Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 Cheap Engine Stands = 1 Flathead Engine Stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod_willie, Aug 24, 2012.

1. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

I took 2 engine stands and made one flathead engine stand. I will have more pics after it is painted.

Attached Files:

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's pretty nice, but wouldn't going to the exhaust ports have been OK?

3. Hey thats way cool! Got a couple flatheads to work on and right now they are on the floor.

4. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

That is a way cool idea for using cheapie engine stands! I can't believe I did not think of it my self. :)

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Not if you want to mexican hat-dance...

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

X2......... A single stand with the horizontal round tube fitted with an angled flange to bolt to the exhaust ports would have given complete rotation ability for bottom or top end work...complete access to front or rear components. A lot less fabrication and certainly less friction.

But, it obviously will work and that's the main thing.

Ray

7. Looks great buddy!!! Great job

8. jkeesey

jkeesey

The only problem ive found with a stand bolting to the exhaust ports is you cant clean the ports out unless you do one side and then switch the stand to the other side.

9. You can also add this and make it easy to turn for about 30 bucks.....and an old Chev timing set and a harbor frieght boat winch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Now, THAT is very clever !:D

Ray

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I guess I probably won't be able to afford a KR Wlson anytime soon so that'll Work!!! Good thinking WIllie!

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ok, I'm curious. I have a 46 Flathead I would love to hang on an engine stand but I knew the bellhousing wasn't strong enough (like you would do a Chevy, Ford, etc) So you are saying that making up a steel plate to go across the exhaust ports doesn't put any strain on the block ? How many bolts to you fasten it down with and what size steel do you use for the plate.

Don

13. Heo2

Heo2

I made mine like that but used a heavy c -chanel
    and drilled holes for the ports .And no rotating devise
    thats a god idea

14. Heo2

Heo2

4 inch hotrolled c chanel 1/4 inch thick..was the first useful scrap i found
    glued a exhaust gasket on it and drilled all 6 holes and hole for the ports
    so yo can clean them on the stand

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thank you, that is what I will be making.:) And I guess it is strong enough in that area to support the complete motor ?

Don

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Apparently, as the "KR Wilson" fixture mentioned above by Jeffrey James was the Ford Factory Service Tool for this very purpose and used the exhaust flanges bolt holes...........If Henry thought it was good enough, who are we to dispute him? :D

Ray

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That's really interesting, Ray. I just never thought of hanging the flathead by the side of the block. I am going to make one of those for sure and get the motor off my floor.

Thanks guys for that info. :)

Don

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I 'borrowed' that idea when setting up my straight eight Buick for overhaul on a stand. That's one puppy that really couldn't be hung from one end.

I made angle iron bracket that bolted onto the pan rail, and another that utilized the side mount boss, and they both bolt to the stock engine stand fixtures.

Ray

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

When you think about it, there is no way you can hang any engine where you can completely assemble it with one setup on a stand.

20. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

So am I to understand that you can not hang a flathead from the rear bellhousing area? Will it break the block? I am getting ready to hang one off a stand to use as my mailbox holder so I am using a cracked block. I dont want my motor to land on the mail mans toes!

21. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

There's wimps that tell you the bell housing will break off if you hang a 59 type block from
    the back and there's a whole lot of others that have been doing it since they first appeared
    in 1932. If the bell area is cracked, it could fall....If it is good, it will hang there forever.

22. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Thanks Pete, I have an old 8BA motor that has cracks around the exhaust valves but the block is sound. But I think I will be more cautious on my good motors, just in case. A lot of good ideas here.

23. PackardV8

PackardV8

I've got a factory-built flathead engine stand in my other garage. I'll post some photos next time I'm over there. It looks similar to yours, but not as sturdy. The single point stands were designed to hold 750# on one post. The flathead stands were designed to hold 500# over two posts.

jack vines

24. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I had a KR Wilson in the 80's I bought for 25 dollars, had no idea what it was, I adapted it for my first SBC rebuild. Wonder what ever became of that....

25. I use 3/8 plate and 4 bolts, the 2- 7/16 in front and two- 3/8 in back, bannana slice the pipe at 45 degrees and weld the plate to it............. and have had no trouble turning the complete engine and C4 behind it............

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Now that rotater is cool. I have some old Packard and Lincoln parts around here. Something to do while I recover from the Morton & Brett.

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can hang an 8ba from the bell housing bolts like you would any other motor but the bolt arrangement on the earlier flathead blocks supposedly isn't strong enough to support the motor on a conventional engine stand hence the use of a plate bolted to the exhaust flanges.

28. yup,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course not mine........:(

BTW, I like the cheap stand idea.........and the turner :)

29. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

I finish up the engine stand last night. Need start my next project.

Attached Files: