Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. studeboy

studeboy

The drive looks nice and the Hot Rods on it make it look that much nicer:D

The grille is looking good too.

2. I bought these mirrors on a whim. Had to have them, know how that works? I'm not sure if they are right for the 50 but they sure sure are cool. What do you think fellows. They are nos to boot.

Attached Files:

3. EBW

EBW

They are cool, if you like them, run them !

4. I like them but might be a bit 'Buck Rogers' for my car. I might drill 4 little holes and mount them to see if they grow on me. Car is under primer so welding them up later is not a big deal. I've done a search on them but can't find any info like origin etc. Anyone know about these?

5. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Right On!

Just an idea... perhaps some reversed spotlights on the ends of that cal custom center bar? And another thing- is "minty" just a Canada thing or can we Dakotans use it too? Bitchin' build!

6. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I have a couple pairs of mirrors that are similar. Very cool, but always looked like they need to be on a early sixties car. My dad put talbot-style mirrors on his '54 Merc SunValley and it looks good, kind of simulates spot lights in their shape. Mounting the mirrors on is the only way to really get a good feel on whether they work.

7. Well i put a screw in each one. Verdict? I kinda like it for now but i'll stare at them abit and see what my buddys think when they do the pop in. What's your take? YA or NA.

Attached Files:

8. tjsprings

tjsprings

what seats you plan on using. I have the 50 and boy let me tell you, it is impossible to find replacement seats so hope yours is good enough to refinish. If not and you find out what seat will fit the 50 let me know.

9. I only got the front ower with the car but have the rear seat which is coupe only. Being a budget build, interiors can cost as much as a paint job. I'm using a pair of buckets i found on line locally with the vanilla color i wanted and design is good enough. Also got enough material to match for the rest. So budget wise this is what i'm going with.

Attached Files:

10. jerseymike

jerseymike

still can't wait to see them skirts in paint. very cool and unique design. think i like the mirrors, kind of jet-like. (but not winnipeg jet like!)

11. Ya the mirrors are kinda 'buck rogers'. Ya paint would be nice. I did however got it running.

12. Mark T

Mark T

Is that a roller cam motor? I think you need to change the distributor gear on that '63 distributor if it is. BTW the car is looking great.

13. yes it's been changed to a steel gear and thanks

14. Bounder

Bounder

Lookin good, a little colder outside and I'm startin on a engine swap on the Merc.

15. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I vote no on the mirrors. Too as someone said Buck Rodgers. I have a NOS set of ford peep mirrors I am thinking of running.

16. Yes peeps are ok. Thing is, everyone has them and hard to see out of. I'm on the fence about them but looking at the car in real, they look kinda cool. Thanks for your input thou. Appreciate it.

17. Against my better judgement, like that always works, i bought another car today.
    MY name is Ted and i'm a caroholic.

Attached Files:

18. EBW

EBW

Hi Ted, Welcome to the HAMB.. you are in good Company.. :D

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

yeah, but that's a Meteor! Looks good too.

If you are at all interested in selling the beltline trim (below the windows, around the back) please let me know as I'll take if off your hands :)

20. studeboy

studeboy

The grille might be worth as much as the rest of the car. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. :D

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

So,you are a member of hamb merc club too?:D
    Looks like a good score!

22. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Not sure he qualifies for the Merc club, as they weren't "true" Mercs ;P

23. Would take another canuck to notice the moldings first. The main reason i bought the car was for those upper moldings, rare as hens teeth, the grille assy, hood, and 2 of the nicest bumpers i've seen in a long time. I may also use the vent windows, side glass, cool meteor hood ornament which is close to the real fighter of the day, etc. If my buddy, fellow hamber, wants to build the rest of the car it is a good body with the inner frt body mounts still in tack with a decent trunk floor from what i can see doing a quick inspection. I saved it from the crusher apperantly but i did pay money for it. He will get the rest of the car for free. I have enough parts for him after i'm done to make a kick ass chopped sled. I'm even going to try to get the motor running.

24. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

So....thats a no? Haha

25. Sorry, they are keepers.

26. No, not the Merc club. It's still falls under Ford Brand. But some may argue that point.

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Congrats on the "new" Meteor ... cool stuff . Damn , that front tire is flat & a half , lol :D !!

28. Thanks Buddy. I hope to get it home in the next few days. I just didn't feel like changing wheels today. Was 95+ today and i can't function in that kind of heat.

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I forgot to mention - I kinda like the mirrors . I like the small stuff a little different .

30. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

!BqylFKgBmk~$(KGrHqIOKjQEu,PM6rSyBLw5P,cnvQ~~_3.jpg

!Bqym7N!!2k~$(KGrHqQOKi!Eu2nMceiWBLw5W6TMTw~~_3.jpg

!Bqym)YwB2k~$(KGrHqEOKjsEuZcfpNpUBLw5WO5N3g~~_3.jpg Ted we need to be friends! I have a grille and mint hood ornement. I was trying to sell things to buy to one that was here in LA but the person sold it before I came up with the money. For the people that have never seen one. Here is what the hood onement looks like.