Register now to get rid of these ads!

DIY Spray On Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerrys

Gerrys

Paint won't last forever neither will chrome. It can last longer with proper care. but still require a redo on a non show car after time.

I for one would rather see a paint that looks like chrome that the 80's style painted bumpers.

With all the regulations most if not all chrome places will be out of business. how long before you have to send your parts to china for replating?

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

X2 The chrome you get now from most replaters is not what it was a few years ago, some stuff is left out. The resulting quality reduction is the shop's action to stay in business due to ever increasing regulations driving up costs of the omitted processes.
    Many of the "bumper rebuilder" shops are gone now already. Compliance is just a deal killer for a small shop. One I passed driving to work for years is gone.
    Dave

3. rodzz2010

rodzz2010
    1. A-D Truckers

Try chrome powder coating no embrittlement and it looks great and you can afford it.

4. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

might as well go back to silver faux chrome spray bomb rod---marvins stuff is what i will be using--thx

5. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well this is my last work(did it last week) I had to redo the parts(orange parts) because seems I forgot to add the hardener to the clear(or it was shot, dont know but it never cured), these were my last pieces, my Tin for silver(sensitizer) is shot now, no good at all

before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have tested many chrome like coatings(chrome paint, stretch chrome, ceramic chrome paint, chrome like powder coating, Graphite powder, Spray on Silver) and out of all of them, Spray On Chrome(silver) is the closest thing a any of those coatings will get to chrome(in shine and appearance) and its even cheaper($ per SqF) than all of them, heck I dont know of any other metalizing process(coating/Vacuum metallizing, electroplating) that comes close to its $ per Sqf price

a well done chrome paint(using the best paints like Alsa´s Mirra chrome paint and Innate Chrome) can give you a good look, something very simmilar to a highly polished aluminum, but you are right they dont come even close to a well done spray on chrome piece, here a video

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zX6ZDp7oODY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

a well done Spray on Chrome can look much better than Chinese chrome and its alot more cheaper to do at home

here Spray on Chrome vs Chinese Chrome(the bike its from china)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vh0iVlcQeRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

guys this is how I´m plan to do thing in the future, work full time at the call center to save money, then bring all the products back again and work part time or do the chroming on the weekends, because I dont do enough of it to make a living at this moment, but I did try very hard to do it..

things I will do differently from now on, Never do a piece in less than 2 days time, when doing a real chrome resto or when a client wants the look of real chrome I will be using Alsa´s Chrome tinted clear coat, its a straightforward thing to do(just pour the clear on the gun and shoot) no mixing and it will only add a few more bucks to the price(only $60 per Qt),
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y0YP1zcShew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

colored chrome will cost less, and I´ll be saving up for a Spray on Chrome spray gun for larger parts(cost about $290 from India), will be buying angel gilding new long life sensitizer so it last much longer this time..
    http://angelgilding.com/A2045.html

but dont worry I´ll be here to help you guys

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

I don't know if it's been said but, Iv'e been told by a reliable source that this "spray on" chrome is the only thing that Gene Winfield uses in his shop.

8. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I´m was not aware of this, thanks for the info..

guys here is the pricing list for Alsa Spray On Chrome coating kits, with the this DIY How to, you could make a kit using Alsa chemical and coating packages, or like me, I´ll be using angel gilding chemicals, sherwin W as basecoat and Alsa chrome coat clear for realistic chrome, but for colored chrome I´ll be using SW clears tinted with translucent paint

here is the list..

Small KIts:
    10 SQ Feet - $99
    36 SQ feet - $199
    64 SQ feet- $299
    150 SQ feet- $599

Large Kits:
    Package 1 (500 sq. ft.) - $2,000

Package 2 (1,500 sq. ft.) - $5,250

Package 3 (3,000 sq. ft.) - $9,750

Package 4 (6,000 sq. ft.) - $18,000.

Individual Prices:
    When you purchase Chemical "A", you get the appropriate amount of "B" included in the cost.

The pricing for the Silvering Chemical "A" is as follows:
    20oz is $900.00
    60oz is $1,994.00
    120oz is $3,898.00
    240oz is $7,500.00

The Activator is priced as follows:
    20oz is $45.00
    60oz is $110.00
    120OZ IS $204.00
    240OZ IS $400.OO

The standard top coat is priced as follows:
    Qt is $60.00
    Gallon is $200.00
    Hardener is as follows:
    ½ pint is $35.00
    Quart is $75.00

The Base coat is priced as follows:
    Qt is $60.00
    Gallon is $200.00
    Hardener is as follows:
    ½ pint is $35.00
    Qt is $75.00

Gary Pinkstaff
    Sales Associate
    [email protected]
    www.alsacorp.com
    1-800-999-4120

9. 66cayne

66cayne

What about the cost/effectiveness of using this process on interior parts, eg: dashes, pillar trim, seat trim etc. . I have a plastic dash surround that was vacuum metalized by the factory but now needs to be restored (it's dull silver now). Is anyone doing this in the States on a commercial basis? I can have my plastic dash insert vacuum metalized for about $300. I would be glad to send my piece to someone as a guinea pig.

10. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

thx for the rundown marvin

11. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Cost effectiveness? once you have mastered this process you can expect to do lots and lots of pieces with the 120ml silvering kit(check all of my work) I say about 30 pieces about 1 sq/f of plastic piece, doing the math(adding paint cost, but not man hours which is covered by the Do it Yourselfer) a 1 sqf pice cost about $8, but that´s for a very good piece, a worn out piece may need more on body work

No Problemo amigo... :cool:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  12. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

some updates on the chromed Yamaha DT 175 Oldschool bling

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yDvseIn6hbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and the happy owner a 60 years old boy...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/btxz3kghmyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. ramtough_63

ramtough_63
    from Clay, KY

I been out of the loop lately did some parts yesterday

still doing the emblems so only had to chrome the face of the side covers the rest will be painted

The headlight bracket was painted about a year ago and I just degreased it and chromed it

Attached Files:

14. ramtough_63

ramtough_63
    from Clay, KY

send me a pic at [email protected] if you havent had it done yet
    i am looking for some parts to do for my websire ad hittin the frog follies this weekend to get some street rod business

15. duste01

duste01

I am going to come back to this and see if I can recreate this myself....

16. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Spray on chrome is a great fit to restoring these interior trim pieces. Marvin is dead on when he said the body work is a big part of the pricing. In my shop now is a gauge cluster panel for a Duster. We also do a lot of pot metal. The fact that this can be done over the top of typical body work makes it a practical tool for restoring.

17. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Marvin- though you and I may not use the same chemicals- I want to commend you on the job you've done on this forum. You have explained how the process is done and have helped educate HAMB members on this process. Unfortunately, there has been a lot of backbiting between chemical manufacturers, and a lot of negative competition with shops using these systems. There is a lot more to be gained by being repectful of others in this business and sharing our experiences. You've shared your successes as well as failures. Respect to you my friend. Just wanted to say this publicly. I wish you the best in your continued endeavors. If I can help, PM me.

18. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

AWESOME... oh man thank you so much for this, I will P.M you when the times comes... :)

19. ramtough_63

ramtough_63
    from Clay, KY

The chrome on the emblem came out awesome unfortunately the rest of it did to so the photos dont show the chrome very well The entire emblem is painted on
    100_5229.jpg

100_5240.jpg

100_5252.jpg

100_5249.jpg

the largest pre 50"s Street rod event in the US is going on this weekend
    so I will be passing out business cards like crazy lol

20. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I wish you the best good friend..! I wish I was there too

21. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Nice work on the emblem.All the best for you at the show.I've found shows to be a great way to market.If you can set up a vendor booth just to display some samples it works great.I've also found if you show something wierd that you've done(wood rock whatever) it gets people's attention."If you can do that thing then can you chrome this or that..)It works.

22. ramtough_63

ramtough_63
    from Clay, KY

Thanks
    by a weird stroke of luck ran into an old friend who just opend a aftermarket store for harley parts and have a deal set up with him next week
    Next year I plan on getting a booth

23. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

nice, good luck friend :)

24. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Sweet- hope it works out for you.

25. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

hey bro, I´m checking your work on youtube, pure awesomeness....thats how pros like you doit...:cool:

26. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

link?:)

27. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

:cool:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=UU0LVPBU2hRyfiUb8yV2jzSQ&amp;hl=es_ES" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

28. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

i watched[stared into the screen]---very nice!

29. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Thanks for the kind words guys.It's been a lot of work and I learn something on each job. It's a good business to be in- but if anyone is looking into starting up you need to ask yourself how stubborn you are. If you are hard headed and refuse to let the learning curve beat you- you'll make it. If you are not ridiculously stubborn and give up when it's hard, don't bother- this business is not for you.
    You will have trouble with all the different touchy elements of the chemicals in the system. You will spend more money than you thought buying chemicals to practice with and then to refinish jobs you schedule once you start doing business.You will miss deadlines and piss people off because of unforeseen difficulties.People will run their mouths about you and you will get pissed.
    If you are heard headed enough to persevere and get through all that- you will have a pretty cool business and will be able to meet and work with all kinds of different people and projects. I like what I do (most days).

30. ramtough_63

ramtough_63
    from Clay, KY

Beautiful work I know people have no clue they think you buy this stuff spray it on and clear it.

I understand what you mean im that way with the custom painting I am trying to do my side cover emblems as we speak Thank goodness my customer is of a similar trade and understands. If I could do this for a living I would!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.