Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Can anyone identify this old vette kustom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatty mcguire, Aug 26, 2012.

1. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  2. F&J

F&J

I see two things that make me think that it is not an old build.....unless it had some makeover work much later?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The headlights, tail lights and grill say mid 60's the Ford products hood scoop looks to be a much later addition.

I think that there is a back quarter shot of that car or one quite similar with Dean Jefferies (sp?) style scallops on it in some mid 60's car magazine or one of those .75 trend specials. The headlight treatment and grill are obvious "we can get X more points if", items. I'm thinking that the original car may have had a couple of chrome tubes in that opening for a grill rather than the grill it has.

4. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

I know for a fact it was done several times over, but dont know exactly what

5. well if the first pic is supposed to be vintage someone should have moved the mid 80s chrysler out of the frame

6. F&J

F&J

that explains the odd mix of parts dates.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not all of the doo overs were for the best either but to keep it current for the show circuit.

It would take me about two solid days of digging and sorting to find the book it might be in in one of the boxes of books I have out in the shed.

8. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

Well im in the market for a new car and saw this up for sale, so any info would be great

9. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I got nothing. But I would want to know if it had relative history before I redone the frontend. I am not trying to make insults. But it would be hard to improve on the stock 58 frontend.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sphynx, each time that car was redone and it appears that it was redone every two or three years for about 15 years the guys redoing it didn't give a rip about it's history as the history meant that it was outdated for the show circuit and needed to be updated. The updating was done with the show judging sheet tacked to the shop wall so that they could figure out how to get as many points as possible. The peaked headlights don't add a thing to the car but they were probably worth five points during judging.

11. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Being a virgin as to show cars........ Just adding bad shit because you can, means you get more points (?) or does some kind of plan (?) mean anything?

12. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

love or hate kind of car, but i like the peaks on the head lights

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

those wheels remind me of VW wheels... the shape of the center moon part looks weird, wonder if it's on a bug pan?

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

What year is on the title? It reminds my of Buster Dobb's '53... The rear quarters at least... The front-end, of course, is completely different and, obviously, that's a later car.

[​IMG]

15. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

16. thesupersized

thesupersized

hard to believe noone recognizes this radical custom.

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Sorry I can't help. Fortunately until now I have never seen it before.

I loved the Dobbs' Corvette when it came out but this one looks like somebody's poor attempt to get a total wreck back on the road. JMO

18. I think witth the right paint job, rims, and tires it would be a cool kustom piece.

19. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Whatever was done to it .....is FUGLY...jus sayin'...thought it was hard to screw up a 58 'Vette...someone did it tho'...jus my "PINION."

20. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I agree. Seems like there was no vision for this build. It's hard to believe the front end treatment, scoop, and sidepipes are on the same car.

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The license plates on it are Omaha, Nebraska...if that helps any...I don't recognize the car and I lived in Omaha for many years.

R-

22. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

Believe it or not the car was started to be built in 1958 and started the build with 30 miles on the car, as years pass buy people mess with it hence the torino scoop and side pipes

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  23. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

24. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

25. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

26. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Man that is a horrible thing to do to a nice old vette. Even if it was started when almost new,I would have thought someone would have tried to save that thing somewhere along the line. N.N.

27. ScottV

ScottV

I am meeting with a friend whom is the Police Chief in a suburb tomorrow, I'll see if he can get anything on the plates.

28. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the most part yes.

Show car guys from the era that that car was shown in were known for taking the judging sheets for the shows and going over them checking off the modifications and number of modifications that they could do in their class and garner points. Each mod was worth up to a certain amount of points and the car with the most points won the class.

30. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire