Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Legit low milage 40 Merc barn find!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blmoore, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Cool car, I hope you get it.

2. metalman

metalman

$1500? $2500 even, really. What world are you guys living in, at $5000 I'd feel I stole it. It's a complete 40 Merc coupe! How often do they show up in that condition?
    If that was mine and someone offered 15 to 25 I'd be offended. Too bad he doesn't throw a starting number out, I hate it when sellers won't and I generally press them to. He's got to have a number in his mind and maybe it is lower then it worth but at least you won't take a chance at offending him to find out!

3. cruzr

cruzr

you cant pay too much for a good car...........and you cant buy a bad one cheap enough....!!

4. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

A friend once told me, You can't pay too much for a car, but you can buy it tooo early." Meaning, one day it'd be worth that and more, you just may have to wait longer....

5. cruzr

cruzr

If you snooze........you lose

6. hotdamn

hotdamn

I always tell people I can't price your stuff and buy it too!

7. Old Dude

Old Dude

That is about right on pricing. Very rare Car to find in this time & day. I used to be able to stiff them out some how. It is getting harder, & harder each year. Very Good Find.

8. Looks like $4 to $5 thousand right now with all the dust and dirt, but 1 or 2 hours of cleanup and I bet the price would go up maybe double. If the motor is not frozen solid that alone is at least $1K + in these parts.
    Keep us posted and good luck, that will make one great kustom!

9. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

The value of this car ? Pretend to part it out - each piece is worth how much ? Now do the math.

10. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Well said!

I'd give you $5,000 just to tell me where abouts in Iowa the car is.:)

11. That car might be worth 15-25 when it's done but not now. 3000-4000 is a fair price but start by offering 1500.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  12. I allways tell them I don't want to buy and sell both so give me your bottom $$ price and I will tell you if I can swing it.

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I have always been able to get a price from the owner by saying... " I cant be BOTH the buyer AND the seller... Gimme a price!"

14. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

My brother-in-laws do that all the time. They've traded labor for campers, boats, trucks, and other stuff. usually they actually turn out better than if they would have taken the cash!!

He doesn't want to tell you the price, because he's afraid of low balling YOU! If he's thinking $1500 tops and you're thinking $2500 on the low end, he's just screwed himself! But on the other hand, you just paid $1000 more than you could have because you offered too much! It's a tough dance either way.......

15. Can we get a video of the negotiation?

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

I think this is really true in negotiations such as these. This is an easy hurdle to overcome. You both just have to get talking.

17. ...nice find, what about the Chevy truck beside it?

18. Get off the pot and buy it or it'll be gone!

19. It ain't rocket surgery. Make him a fair offer and let us know how it goes. That's a really nice find.

20. Jon1953B4

Jon1953B4
    from MD

Awesome find, let us know what the outcome is.

21. I mentioned mice in headliner in an earlier post ,but actually they can even ruin a frame in a car, over a period of setting in a barn like that.seriously worth investigating before investing much money in any old cars from midwest.....

22. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Some of you guys must have way to much money to spend. It never hurts to make a lower offer. If it's too low, you can start negotiating. Starting out with a top price? WTF???
    Tom

23. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'd begin at $4 k and see where he goes. Someone has to start it off..........

I hope you get it....

4TTRUK

24. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yup, trading labor for wanted stuff is way better than getting a check. Remember, Uncle Sam doesn't take a cut if you trade labor for merchandise. ;) When you pay for something, it's after-tax money. So it's already de-valued.

25. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

Nice find!

Start the negotiations by talking to the fellow about himself and his farm, like he was one of your buddies. Soften him up a bit. After a while he will probably volunteer an asking price for the car.

Good Luck

26. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Looks like a good one. I would offer him $4000 and see what he say's. I would go up to 9K if you really want it. They are rare and it's hard to find a solid complete one.

27. vert1940

vert1940

i agree with sledge...the parts on that car are worth a fortune to some people...check the fog lights and see if they say ford or some form of ford...if so...very high dolar

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Absolutely. How dumb would you be to jump in with a $ 5000 offer and the guy is thinking $ 1500 ?? :rolleyes: Yeah, we all say we hate to take advantage of someone, but in reality most of us would be dancing the good dance if we get a great deal on a car or some part at a swap meet.

Let's get real here, while it is a 40 Merc it also has been sitting on dirt forever, unprotected. If that motor isn't locked up it will be a miracle, and anyone who takes this car on is going to spend very big money to get it in A1 shape. This will not be a cheap restore. The buyer is taking a huge gamble, not even seeing the car in the daylight.

I also really don't get this business about "insulting" someone with a low price. If I had something for sale and someone offered me less than I thought it was worth I wouldn't get all huffy about it, I would simply say "No, that isn't enough" and then go on from there in the negotiations.

Don

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I never let a horse drive my car. Can't trust em.:D

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, horses are terrible drivers. Now Monkeys, that is a different story. :D

Don

[​IMG]