Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radio delete plate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Aug 28, 2012.

1. solo_909

solo_909

So I did some searching and couldnt find a delete plate for my 63 Fairlane. What I would like to do is swap out the radio for some gauges. Does this plate need to be made or is there something out there that I couldn't seem to find? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what my radio looks like.
    [​IMG]

I'm not looking to keep the radio because I have the stock air conditioning unit under the dash and I need to find room for the gauges elsewhere.

Thanks,
    George

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. What's it look like with the radio out? You will likely have to do some cutting to put anything but the smallest aftermarket gauges in there, but it would be fairly easy to adapt some kind of factory square gauges I bet, maybe find something like 67-72 Ford pickup that have a similar style of numbers on them.

3. just cover it with duck tape!!

4. solo_909

solo_909

I'm not sure what it looks like without it. I wanted to see if there was something out there I could use before I took it out. I have to remove the under dash air unit to get to it so I'm holding off removing it for now.

5. I think I have one but it's in really bad shape ( Fords vacuum metallizing was really poor back then) The chrome is gone and its yellow plastic now. I'll see if I can find it and post a pic.

6. Rob68

Rob68

Working or not, that radio looks great there. I have a 58 F100 that the p/o cut up for an old am radio. I took it out and found this from a Pontiac Silver Streak. Try looking at other makes radio deletes, you might find something that works. Good luck

Attached Files:

7. solo_909

solo_909

If you could do, that would be amazing! I'm looking to put some gauges in it anyways so the piece would eventually get painted. I appreciate it!

8. solo_909

solo_909

I agree I love the radio but I have nowhere to put the triple gauges unless they are on the passenger side under the glove box. Aesthetically it wouldn't look good so the next best spot is swapping out the radio. That piece you have is pretty cool!!

9. Had a quick look, looks like I'll need to do a little tidying up before I can find it. It mimics the sculpturing of the radio bezel complete with the ridge through the middle so I'm not sure it would be the best thing for gauges. I think you may have given me the incentive I need to clean my garage!
    If I recall when I removed it you'll find the dash will need cutting to put the gauges in.

10. solo_909

solo_909

Glad to hear I could help motivate some fall cleaning haha! It sounds perfect! Let me know if you find it, I really appreciate it.

11. Muttley

Muttley

Try this guy, he reproduces tons of radio and heater delete plates. I've got a couple of his parts and they are nice peices.

12. Square One

Square One

Owning a similar car to yours, when you remove the radio. (pull knobs off & remove nuts behind) there will be a hole. It has two tabs that stick up for mounting the radio through. Depending if it's been out of not before it may still have the rear support strap attached.

Here is a link to one for sale with a picture of an original radio delete plate.

Factory Delete Plate

13. 65COMET

65COMET

How about getting the mounting cups for the gauges and put them on top of the dash like some cars had as factory in the 60s? JMO,ROY.

14. solo_909

solo_909

That's perfect!!! Thanks so much!!

Thank you, I searched for a couple hours and couldn't find crap for my car. I appreciate it!

15. solo_909

solo_909

Yeah I thought about that and also using a side pillar mount. I want to see if this can work before I go that route. I personally think it will look a little cleaner inside the radio delete. Thanks!

16. squirrel

squirrel

you'll probably have to hack up the dash to fit gauges in the radio hole.

I made a panel to fill the radio hole in my 55, just used some 1/16" aluminum. It's not rocket science. If you're trying to make the car look like an old hot rod, I think this way is a bit more period correct....guys used to use what they could find, they didn't bother with trying to keep stuff original.

17. solo_909

solo_909

That sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about making something too but just wanted to exhaust all other options first. I appreciate it

18. Found it!

Ugly as all get out but here it is. Note the ridge that matches the dash contour. It is a 62 Fairlane part#

Attached Files:

19. solo_909

solo_909

Awesome! I appreciate you looking for it. Would you like to get rid of it?

20. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I've got a plastic one also you can have , dark grey ....pretty clean .
    Want to sell the radio ?pm me.
    b.b.

21. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just so you know what it looked like in its glory, Street Rodder had a pic of one a while back, about the only one I've ever seen. If you are going to mount gauges it might be easier to use an aluminum plate cut to size.

Attached Files:

22. That dash is sweet. Love the wheel; really looks proper.