Register now to get rid of these ads!

322 Nailhead in a Shoebox Ford... Please Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I've been doing what research I can to find out what I need to install a 322 Buick nailhead into my '49 Ford sedan. I've got the engine, a '50 Merc overdrive transmission, and an Offenhauser adaptor to mate the two. The nailhead has the stick flywheel. What else do I need? I assume that a Ford or mercury clutch would be used which I have access to- any special bearings or machining?

Also, will a Mercury 3 spd. overdrive bolt into a ford frame or are the merc/ford transmissions different?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. -P40-

2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I've found a picture of this setup from a guy on ruffrodders.com named drag fink... is he here on the hamb as well? Here's the pic...

Attached Files:

3. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

Try "MrGasser" on here. I think they are the same person. Hope it helps!

4. your 1957 little book that lists adapters should have the transmission and what is needed to connect them.

Attached Files:

5. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Awesome! Thanks!

Thanks Tokyo! Looks like it was in a HOT ROD mag from '57... maybe the annual? I'll take a look tonight.

6. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Have a 322 in my shoebox. Used an offy adapter to a 54 type ford trans and a home made adapter plate to mate an s10 5 speed. Redrilled the flywheel to bolt up a modern diafhram pressure plate and used the s10 pressure plate. Used some s10 parte to rig up a hydraulic clutch linkage. Used the nailhead front mounts. Built my own brackets and welded them to the frame to mate up with the nailhead front mounts. Used an s10 trans mount, reworked the stock cross member so that the centre portion was removable. Had to rework the firewall to gain a bit of additional clearance. Uaed a 91 ranger rear end. Makes a great cruiser. Pm me if you want any more info

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Thanks for the info Rick!

8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I found the info in one of my old Hot Rod Annuals... here's what's needed (as far as stated in the magazine) when mating a 322 to a early ford three speed or in my case a Merc 3 spd. overdrive.

322 + 322 stick flywheel + 11" Ford flathead truck clutch + Offy transmission adaptor and finally the transmission.

Hope this helps and if anyone knows of any other parts needed chime in!

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

You will also need a pilot bushing or bearing. I had a '49 Ford back in '65 or '66 that I bought from a guy that bought it with the Buick in it and blew the engine up. He threw the engine away before I bought it, and I made a bushing out of oilite in high school shop class. Wish I could be more helpful but just measure carefully and find one that measures Buick outside and Ford inside.