Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update on my F1 (no longer my daily – crashed)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I recently got a compliment on my F1 from another member and it occurred to me that outside of a few friends I had never made it known that it had been crashed or posted pictures of the damage. It happened back in April.

The truck itself is similar to so many others. Just an F1 with old paint, proper stance and my choice of wheels and tires – which happen to be chrome reverse with 670-15 Firestones. But the story behind the truck makes it special. Without boring you with details, my late father-in-law made it possible for me to have this truck. The marathon trip north to pick it up was all his doing and it all went down roughly a month before he passed due to pancreatic cancer.

I have driven the living shit out of this truck over the past two years and it has given me some of the best times ever... then had me hysterics within the hour.

I love it and it absolutely kills me to see it smashed and setting in the garage, but I've made my choice and deal with it for now. (It was insured and I did get a modest settlement, but I made big kid choices and paid off some bills)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

In the meantime I've been working furiously at my day job and doing what I can in the garage, hanging out with friends and snapping poorly composed pics of their cars, getting some surgery here and there (unrelated to the accident) and dreaming of other F1s from which I might like to take cues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  3. Dang

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

And that brings me to the last part of this post. I really didn't realize how many people were out there helping me until last Friday night at the HAMB Drags. There may have been a dozen folks who approached me with a line on F1 sheet metal. A bed, a front clip, cab, chassis, etc. I told each of them thanks and explained that I had been lucky enough to scoop most everything I need. The stuff I got is actually '51 stuff... which I had planned to swap to at some point anyway. I like it more and my father-in-law actually drove a '51 back in the day.

The parts themselves are more rotten than I first realized but I'll deal. So I'm hoping this is a kind of catch all for anyone else who might still be scouting F1 steel for me. Much appreciated but I think I'm good. Pretty sure the frame is still straight and I'm going to try to save the cab. Updates as I get more time in the garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Try doing that with an 07 BMW !!!!!!!

6. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

You gotta tell us about th wreck, with the bed like that and only one side of the front and the rear bumper straight? Sandwiched?

7. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Man thay was a pretty hard smack. So you were rearended and puahed into another car? Sorry for the loss of your father in law sounds like you guys were close.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well worse case of molested steel have been brought back to life. YOU'VE GOT THIS KEVIN!!! Make it better then ever. Glad to see no one was really hurt and that you're still in positive spirits about the whole thing.

9. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

What a shame! Good luck on the rebuild!

10. I had a 51 F-1, Loved it! Your truck looks very repairable...how about a before shot?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sandwiched between two 4X4's?

That looks pretty bad but it does look like they missed the frame so that helps.

I'd get the bed off and take a porta-power to the back side of the cab and get the cab aligned so the doors fit and open right and then decide if I was going to straighten or replace the back of the cab.

I've always liked the Chuck Porter truck and thought he got it right when he did it.

Sad to see it banged up but it will come back better than ever with a whole new attitude.

12. Gator

Gator

Great story Kevin - had a minor crash in my DD '55 Chevy a few months back, been collecting parts for a minor do-over this winter. Thankfully I was able to continue driving mine.

[​IMG]

13. snelson57

snelson57

Sorry to hear about your wreck....Good luck on the rebuild.

Wow - I love that Chuck Porter truck.

14. jfrolka

jfrolka

Has always been an awesome truck, glad to see that it wasnt given up on.

15. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

DAMN! glad your back on track with it!

16. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

Mine almost a year ago, since sold.

Attached Files:

17. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Hey Kevin:

I am in need of some of the Bumper bolts for the 49 Plymouth bumpers if they are available.

B:)B

18. Man, I hate to see your F-1 crunched up like that. I've loved it since day 1. Good on you for getting it back on the road though. Are you going to swap in the 51-52 Dash? I think they're way prettier than the 48-50.

19. 2935ford

2935ford

Kevin...you're a man of resources.....you'll put it back together good or better than it was before.

20. I'm Glad to see you kept the truck-more happy you are here to tell the tale-things could always have been worse.
    Opportunities sometimes present themselves in ways we don't immediately understand.
    Now comes the opportunity to make it what you dreamed-

21. sorry to hear about the wreck

good luck on the rebuild

22. ryno

ryno

Reggie at Kc obsolete has a shit load of f1 parts in miller/philips mo outside of Carthage. If you need anything from him let me know and I'll deliver it next weekend for greaserama good guys

23. Holy squeeze play Batman!

That's a pretty good hit.

Glad to hear things worked out insurance wise.

Still sucks to see any old vehicle wrecked.

24. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, I know the feeling! I have looked at the Plymouth crashed "beyond saving" twice in the last twenty or so years of having it in my life. It just sort of tears your soul out on kind of the same level as having to put down a beloved pet. The good thing is, unlike that pet, old metal saves and will be whole again... I'm doing the same with the Plymouth as we speak. Tons of work, but in couple of weeks I'll have my mojo back!

26. squirrel

squirrel

took me 7 years to get mine back on the road after the wreck...I hope you do better! looks like you're gonna do a bunch of cutting as well as straightening...

btw it was nice to almost meet you when Jeff was putting his carbs back together

27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha – I like your style, Bob but... NO. :) I'm using the bumpers and bolts in the rebuild.

And yeah, I was rear ended by a van and pushed into a late model pickup. The guy who hit me straight up lied – said I had already hit the truck in front of me and that's why he hit me. It was ridiculous but the truth came out as soon as the other driver's statement was taken.

Learned a lot about proper insurance and making sure your VIN is legit too. My plate is scratched so was misread at the scene. Caused a few days of hassle.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Like I said I'm in pretty good shape with parts, but as I think about it I am looking for a set of '54 Ford wheel openings. So if anyone has anything laying around shoot me a PM with a price.

After the rebuild I'll definitely be carrying more insurance.

28. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha – Nice to almost meet you too.

29. That sucks man, the rebuild will be bad ass though.

30. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

what a heart breaker, Kev. Jay mentioned it around the time it happened and my heart just sank.
    sounds like you've got a good plan. i'll keep my eyes open for 54 wheel openings.