Register now to get rid of these ads!

Norris Anderson 898 spin at Speedweek

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WZ JUNK, Aug 23, 2012.

1. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I did a seach and I did not see this posted. This is a link to video of Norris Anderson's run during Speedweek 2012 and his spin at about 220 mph at about the 5 mile mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gF2mU48xgs I watched it from his pit. I believe it was the first time he has spun the truck.

John

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He was on it pretty quick, but by the time it happened, it was already too late. Shiny side up and drove away..not too bad all things considered..

-Abone.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Gosh damnnn what a rush.

4. CruZer

CruZer

It sounds like he was fighting traction issues the whole way??

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Is this Norris Anderson from Jamestown, KS just outside of Concordia?

6. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

7. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

looks like he was sawin' away from the start and never stopped. that must be a real handful.

8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Yes, Norris is from Jamestown. He has an interesting history on dirt tracks and drag strips. Norris held two records with the truck at Bonneville. One his records was bumped up by the Jessel truck during this last Speedweek.

John

9. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He did a good job keeping it under control once the spin started.

10. For as much as I watch this truck I had not heard of it spinning. What a ride! :eek:

11. LabRat

LabRat

He is Badder than Chuck ... What a ride !

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I thought so, I have been to his shop years ago and always vistit with him at the wichita swap meets.

13. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

So what does a 220 mph spin on the salt do to the tires? Are they usable again?

14. wow a hand-ful for sure !!! >>>>.

15. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

When you spin, you are required to have the vehicle inspected by the tech people again. Usually there is no damage to the tires and wheels and they could not find anything wrong with the truck after this spin. It did collaspe the drivers door but it popped back out.

Norris was experimenting with a different tire and a weight combination that was new. After the spin, he elected not to run again as he felt the truck would just spin again. The truck is at the point where we say that it is up against the wall. This means that the present combination of engine and traction will not let it be pushed through the air any faster. The usual method is to add more weight at this point. We nearly doubled the weight of Hooley's Studebaker up to nearly 6,000 pounds to keep it from spinning.

John

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Man... That thing is a hand full... And Norris did a hell of a job.

17. driversroad

driversroad

I never knew that the Bonneville guys fought for traction as much was evident in the video. You definitely need a soft touch steering and stabbing'

18. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Actually that had a lot to do with why the truck went into a spin. It turns out that the truck was way to loose. If you compare the ride with other videos of runs on the salt, you can see the difference and hear the difference as it breaks loose and the engine revs. Norris is a very skilled driver and anyone else would never have made it as far as he did.

John

19. Always love that truck, he sure did his best to get it down the course. The damp salt didn't help the long course either. Even Mike Cook and a several others spun.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow what a run and what a great job of handling that spin. The only thing is I wish they would have mounted the camera so you could see past the hood scoop.

21. aircap

aircap

Time to bolt in a couple hundred pounds of weight....