Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got Laughed at Today at the parts counter!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Okay okay, we all get it ---- the pimple faced kids who work at parts stores don`t know shit about old cars.
    I think everyone knows this already.

This subject has been beat completely to death.

God, can we please put this to rest??

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

the problem is we don't have a good store anymore,does that guy do mail order on small parts?

3. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Hell yeah! They will mail you one of the dear heads for the right price! LOL I HIGHLY doubt that they have a website...Sellers Auto, Selma, N,C. 27576 What do you need, I am going there in the morning anyway I will check for you, get the part info, and get you the phone number. It is only 4 blocks from my house so I never call them!

4. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

I like it here, so if I can help out a fellow H.A.M.B.er and my local REAL parts store I am all for it! I might start a thread just so we can help each other find parts.

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

Man, it's almost like these back-and-forth exchanges are scripted or something. I bet I could find essentially the same comments in 1,000 other threads. Where is the "time to get out the popcorn" comment? Did I miss it?

6. slammed

slammed

All ready one going.......

7. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

"Fan belt.'
    "Make and model?"
    "56 Chrysler Imperial. 354 hemi. A/C."
    "They didn't make chryslers in 56."
    blink....blink....blink "Are you retarded?"

8. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Cool! Do you know what the name of that thread is?

9. slammed

slammed

'What an Auto Parts Store Should Be'. I hope that this thread topic & American Graffiti threads will join the 'We already seen it' hall of shame.

10. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

I meant start a thread where when a H.A.M.B.er is having a hell of a time finding a part, they could post it, and SOMEONE in here will either have one, or know where to get it. No BS, just old school parts connections being shared all on one thread.:cool:

11. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

And for the record I have never seen (nor do I care to) American Graffiti! F#%king old people..... I swear!:p

12. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

I think the moral of this story is that Beep was saying that the KID mistakenly tried to look up a part for a CHEVY Ranchero instead of a FORD Ranchero, not that HE asked the KID for parts to a CHEVY Ranchero.

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Are you nuckin' futs? Here's the quote:
    "The guy at my Autozone told me that Chevy never made a Ranchero, much less a 1959 one."

If what you said is true, Beep is one of the worst joke writers on this forum.

14. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Thats not just auto part stores with that problem. How did we ever survive without computers?

15. streetlordz

streetlordz

I think they came factory with some hondas. Oh wait, wrenches are no longer used on cars, I forgot.

16. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The joke is on you! There is a 302 Lincoln engine that uses a different valve cover than your newer lincoln 302.
    In 1956, Ford truck used a "Y" block Lincoln engine and made it a 302 for a F750 truck.

The valve cover is about 2" longer than the newer 302. NAPA also told me that they no longer carry them.

17. chevy3755

chevy3755

time for the popcorn and a front row seat

18. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

I find it more pathetic not that your 18 year old kid at the parts store didn't know what you needed, but that you have been in the car building game this long and have forgotten to find a parts guy that knows his shit and is your "go to" person for parts.

19. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Years ago I was the manager of a well known speed shop in Tulsa. I had one young man that was rebuilding the 289 in his Fairlane and wanted my advice as to what he should do to "hop it up". I sold him the usual intake, 600 Holley, headers, mild cam etc. About a week later he came in and said he had the engine done and back in the car and was going to fire it up for the first that evening. He asked if I would come by and help him with the fire up and agreed to swing by after I closed. I arrived and gave it quick looking over to see if he had missed anything obvious and told him everything looked in order. After the twenty minute cam break in we set the timing and idle and he hopped in to take it around the block. His dad said don't go far with those open headers as he was backing out of the garage. I stayed and chatted with his dad as we waited and waited and waited for his sons return. Finally we see a truck towing the Fairlane back to the house. When we questioned the son he said it was running good so he decided to jump on it for just a little bit and suddenly there was a loud noise and the rear tires locked up and the engine quit. He said when he tried to restart it the starter just buzzed real loud but wouldn't turn over. I grabbed the belt and tried to turn the engine by hand but it was locked up. We pushed the car into the garage and after putting it on jack stands decided to pull the pan. Once the pan was dropped the carnage was quiet evident. Two of the main caps were in the bottom of the pan while the others were half off, several bent connecting rods and one very broken crankshaft. I asked them what they had torqued the mains to and received the "deer in the headlights" look from both. They hadn't torqued anything when they rebuilt the engine. The next day the father and son team came to the store carrying all the speed parts I had sold them and demanded their money back. I asked "on what basis?" The father said "if you hadn't sold us these speed parts the engine wouldn't have failed." "It wasn't the parts I sold you that caused your failure, but the fact that you didn't use a torque wrench when assembled the engine. I can't give you your money back because of your mistake." The father asked " What are we supposed to do with this stuff?" "Well, you could always hang them in your rec room" I replied. "Rectum?" the father shouted, "I'll hang 'em in your rectum," as they marched out the door. I still chuckle about that even though it was almost 40 years ago.

20. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

....What's a wrench?:confused:

21. had a customer who wanted a reground crankshaft and main bearing kit for his 4.3 chevy V-6. a week later he brings it back all greasy and the bearings messed up demanding his money back because it didn't fit , it was "too loose" . after examining his block a couple main bearings had spun ruining it. he said he knew that , but thought the "oversized" bearings would take care of that

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

This one is the common one you see everywhere he said in 90 there were two different ones these are a common engine, normally this gasket is standard stock everywhere. Entire car is pretty much off the shelf ford stuff

23. slyhog022056

slyhog022056

I have just sat here reading all of this and to put in my "ordeal" recently bought a 1952 olds 98 with the 303. Pulled off the cap, rotor, plugs, points and condensor. I proceeded to go to oreileys to get replacements so i could see if this thing would fire up. Told them the make, year and model and even took in the parts to match them up. 3 guys and 1 woman working there were just awestruck when i told them what i needed. The best response was when the manager ( mid 40's) asked if i needed the electronic ignition control module. Out the door to NAPA, same scenario but this time i got a cap, rotor and wires for a chev 350 since it was the closest match. No wayyy, Then i asked if they carried 6 volt batteries, their answer " we have 12 volt, AA and 9 volt batteries" ADIOS. On to the GM dealership.... This was hilarious they had nothing going back for more than 10 years in their computers, i went and got one of the older mechanics from the shop and he told them to look the parts up on the microfiche. Talk about a lot of totally lost people, the microfiche machine was right there on the counter but none of them even knew what it was. Well this mechanic looked up everything for me and gave the guys the part numbers... then to get one more laugh...points, condensor, cap rotor, wires, plugs, coil...almost $800 with 50% up front and a 4 to 6 week wait.
    I was about to give up when i found a place online with everything in stock and paid a whopping $165 for it all with shipping included.

24. Every time this subject comes up, which seem to have about a 6 week turnaround, it's the same old crap, the same old lies (710 caps, Pontiac goolies), the hilarious joke that you played on them, asking for muffler bearings and left handed screwdrivers (also about 99% lies) and so on. I don't know what backwater burgs you people live in. I'm in the greater Los Angeles area. You know, La La Land, the Land of Fruits and Nuts, you've all heard of it. I've been working on cars, bikes, lawnmowers, anything with an engine, for over 50 years. I'm in the parts stores pretty regularly. I have never had, even one, of the things mentioned in these, seemingly endless threads, happen to me. I have dealt with female counter people (typically, not the best but usually OK), young counter people (Sometimes need to be a little patient, but never a problem). Excess acne has, also, never been an issue. Even if it were, isn't a bit cruel to make light of it? I shop at O'Reilly's (not my favorite, but they're close and their oil, filters, etc. are the same as everyone else. The one in my town has pretty sharp guys) and my local independent.(never a problem with them, either). Maybe I've just hit the autoparts lotto all of my life, I don't know. I have to go after I'm done here to pickup a head set, a timing belt and some misc. odds and ends for the daughters PT Loser. Perhaps today will be the day that I'm asked, "Two or four wheel drive? Bucket seats? What color are the floor mats?" We'll see.

25. dayid

dayid
    from Central FL

...I don't get it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. arbs1976

arbs1976

Yeah happens to me all the time! Most all of the time they have what you need it's just hard to get them to actually find it.......

27. Smartest post in this whole shit show.

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I used to have a good parts guy but the box stores have run him out of business

29. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Duh, it's LA! I bet you ALSO never have a hard time finding AWESOME weed either! Or surfers, actors, or girls with wieners. For the REST of us that live in the real world....It is hard out here for a pimp!;)

30. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

I DID call Advanced auto today (pretty good crew there for a chain store) too ask for "tappet wrenches", well every time I call for something I ask for a fake part first, Flux capacitor for a Delorian, ect. Just to make sure I don't have a dumb ass on the phone, the real guys KNOW better and will laugh. well today I don't know who the hell answered the phone but I asked for a radiator for my '72 Beetle (air cooled motor), sure enough, click click click click in the background, "1972 you say?" So as not to be a TOTAL dick I let him in on it, and told him that I actually needed some tappet wrenches, he still thought that I was screwing with him!! I have checked at 4 places and only ONE had ever heard of them, and even they could not get 'em. As far as I know a "tappet" wrench is about TWICE as long, and HALF as thick, as a usual wrench. Anyone know where to get a full standard set (new OR used) of them? Thanks! Steve