Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wisconsin show dates needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da dodge brother, Aug 22, 2012.

1. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ---I need any existing show dates and areas they're located in for the following dates. These are for 2013 and the future and are weekend dates. May 31,and June 1,2 -- June 7,8,9, and June 14, 15, 16. This is for the Stevens Point KKOA show and our location is Central Wisconsin. What we are really interested in are established events that cater towards the Kustoms and Hot Rods. A traditional style event. Please let us know ASAP.... Also please no parking lot, one day type events...:cool:

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

do you really think changing the date is going to make a difference?

while you are at it, search weather for rain possibilities. I bet you will find Late May/Early June to have a much higher chance than mid-August.

3. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

It's change the date or you were at the one and only ....

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you really need to change the name. The current name is stupid and makes no sense.

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

so Titus is holding the event hostage just so he can show you who is the boss? The date isn't the problem. Lack of promotion is! Tell Titus you don't need KKOA, or his heavy-handed and antiquated ideas.

Tell us what KKOA really did for the show, other than throttle the promotion to the point that nobody even knew about it? Oh yeah, they came up with the stupid name.

It's pretty sad when a regional show like Symco can draw four times as many showcars as the big famous worldwide KKOA. Why do you think that is? Cause Cliffy promoted the heck out of Symco. He goes at it 366 days/year.

ditch KKOA and produce the show yourself. You certainly have my support.

6. Speed~On

Speed~On

Be careful with your June dates as well. Remember the MSRA Back To The 50's is in June and it's also a 3 day event. The Back To The 50's is a "can't miss" event for a lot of people. It draws 11,000 cars and asking people to go on (2) 3 day car shows on back to back weekends is a lot to ask of a family man.

7. TheFish

TheFish

Also keep in mind there's a new show starting next year called Mississippi Mayhem near the La Crosse area. She will be promoting the Hell out of that as well. And I for one can say this Vagabond and a few others will help her do so. It will be a great event. I support KKOA but the first flyer I saw was Saturday at Symco when someone gave us it at the Vagabonds shirt selling table. After being at Symco 4 days and then not knowing of a 3 day show scheduled the following weekend until a week before, no way I was gonna go. sorry!

Posted from Jalopyjournal.com App for Android

8. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

What's the date on the Mississippi/LaCross event ?????

9. http://www.facebook.com/MississippiMayhem

Here is all you need to know on that John.

Sorry to tell you but the schedule is pretty darn full. There are I believe 9 new major midwest events since Symco #1.

May is cold and Torquefest, Rust Revival with Spring Jefferson to kick it off end of April.

June is a MESS with tons of small car shows. Hot Rod Power Tour is the first week. Back to the 50's. Hunnert Heads Up. Good luck with that month.

July. HA HA, yeah right. 4th...Iola...Appleton Old Car Show, Meltdown Drags and for me the Symco Thresheree. July is such a horrible busy month for me at least. Not much cash left for hot rodders by the end of that month.

August. First weekend for us is setup Symco Weekend. You won't get a dozen cars from our group because of that, then you have all the people getting ready for Symco because they are taking vacation the end of the week for Symco. I have people trying to set up on Weds each year. Then Hamb Drags, Cheaterama and REST for a huge lot of pooped Symco campers.

Labor Day weekend is the Corn Roast and Rumblefest.

Sept you have small local cruise nights, back to school conflicts and Fall Jefferson. Now Mississippi Mayhem. That took your old weekend I think.

Oct was the Pileup but Iron Invasion seems to be taking over pretty strongly.

Trying to find room for a weekend event and competing against established events is going to be tough. I think you should either team up with some other event or abandon it. That Sept date last year was good for our group and we would have came in strong force. Rebecca Brown's event will fill that Sept gap well and you'll have a VERY tough time going up against her. She is a pro and I see her pounding the pavement hard, she will have a lot of support.

There isn't any money left in most pockets after all the "must attend" events now. We got lucky we were first to market in this area. Car shows are out. Lifestyle events are what are hot. The if you mark off the parking lot, they will come, car show promotion doesn't work anymore, way too many shows. People are bored with the standard car show.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  10. MilesM

MilesM

Suprised you can not just check GG's and NSRA schedules and check the Hemmings events page and HAMB calander. No local event web pages? How do you find car shows to go to?

Oh, the name is stupid in case no one has told you that! Ha Ha

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

check Hemmings?

KKOA did not even list the show in Hemmings OR Old Cars Weekly. And that is FREE!

yes, many customs are owned by older guys, but those are the same guys that still read Hemmings and Old Cars Weekly. I am one of them!

12. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

This is our 13th year doing our show. The first one was probally 20 cars total and 10 were club members. We grew year by year. We didn't expect to have hundreds of cars ever. You shouldn't either. Do it for the love of the cars not for the mass numbers. If it is a good show you will grow from word of mouth. If it sucks, you won't. By complaining about the numbers and how you have to compete with other shows is not the way to get more cars. The Cheaterama now has hundreds of cars who can't even get onto the lot to park but it doesn't stop anyone from comming. It is all our venue and our vibe. Everyone knows that we are in it for the right reason, People who come know that our show is the last show before fall and seem to never miss it. The scene has tons of great show including Symco and hopefully the Iron Invasion. Maybe you should go help out at one of these and see what they do right. Good Luck.
    CheaterJack
    Oh come to our show tomorrow and see what we do right.

13. ALLISON

ALLISON

I just wanted to add to this thread that next year there is a new show in July too... 7-20-13, Krome 'n Kandy.. kustom and rod show, Minneapolis MN.. the site isn't up yet but dates and places are set.

14. rustang

rustang

We just did a show this last weekend (just a regular OT show where all cars are invited) all for our non-profit organization.

Even though we woke up Sunday morning to the hardest rain of the season and the park were were holding in was essentially a swamp by the river, we still managed 110 cars from as far away as Illinois and MN.

This was only our second year (last year was 170 cars), but I/we promoted the hell out of the show, and hit alot of local/semi-local events with flyers, etc.

Promotion is a huge thing.... and probably can be said to be the main thing

15. Speed~On

Speed~On

Dodge Brother,
    Here are 2012 dates for shows. For 2013 just figure these shows will be held on the corresponding weekend in 2013.

April
    27-29 Spring Jefferson

May
    4-5 Torque Fest

12 Boondockers, Concord, WI

18-19 Rust Revival, Wayland MO

19 Automotion (Wi Dells)

18-19 Vinatge Racing Road America

June
    2 Road Block Yorkville, IL

9 Scrap Drive

16 Hunnert Heads Up

22-24 MSRA Back To The 50's

July
    8 Blanchardville

12 Iola Swap Meet

13-14 Barnyard Boogie

21 Reedsburg Car Show

August
    4-5 Summer Elkhorn

10-12 Symco Shakedown

25 CHEATERAMA!

25 Bombs Away Bash

Aug 31-Sept 2 Rumblefest

September
    1-2 Rumblefest cont.

16 Beloit Autorama

October
    5-6 Iron Invasion

I think you could put on a well attended show in 2013. Just pick a date and go with it. Perhaps somewhere in the July 13-14 would work for you as the Barnyard Boogie is a long drive from Wisconsin. Like all the others have mentioned it needs to be promoted. If people don't know about it then your attendance will suffer. Perhaps consider Madison. Other than a few local small "cruise-ins" there isn't a damn thing there for car shows! I know that sounds crazy but they don't have 1 decent show all year.

Good luck and keep at it.

16. Speed~On

Speed~On

17. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Thanks Speedon. Your help is really appreciated. We are looking into other dates and venues. Will keep things posted....

18. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Speedon, The Road Apples show is pretty huge for a one day event in Sun Prairie, It brings in a lot of different cars of all makes and ages. Last weekend in June I think? Like Cliffy said, find a gap in the dates and promote the heck out of it. A week before Rumblefest and the WSRA Corn Roast maybe?

19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

note the OPEN weekend right after Symco.

Hmmm, isn't that the same weekend for this year's show?

It isn't the date, nor is it the venue.

have you KKOA guys ever tried smelling salts?

20. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

actually - there are some things already changing for next year that I know of - but I am not officially involved in them so I can not tell what dates will be changing. As well as other shows in WI getting added.
    I can tell you that the Iron Invasion is seriously considering changin to the 2nd weekend in OCT.
    Many have expressed concern about running against the Newport Hill Climb, Cruise to the Woods, and the big model convention.
    And the Madison angle is smart....
    there are so many people down here that wont go to events North of Madison - the only point of reference they have is Green Bay - and they dont want to go all the way up there.....

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

The City of Madison is NOT car-friendly. Bicycles, yes. Cars, no.

But perhaps Sun Prairie? Northern suburb and the ammenities of Madison are still close.

22. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

First off a great big THANK YOU to all you guys for your input. We are norrowing in on a different date. Your help is really appreciated. OK now go to the thread "Gorilla Stomp turned out OK". Checkout all the postings and then the last posting by Da Dodge Brother. We should have some fun with this (I hope) ...;);)

23. J53

J53
    from WI

Don't forget many of us here are also fans of the 2-wheelers and next year is Harleys 110th aniversary. Another weekend (Labor Day?) shot...

also check out the calender on www.oldride.com

24. I pm'd you, it's long and not for HAMB eyes.
    Thanks. Curt R

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  25. Cant some of you read..IT SAYS WISCONSIN SHOW DATES....Hey T-ski dont let anyone thats not within 250 miles of your show infuence you..Not everyone go's to Iowa or Illinois etc.for a show..so I really dont think they count. I think most people come from closer to home than some people want to admitt...Especially when you consider the price of fuel and motel rooms...p.s. look for a new show to surface in the near future..but dont expect any threads asking fo pointers on a date....

26. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Thanks for all your support Kelly. Do check out thread "Wisconsin KKOA show a go for 2013". Tryin' to keep the fire lit ...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  27. Excuse me mr T-SKI I think you mean 2013..Good for you !! Unless I tip over I'll be there!!

28. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Old people tryin' to type.... Corrected Kelly ...