Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for info on EJ Potter's Nightmare '57 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuck Most, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

I know what you're thinking... you live in Ithaca, that's where EJ was from, why not ask one of the old timers? Well, I have, but there's a bit of disagreement among the old timers regarding the information I'm after.
    [​IMG]
    What I need to know is- what color was this Allison-powered '57 Savoy? It's clearly a two-tone with a darker colored roof, but that's about all I can determine. All of the photos anyone has of this car are black and white, and while there are a few guys in the neighborhood who remember it, none of them are totally sure what colors it was. And a few of them only remembered EJ having a '57 Plymouth, but they aren't at all sure if it was this car, or the car that he eventually built into Nightmare. Several online searches have netted nothing but b&w photos as well.

So... did anyone ever see this car in person, and could you tell me what colors it was painted?

Reason I ask is because I've got a line on a pretty cheap '57 Savoy parts car, and I'd really like (one of these days) to build a duplicate of this car, or at least a lookalike. Barring that, I could always duplicate it as a 1:25 model. Either way, knowing what colors it was would REALLY help!:D

I'd appreciate any light you could shine on the matter.

2. MMMMM Allison-powered!!

3. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Did you ever see his book or video?

I hope this isn't redundant redundancy for you, but you might already know EJ had a book and a VHS tape that supposedly showed many of his vehicles. Maybe this is in there? I've only seen mention of this, never seen in person. Here's some internet drivel about it but not sure if they're stll legit:

You can order the second edition of E.J. Potter, Michigan Madman, by calling 1-877-A-MAD-MAN (1-877-262-3626)
    EJ also has a VHS tape available that shows many of his machines. EJ said you probably need to read the book to make much sense of the tape. The book is $24.00 plus $4.00 shipping. The tape is the same price.

You can also order the book and tape by sending a check made out to E.J. Potter to the address below:
    E.J.Potter
    PO Box 215
    Ithaca, Michigan 48847

and another one:

E.J. Potter, P.O. BOX 968, Vero Beach , FL32961 U.S.A. Phone 1-877-A-MAD-MAN

On the real life side, I remember seeing him run his Corvette-powered motorcyle at Atco Dragway back in the '60's.

4. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

Was this the guy who allegedly killed himself at the strip in Stanton by burying the car into the wall at the end of the strip? My Dad and his buddies were there around that period and might remember the car. That's a fun place to hang out but the ride home sucks with all the deer after dark.

EDIT- Disregard, I just Googled it, it says he died at age 71 in Ithaca in the past year or so. Must have been some other old story I heard years ago about somebody comitting suicide on the strip. Probably some Pabst or Black Label fueled urban legend.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

5. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

I've got the second edition of his book- fun fact- the first and second editions are completely different books- EJ did not eff around trying to recycle the same book twice! :D Both editions are immensely entertaining- if you ever see them available, BUY THEM. They both feature EJ's legendary dry wit- it's hillarious to read along as he casually downplays some of his famous misadventures.

I don't own the videos, but I've seen them- again, if you see them available, highly reccomended.

Yep- Google is your friend. :p Unless you wanna find a color picture of Nightmare I, that is!

Funny, I used to spend quite a bit of time out by Stanton, and never heard that particular story.

6. KIRK

KIRK

I remember being at Stanton in the 60's when a guy running a FED ran off the end of the track and was killed. I seem to remember they called him Duke and he only had one arm. I was with my dad and we were leaving and stopped on the road outside the strip and watched his leave the starting line but could not see much of the run because of the smoke from his tires. Later that night at home we heard he was killed.

7. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

I have EJs book here somewhere......He called a couple of years after I bought the book asking if I wanted a VHS tape......I declined, wish I hadnt......

edit...I didnt know he had died....RIP...quite the showman

8. bluthndr

bluthndr

A friend used to tractor pull with him and loaned me the book. Good read for sure.

Last I knew the Gilmore car museum in Hickory Corners, MI was selling the book and I think a DVD in their gift shop. I remember seeing it there about a year ago. You may want to call there.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. anteek

anteek

I actually steered that car on the trailer in deland fl in '65-'66. He was on tour and staying at the shop of Sev,the local pinstripe and sign man. The car was all one light color,maybe grey. I was a kid and awstruck.

10. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

Thanks! So far, you're the second to say that the car was a light grey (one of the old-timers in town being the first)- might be onto something here. :D

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

“The acceleration would be real noticeable and the vibrations, bumps and engine noises would stop registering,”

Priceless...