Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 buick driveshaft shims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loranzo46, Aug 27, 2012.

1. loranzo46

loranzo46
    from pa

Helping a friend out on his 50 Buick working on the drive shaft to replace the seals. First time were doing this and doing it by the seat of our pants and tips here and there from people. He got the the parts we need. What were not sure of is the shims are color coded. What do the colors stand for? It's the one thing were stumped on and don't want to put this together and have to do it all over again. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. Buford

Buford

I presume you're working on the "torque ball" that connects the trans with the torque tube. On my '38 Buick there were shims to adjust the tightness of the rear cup. I'm guessing the shims color code corresponds to the thickness...just a guess. Good luck! Frank

3. loranzo46

loranzo46
    from pa

Yup that's exactly what were working on. Is There a measurement or spec that you know of Thanks for responding

4. F&J

F&J

I am not sure if I have a manual that has a 50. I know I have some older, some newer, but I just might.

I will TRY to remember in the AM when I go to the shop....if you don't get an answer by then

5. loranzo46

loranzo46
    from pa

6. loranzo46

loranzo46
    from pa

7. F&J

F&J

Did you think I forgot? Well yes, I did, and I rememered once, then forgot again :)

Here is what I can find:

Attached Files:

8. loranzo46

loranzo46
    from pa

Hahaha no i figured you were looking still just seeing if anyone else maybe knew too. Thanks for the pics with out of the manual That is a huge help. Very much appreciated.

9. loranzo46

loranzo46
    from pa

Thanks for the help. We got it fixed up on sat thanks to the pics of the books you posted. Huge help! Much appreciated!