Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cleaning new tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john worden, Aug 24, 2012.

1. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

What WORKS to remove the waxy residue on the Black portion of new tires? Prefer NON SOLVENT cleaner if possible. Bleche-Wite won't touch it. Alkyd enamel reducer will cut it but there must be something better. Coker says Simple Green. I've searched the tech archive.

2. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simple green and a stiff brush.. I'd think bleach white would do it though.. strange.

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I've used prepsol, wax and grease remover. It's a lot less harsh than reducers.

4. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I use 409......

5. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Honestly, simple green words swell.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. badshifter

badshifter

A curb and my wife.

7. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Haha!!!!

8. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

I use a Meguiar's product called "super degreaser" works great .

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It's hard to get it completely clean because the oily or soapy residue keeps coming out of the tire. When it is all gone, years from now, the tire is hard, cracked and useless. It takes a couple of months before you can wash the tire clean.

10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I'm having good results now with moderate scrubbing with a brass bristle pot brush and Armor All Multi purpose cleaner. Probebly follow that with Westleys Bleche Wite and they should end up natural looking spotless rubber. Thanks for the input.

11. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I use Zep Formula 50. You can adjust the concentrate depending on what your doing. Its biodegradable, and has many other purposes, from cleaning gutters to removing the ink from an exploded pen in a white dress shirt pocket... 50/50 for engine degreasing....

It only $13 a gallon.

12. Deuces

Deuces

Women! Ya gotta love'em!..:eek::rolleyes:

13. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

OK It isn't going that well. Photo is after one scrubbing session with brass bristle brush/Armor All all purpose cleaner. Trouble is that when the surface is wet you can't see the residue so until the surface is dried you don't know if it is clean. This is getting old real quick. I emailed Harold Coker earlier today and asked for his advice. Will post response when I get it.

Attached Files:

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I can con my female into doing the cleaning, that's easy. What I don't get is you actually live somewhere where you won't get a "wasting natural resorces" ticket for letting water drip in the street? That's crazy talk!!!