gonna look like 1966. Have you run at byron? That track just plain hooks and they have built a reputation for it too. It was only a suggestion no need to get your panties in a bunch.

25. Saxxon

Saxxon

Oh oh... looked what found it's way into my shop...
    Sure going to try and get it on the Scout and sorted out by Meltdown 2013...

Can't say i didn't warn y'all

... Sorry for the crappy phone pic...

Attached Files:

26. Thats going to be sweet. Cant wait to see that scout leave with that on it was pretty wicked as it was last year.

27. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

GUYS....FYI on the track thing....there is probably a happy medium....one Meltdown participant told me he left his car sitting in the enclosed trailer for a few weeks after the event...he then went to move it out...it would not move.....then all 4 wheels tore plywood chunks out of his trailer floor.....how about that for a Super Glue commercial for awesome holding power...

28. smautobody

smautobody

I think a untreated track is dangerous period. I.ve been on them and its scary things happen fast. I can't even believe anyone is considering that.

29. Class Reunion

Class Reunion
    from N.E. PA

I'm also against not doing the best track prep possible. What ever you decide please make it known, I won't travel that far to run on lame track prep.
    Gregg

30. wow..better lengthen them wheelie bars..LOL

Rick
    =========================================