Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lynwood California begins to take notice of former Barris Kustom shop.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Masterson Kustoms, Aug 27, 2012.

1. abc123

abc123

2. brad2v

brad2v

Email sent to you Brad. From another Brad. We're good folks, us Brads eh?

3. I will send a letter tomorrow.

4. I just saw this. Hope everything goes well with this whole deal. I will be contacting our local Barris colloctor/ historian Kurt McKormick and let him know what is going on. He dosen't get on the HAMB often.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The City is only interested in this because it has a potential to generate tourist dollars, not because they actually care about the history of Customs. Therefore any evidence that you can provide to suggest you might come from out of state to visit a Barris shrine would be more than welcome by the city, I'm sure.

6. just be wary for what you wish.....yes it should bge preserved as part of your (and mine) Kustom heritage...but if the authorities start with preservation demands and it becomes unworkable to run a business from there it's gona end up empty..and will very quicky become destroyed (whether by design of the owner or just because ass hole kids wreck the place). This is a big problem in the UK and listed buildings, over zealous officials demanding unrealistic objectives from building owners, sympathetic restoration using modern materials and even creating a worth while use is frowned upon. yes like you grants are available but they are miniscule in comparison to the cost of even materials and getting them brings even more officaldom and scruteny. Many owners of seriously historic building just leave them to fall down or become so badly vandelised that demolition is the only answer...even at that point some authorities are seriously objectionable causing what is left to be destroyed rather than allow it to be preserved in a way they dont appove of!

read anything you get sent before you sign it...and if it's written in legal gobbledegook get it checked first...you may think your doing the right thing only to find your being fucked over by people who have no real interest in the actual history but can only see the $ sign

7. Brad,

I just got off of the phone with Kurt McKormick. He said that he was the one who had contacted the city of Lynnwood two years ago about getting this building on the registry. He says you should already have a copy of that contact and you can/should include that in your letters to the city. He was very happy to see this moving forward and would like to be kept in the loop about future progress. He also said he would contribute/help as much as he can to make this a reality. Good luck with this!

John@ CCC

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  8. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

Like I said before... We don't NEED it to be on any registry. The state wants it to be functional. I know they won't fuck me over cause the person behind the idea in the department of historical preservation is also one of my step parents.i am fairly sure they won't screw me in some unread paper work cause I know where they live.

9. brad2v

brad2v

Ha ha, that's some good stuff. Hope all is going well for you now.

10. CHOP 57

CHOP 57

* Brad,

If you lookup "Barris shop photos from the late 50's" on H.A.M.B. you will see photos I took when I visited the shop. This thread has been viewed over 17,000 times.

11. Masterson Kustoms

Masterson Kustoms

12. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Dude, I'm happy for you, Homie!

Business is gonna get better, or too busy, watch.

I gotta stop by one of this days & checkout your shop & probably the only whiteboy in Lynwood.

I took notice of your shop when I read about a chop you did for R&C on a Chevy a few years back. Wasn't it Compton before?

13. What happens to the business thats in it now? Kicked to the street? They help relocate them? I'm all for restoring things to the past, but sure hate to see anyone loose their business unwillingly.

14. 296ardun

296ardun

All these guys who are posting warnings are right on, but nothing will happen if we don't file letters of support...so mine is on the way, and thanks for the efforts, grew up not that far from the Barris shop, really hope this works...Mazooma knows what he is talking about, but with his advice, hopefully this can be done without problems...

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Is it too late for letters? I'd like to write one if there's still time.

16. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

Brad email sent.
    Keep it going fellas.

17. FOR THE CHILDREN!
    The cars and work that came from him and that shop that graced the pages of magazines made the Golden Era of Kustoms and Mid-Twentieth Century Americana what it's remembered for today!
    Fight the fight brother, I wanna walk through the bay's one day soon.
    Email sent

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Brad,
    Can't wait till The City of Lynwood and the Kustom Kulture community get together and do the High School Kustom Kar-nival! This will give enthusiasts who were'nt able to attend back in say 58, a chance to see what a true 50's era car show was all about "Live and in Living Color"!

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

He let me take a quick tour of his shop in January 2011 just as the GNRS was firing up. Really nice guy and took a lot of time to answer a bunch of my dumb questions.

I just took a few very quick pics, and like a dummy I didn't get any of Brad himself. I was too busy checking out all his cool stuff! This was one of the highlights of my trip FOR SURE. It felt like sacred ground. I hope it gets preserved!!

Thanks again Brad!

This is the muffler shop next door.

[​IMG]

And some street views. Some amazing cars have cruised here!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the old shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

For reference, this is the 'Animal Hospital' sign next door in the '50s.

[​IMG]

And this is now the muffler shop.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. autobilly

autobilly

I caught this one really late, but best of luck in this very worthwhile venture.

22. Brad, any updates on this situation?

23. 296ardun

296ardun

Yes, any updates? Google Earthed it yesterday, still looks the same...hope this project goes forward

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd be interested to hear an update on this as well.

25. Wonder what Brad Mastersons up to..used to see some stuff from him on here or in magazines

26. brad2v

brad2v

I haven't seen him on here in ages. I have visited his shop, a couple years back. No doubt in my mind it qualifies as a historical site.

27. He posts stuff up on instagram on a semi regular basis.