Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got Laughed at Today at the parts counter!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Jul 17, 2012.

1. slammed

slammed

Rat Rods Rule, just ask Rodney.

2. Well, I suppose we must have a lock on smart parts guys as well. As far as weed, I just cleared mine to satisfy fire requirements. Haven't touched the other stuff in 35 years, or so. Surfers are at the beach......ironic, huh? Actors are in Hollywood and the girls at Hot Dog on a stick are fun to watch when they're making lemonade. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, corn dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

3. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-pc-standard-tappet-wrench-set-with/p-00947415000P

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

5. alchemy

alchemy

This is classic. A guy who likes to prank the parts store guys, but doesn't even know what he's really looking for himself. Please tell us O' Wise One, what is the "standard size" of a tappet wrench?

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it means not metric

7. fiddychevy

fiddychevy
    from pa

I knew I was in trouble when I told the guy at Advance that I needed points for a 1950 Chevy 6 cylinder, and he said "Do you need all 6"?

8. fiddychevy

fiddychevy
    from pa

I knew I was in trouble when I told the guy at Advance I needed points for a 1950 chevy 6 cylinder, & he asked "Do you need all 6"

9. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

I meant is it LONG or just thinner. I can grind down a wrench thinner but I can't stretch it. I figured that anyone posting on the H.A.M.B. KNOWS FOR A FACT that wrenches come in more than one size and therefore would have KNOWN that I MEANT to say Standard LENGTH and not mean that all of the wrenches are the same damn size....I was wrong. For the record, I will continue to call the parts store and be a SMART-A$$, I will leave DUMB-A$$, to you.;)

10. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Well now I feel like a dumb-ass! It has been so long since I worked on any foreign junk that I totally spaced it on the "standard" thing. There is SOO much dust on the Metric drawer of my box! When is the rest of the planet gona cut it out with that Metric crap!?:D

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

too late almost everything is metric,now if you don't want your metric stuff I'll be glad to adopt it, I use both

12. uncle buck

uncle buck

and I thought you had all of the answers.:rolleyes:

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just wondering, did the OP get his Econoline running yet?

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I forgot about the girl at Advance, I need a fan clutch for a 90 Lincoln Towncar with a 302, after the usual stupid questions,does it have air, how many cylinders,name of the second born child of the assembly line worker who installed the engine, etc, she is looking and looking in her computer, then she says, sir, I have the pressure plate,clutch disc and throwout bearing for that, but I don't see any kind of fan in there. :rolleyes: whats even funnier, is as far as I know this car never came with a manual transmission, correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen one

15. 62rebel

62rebel

i'm guessing here, but i'm willing to bet that a couple of guys just don't fucking get it... just sayin'. the John Deere Blitz Black comes in spray cans, quarts, and gallons. the plastic skulls, i couldn't tell you.

16. Partsman2012

Partsman2012

It's driven by economics. As robots and other high tech equipment takes the place of people, so it's the same at the parts counter. The computer takes the place of the experienced counterman. The Parts companies can then hire almost anyone to fill that spot.
    Like most people on this thread, I look up the part numbers before going to the auto parts store. Plus, I get the advantage of not wasting the $3.50/gal gas just to find out they don't have it. If I can wait on the part, I will buy it from Rock Auto. And that is an economic side effect of the auto parts stores relying on the computers. The online retailers will eat their lunch.

17. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I have learned my lesson in my area...
    Pep boys - stuff I can pull off the shelf, oil change, fluids, cleaning supplies and oil recycle
    AZ- rent a tool
    Strauss - "help" section with stuff you can use on any old rod
    Napa- all my parts and questions...

18. Shawns49

Shawns49
    BANNED

Well HELL , I work at Autozone and yes they are a piece of crap store(Corporate Greed) but I am one of the few that know how too find parts...........:D

19. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

Its allways been the same.. "you get what you pay for" no matter which chain you shop at if the wages suck so does the help...

20. bhead1968

bhead1968
    from so-fla

advanced auto..here in florida... I've been very surprised they have some of the more common parts on my '55 buick.

21. had a customer come in last night with one lug nut from his car , the threads were kinda chewed up and he wanted to know if we could fix it. i suggested him buying a new lug nut and be done with it. he said he hadn't thought of that

found out after he left he was a mechanic at the local Ford dealer

22. ironpile

ironpile

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";7974809]Im 20 but when I go to autojoke and any of the parts guys (old and young) dont understand I explain and try to teach them somethin. But you do get the dumb ass people at the counters that just wait until its quitting time and dont care to learn anything. I saw this guy askin what trans fluid goes in a th400 trans and he was yellin at the top of his lungs at this young girl cause she couldent find it on the computer. I grabbed a bottle of Ford type F fluid and handed it to him. He bought 6 quarts of Ford type F fluid and a trans filter!! One thing I cant tolerate is people actin like a dumbfuck in public. I wonder how well that th400 trans is workin with that type F fluid LMAO[/QUOTE]Just a note,th400`s with shift kits actually recommend Ford fluid,surprised me but it worked great.:D

23. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

parts counter men are always far superior in knowledge to mere certified mechanics ..The counter man told me so

24. yeah , some mechanics are good....some not so much

worked Friday night , got a call from one of the repair shops we sell to. needs an ignition module, sure i will run it right over. 1/2 hour later he calls again , needs the distributor pickup. i will run it right over. 1/2 hour later calls again ,needs an ignition coil. i will run it right over. i get there and he says to bring him a new fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. i go get them and return , when i do he says he wants to return the coil , pickup and module....i tell him to talk to the manager on Monday

after working the counter for almost 4 years i've come to the conclusion that there are some very good mechanics......and there are some that should never even touch a car. these are guys that are getting paid to work on others cars

25. last week a guy came in asking for ATF , i ask him what kind....he says any will do and he grabs some ATF+4 . i ring it up and he leaves

i few minutes later he comes back in all pissed off saying that crap you sold me doesn't work. he put it in the power steering pump of his Volvo and it still doesn't work. i tell him that is the wrong stuff and let's go outside and take a look

after a quick look i tell him that his power steering would probably work better if you had a belt on the pump.

26. I work at Baxter auto parts here in the pacific n.w. I've seen people put tranny fluid in master cyl.s ,oil in radiators,etc. There really are people out there who have no business being close to a car. Let alone driving or working on one. And no matter THEY did the wrong thing with the part... its all our fault.

27. So did you sell him a fuel pump on Monday?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. i got laughed at the other day when i asked for a timing light. went to carquest because its the closest to my house. said "hey where are your timing lights?" and got "what?! hahaha what kinda car do you need that for!? timing light?! wow i haven't even seen one in YEARS! good luck finding one of those!"

literally every other auto store in the area has them....a variety of them...

needless to say i won't be going back to carquest anytime soon.

29. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

If it is not in their computer, it is not available.....

30. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

I refuse to buy at vatozone....I ordered an oil filter,they said it would take 2 days to come in and would call me...soo I waited,waited,waited...called them.they then told me that my part wasn't coming in for another week. I called o'reilly and they had my filter that next morning AND called me to tell me it was in!..vatozone never called me and I went in finally about two weeks later...open it up...wrong filter!!...