Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. partsrivet

partsrivet

Yet another shot of Don Grotheer. This is from La Place in May of 1967. If anything is repeated, my apologies. [​IMG]

2. partsrivet

partsrivet

The Dacus Brothers from Hawkins TX ran this B/G Anglia after purchasing it the previous year. I think I posted at least one view of it when it was painted red. La Place, LA 5-67[​IMG]

3. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here's some more action from the 66 Nationals. I can't make out who these guys are, but the push truck says Grand Bend Raceway, which I thought was in Canada. Any guesses on who they might be?[​IMG]

4. partsrivet

partsrivet

Paul Frost from Dayton ran this nice looking gasser out of Brockman's Speed Shop. Indy, 9-66[​IMG]

5. partsrivet

partsrivet

One of my favorite Div IV cars was Frank Smith's A/C from Oklahoma City. Here he's making a pass at the points race at Opelousas in 1967. [​IMG]

6. partsrivet

partsrivet

If I was the starter here at Green Valley, I'd have been a little nervous when they ran 4 abreast. Someone get's a little sideways and the fun would be over![​IMG]

7. partsrivet

partsrivet

Leon Greff from Metarie LA in the DM/SP takes on Sammy Cunningham from Nederland TX in the DM/SP Vette. Think Sam went on to take the division title that year. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  8. partsrivet

partsrivet

Not sure of who this fuel car at La Place is. As we've discussed before, this was one of those places where you could get right up close to the action-good or bad. 5-1967[​IMG]

9. partsrivet

partsrivet

Ramchargers AA/FD Indy 1967[​IMG]

10. partsrivet

partsrivet

Charlie Allen's Dart during eliminations at the 66 Nationals. More when I get Photobucket figured out. [​IMG]

11. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Hey partsrivet!

Thanks for that great shot of the Dacus Brothers Anglia from Hawkins,Tx.
    My brother and I chased that car from drag strip to drag strip for many many years! Around 1976 a friend of mine bought the car from the Dacus Brothers after they had quit running it. My good friend, Arile Brannan from Kilgore,TX put the car on the street. In 1976 Car Craft Magazine came to town and took photos of my 1940 Willys Coupe and the former Dacus Brothers Anglia rolling down the streets of Kilgore,Tx. I think the issue it came out in was June Car Craft 1976. Cool then-still cool now!

1940 Willys Coupe

12. WCD

WCD

While most likely AA/FD's, I cant seem but to see a pair of top gas before me. Far side being Push and Cain from Kansas in the far lane and Paris Bros near lane.

13. Anybody notice the lack of blower belt idler on the Ramchargers iron 426?
    Almost looks like they tensioned it with shims on the upper pulley...hmm.

The Surfers did the same thing by changing thickness of blower base gasket on their '92s.

14. Exactly how Tom Jobe ran the belt on the Surfers car. Fits right in with typical Skinner & Jobe philosophy. One less piece to maintain and worry about! Tom was one of the few T/F wrench men that machined his own blowers.

15. bentwings

bentwings

When we ran Top Gas we also ran without an idler pulley. It was a weight issue. I think they weighed about 3 pounds back then. We had a number of spacers that I made in the machine shop where i worked.

16. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I still don't get this. Are they cutting time for street stock elim's or something? How could you tell the et or even a close win?
    Tom S.

17. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Photobucket's engineers were doing maintenance,

18. Not really a drag car in motion, but I thought this Eric Rickman photograph was so cool that I had to share it here.

[​IMG]

19. partsrivet

partsrivet

I don't remember seeing the Ramchargers run this car at Indy in 67, but here it is on the trailer at the end of the last day. Anything with a 426 in it was OK by me. [​IMG]

20. partsrivet

partsrivet

Dennis Oncale from Houma LA makes a pass during Street Eliminator action at La Place in May of 1967. C/MP was one of the most popular NHRA classes in 66 and 67. One of those years, I forget which, Nationals announcer Dave McClelland said there were 101 C/MP's at the race that year. It was truly the march of the small block Chevy's. Note that not only is there no guard rail here, there's not even a fence separating the fans from the action. Track lawyers would need resuscitation if they saw such things today. [​IMG]

21. partsrivet

partsrivet

Bobby Butcher gets the Carroll Bros. AA/FD underway at the Tulsa points race in April of 1967. They later lost out to Vic Brown. [​IMG]

22. partsrivet

partsrivet

Kelly Chadwick from Floydada TX on a time trial run before the match bash at Green Valley in 1966. [​IMG]

23. partsrivet

partsrivet

Sammy Cunningham's Corvette was a regular at both Div IV and national meets. At the 66 Nationals he had his car set up to run CM/SP whereas at home it often ran DM/SP. On the far side is the cool gasser called the Moose belonging the Reinford Bros from Pottstown PA. My friends didn't care for this action and didn't understand what they thought was a waste of film on my part, but I absolutely loved it all and my only regret is not shooting more during those wonderous time trials moments[​IMG].

24. partsrivet

partsrivet

Some racers Nationals were definitely better than others. Tommy Ivo's plans came to an abrupt end as seen here in the pits in 1967. There will be no core credit on that blower! [​IMG]

25. partsrivet

partsrivet

Here's another for you Gary. Winter has passed and the Dacus Brothers from Hawkins TX are chasing points at the first Div IV meet of the year. Between this race and the one a month later at La Place, LA, the car will be painted yellow as seen in a recent post. There are a couple of other views of this car scattered about on this thread and HAMBer 1940 Willys Coupe tells me he and his brother chased this car all over the region. Gary, you can pick up the story from there if you want-its a good one. [​IMG]

26. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Hey partsrivet!

Man on Man! Another great shot of that Dacus Brother's Anglia in the "Red Paint" trim. This was shortly after the Dacus Brothers bought this car from some farmers in Kansas. Yes, the Dacus Brothers were after points in Division Four and brother did they travel all over to get those points. Reason why my brother and I chased that car everywhere. Wasn't unsual to race at I-20 Raceway in Tyler, TX on Saturday night and then load up and drive to Corpus Christi, TX. A (a good seven hour drive from Tyler), get there around 8 AM, Dacus would unload the car and the fun would begin. Those we indeed the days brother! Young, strong and full of piss and vinegar! No more, but it is a great feeling to have these memories still banked away in that old treasure chest memory of mine!

Thanks again partsrivet for all!

Gary Ratliff aka 1940 Willys Coupe

27. WCD

WCD

Danny Miller bought this car and used it as his first effort in FC racing. He ran the car with just injectors in 1969 on the UDRA circuit and beat more than a few blown cars. He later added a blower and a Maverick body.

28. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

29. chase knight

chase knight

I was in the starting line tower at Indy when Ivo kaboomed that one. Pieces went well over the three-story finish line tower. One of the two loudest race car explosions I've ever heard (Shelly Anderson's at E-Town was the other, but that's too recent to mention). Regards, Chase

30. BlownBlu55

BlownBlu55
    from East TX

Anyone have any pictures of Lindley Isonhood and his 63 Vette? He was always a local celebrity running in Div IV back in the day. The last time I saw him race was at the Motorplex in 1986 and he was against Buddy Ingersall in his BB/AT Buick. Lindley blew the center out of the clutch plate and never left the line.