Register now to get rid of these ads!

what mig to buy??? in australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A tub, Aug 25, 2012.

1. i have the thermal arc 181i its 220v, and i love it ! mig, tig, and stick on everything but aluminum

2. A tub

A tub

yes this will be my 2nd mig now, we all want a tig, gasweld do a lincoln mig180c $859 free delivery or pick up, the miller is bout $1000 mark which is good, im shopping around before i do this

3. A tub

A tub

okay just found out for all you wia guys that miller actually own that company outright and those welders arent made here, but im guessing thats why theyve been so good to you, as far as migs go miller you cant get here, unless u want 3 phase, at this point thanks to my buddy zef6 and talking with gasweld ill be going the lincoln, awesome machine 3 years warranty, what more could i want, wia was a close choice but everything about these lincs makes me think this is the way to go, cheers for all ur input

does anyone have the 180c??? tell me how much u like it????

4. bathcollector

bathcollector

Have you looked at the BOC range ? pretty good stuff. We sold a local engineering outfit 2 BOC magmate 200,s around 2 years ago, get used everyday, never had a problem with them. They have just dropped in price over here in N.Z. I bought one a month ago, very nice machines for single roller.

5. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Lincoln 180 works a treat, plenty of grunt and small enough to be portable.

6. SIX_94Y

SIX_94Y
    from Australia

The Boc range seems to be good have two at work 3ph and 240v both have been good for the 4 years I been there so far. The older ones were made at the kemppi factory but recently they changed to somewhere in italy the rep told me.... As for home I have been treating a UNIMIG 240 like crap for the best part of 7 years with no troubles apart from a couple non critical things coming loose. I convinced another 2 freind to buy the same and both have been having no troubles for nearly the same time. Recently have seen them new for $990 pretty good for something that can penetrate some really thick stuff if needed. Sorry for the rant, just my experiences..

7. lowdown

lowdown

Ive had the Cig 175i for about a month now and cant really fault it, i was also looking at the lincoln 180c but at the time of buying the cig just seemed like the better deal. havent used the tig function yet but is a great performing mig.

8. Avgas

Avgas

I have a couple of WIA units, both tig and mig, they are made in China now but the QA is pretty good $k will get you a good unit that will do what you need, about 180 amps with a generous duty cycle, good consumables and will go gasless ok, happy welding, Wayne

9. Make sure you get a trolley with it. buggers are heavy and the mig trolleys make life a lot easier.

10. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I recently bought one of these from Eastwood- love it, works super! and a great price. you also get a spool gun for the same money.

11. ratman

ratman

Had a Lincoln 170 for 4 years and thrashed it. The thing never skipped a beat. Sold it for not much less than what I paid new and upgraded to the new Lincoln 180. Cant praise it enough. Very good machine no issues at all.

12. A tub

A tub

cheers all the 180 linc it is , decision made,, i did look at cig 175 with tig mig stick looks good, ill get 3 years warranty with lincoln, its under a grand here and can get a spool gun if want for ally,

zef i already have a trolley i whipped up 3-4years ago it looks like crap but wheels my bottle and mig around so who cares what it looks like , it works but cheers

13. I have got a CIG Transmig 130 twin. It works fine for sheet with using gas but if you use it without gas for sheet it is way hotter. I have welded 25mm onto 3mm with using it as a gassless. Did a super job.

I now use a WIA Tig welder for everything and it is an Australian product. The mig welder is only now collecting dust. Here is a pic of them.

Mtw fdu.

Attached Files:

14. speaks

speaks
    1. 4 door kustoms

Good choice on the Lincoln, I have a Lincoln SP170T (older version of the 180) that is about 10 years old, Never had any problems with it, and it always produces really nice looking beads. I recommend using boc Argoshield 54 gas to get the neatest welds with it.

15. Only just saw this

Before I bought my MIG I shopped around and got all sorts of conflicting reports

So I went to the local welder repair guy and asked him what he thought

He rattled off a long list of common faults with almost every brand welder

So I asked him what brands he saw the LEAST of....... and he rattled off two or three brands as being "not to bad"

Then I asked him about Lincoln...

He said "never had one come in for repair, so I can't comment"

So I asked if that was because someone else fixed them, and he said "nope, I'm the only authorised Lincoln repairer in town ........ but I've never seen one in for repair"

So I bought a SP170T .......bloody brilliant. Hits way above it's weight

I think I am hooked on Lincoln

I now have a MIG, TIG and Plasma, all lincoln

Good choice mate, you won't regret it

16. bathcollector

bathcollector

I use .6 wire on argoshield in my cigweld 130 twin, welds good up to 8mm like that. Have had this welder for probably 15 years with no problems.

17. Jon1953B4

Jon1953B4
    from MD

Just got a smokin deal on a millermatic 140 off Craigslist. I'm novice but I really like it. It has an autoset speed feature which is good to get started. I like that its 120 V, to me its more versatile of where I can use it.

Jon

18. bathcollector

I am pretty sure I have got .8mm wire and the same as you it works fine with argoshield as well. Now that I don't use it the bottle is a waste of space and money with rental.

Mtw fdu.

19. A tub

A tub

yep .8 is what i use and argoshield light e size boc gas, my current migs a 150 but has been a waiste of money since day 1, hence why im asking so many questions, but im dead set on lincoln, i dont think ill regret this one bit,

20. striper

striper

I've been watching this thread with interest, mainly on behalf of a mate who is in the market. He was looking at Cigweld until I showed him this thread last night. Now he's thinking Lincoln.

I have a WIA 150 that's 15+ years old and is a fantastic unit. If that Lincoln is under a grand for a 170 amp it sounds like a good deal. Who deals with Lincoln in Australia? It's not a brand you see in the shops often.

Pete

21. A tub

A tub

hey pete, they sell em at gasweld mate, pretty sure theyre all over oz, check em on google, yep 180c 3 years warranty pretty good deal i think, cant wait to get a real welder, the cig 175 is over a grand atm, and yeah u get lift tig with it , but when my time comes for that im gonna get a stand alone, not combo, btw always liked ur car , topp shelf job mate, looks better everytime i see pics of it:D,

22. bathcollector

bathcollector

Yeah, i used to run .8 but put .6 in for panelwork and was too lazy to swap back for some heavier stuff. Liked the way .6 ran hotter and have stuck with it. Never liked the fluxcore wire, too fumey for me. The 130 has been a good little machine. The rental is a bitch i'll agree. Okay if you can get some money back through jobs but home use as i do it's costly over a year.

23. Lamb

Lamb

Hey A tub, have you looked into the uni mig range? We have a couple at my work and they're pretty happy with it.
    I think I'm going to get the 200A one for my workshop (looking at buying a welder at the moment like you too) - it's an inverter with tig and stick functions and has an inbuilt trolley. Retail is around $1300 but you could no doubt get a better deal.

24. 28rp

28rp

Treated myself to a Lincoln 180 about three years ago after struggling with a little italian 115 amp Media Mig for many years-best addition to the workshop I have made!!!

25. Hi A-Tub,

I bought a Lincoln 180C and love it... but in retrospect on a dollar for dollar value and home use, I would now buy a Uni-Mig 190. Why?

The unit comes standard with plug in for a spool gun (Lincoln costs +$400 for this and a couple of days or more, to get it back from the dealer), a trolley (shit wheels though & weak axle support) and a remote feeder. Uni-Mig is also standard fitted with a Euro Torch. It runs gas & gasless wire and the welds on aluminium are just beautiful.

I have used one in my boily shop for 18 months, every day without fault and this machine goes hard and my team love it.

Like the Lincoln, you need to put in a 15 amp x 240 volt supply.

I manage a maintenance repair workshop for a mining operation and have Uni-Mig 500's and CIG 500's and at home, I have the Lincoln and a Uni-Tig 200, which I bought following our results with the Uni-Migs. Had I not have had the Lincoln first, I would definitely gone Uni-Mig 190

26. 1 thing I did not mention about mine is that I had trouble with the gun. I had to replace the inner brass section twice. The plastic trigger also was not a very good idea. I replaced it with a new different setup and now it has lasted 10 years. That is the reason why I can weld 25mm thick plate with flux cored wire. When I first had it done I actually burnt a hole in 10mm plate. If you look at my previous thread with the pic of the welder, you may be able to see the new setup.

Mtw fdu.

27. Norwegian 49 Mercury

Norwegian 49 Mercury
    from Norway