Register now to get rid of these ads!

ODD cars and engines that run at BONNEVILLE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Aug 19, 2012.

1. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

a buddy of mine had one of those little 2 stroke honda cars while stationed in okinawa. you could always tell when he was drinking beer and mixing gas/oil by how much smoke poured out the back when he got to work :)

no mosquitos in our neighborhood ;)

2. JEM

JEM

That 'flathead' (if I know what you're talking about...) is a two-stroke, as were all the Saab motors until they adopted (and heavily improved...) the German Ford Taunus V4 (which was 2/3 of a Cologne V6 with a balance shaft) in '67. All but the later hotted-up Montecarlos expected oil mixed in the gasoline. Stock form they had the radiator behind the engine with a fan belt-driven by a long shaft off the front of the engine, commonly referred to as the 'single overhead fanshaft'.

In fact, when I first saw the banger on the first page of this thread with the injectors on both sides of the head, I first thought of some of the two-stroke speedway-car experiments of the '20s.

Wonder what class an early Saab 96 with a 700-750cc Suzuki bike motor would run in...nah, don't need any more projects.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  3. Here is a new one. Charlie Burns is dropping his Yblock and a Turbo into a GMC Sonoma minitruck!

4. J/GC ...and there are a few of those ~750cc motorcycle motored cars out there..and some hyabusa ones too.

5. Like This?
    [​IMG]

6. Somebody must have been REALLY Drunk, because HONDA NEVER made any Two Stroke Cars. Suzuki and Subaru yes, but Not Honda.;)

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

that would explain the smoke, there's a video somewhere of it being tuned out there on the portable water dyno, it sounds nothing like it looks, sounds like a pissed off harley with a lopey cam, I had the chance to see it actually run, it's hilarious to see it hauling ass on those tiny tires, looks like a bumble bee on speed

8. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

This is why I love racing with the SCTA. Even though the hot rods I race only have 2 wheels, there are no rule or specs when it comes to building cars/bike to race.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Old-Timer' Dick Beith still holds numerous VW records.

Dick was the founder of E.T. Mags, and my high school student teacher. (machine shop)

10. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

A little OT, but to answer one of the OP questions, Yes, because they can.
    My friend runs this car purely for personal satisfaction. He builds his own engines, and is not chasing any records. His personal goal was to hit 200, which he just did.

Attached Files:

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

Imagination and ingenuity is the main part of LSR. Throw in a large dose of pig headedness and you come up with some great and odd LSR vehicles. The SCTA, so far, have not pidgeonholed cars and bikes into neat little spec classes. Building something because you can is allowed. And building something to see how fast you can make it go and just for the hell of it is also allowed.
    [​IMG]
    By weslake at 2012-08-15

12. When this thread first showed up I was thinking about your rig. I was hoping that you would post your little racer.
    Good Luck,
    Johnny Sweet

13. firingorder1

firingorder1

Thanks Johnny. We had a great week. Ran over 130 with a 33 c.i. pushrod single. Took the gas record from 83 to 118 and the fuel record from 104 to 129.

14. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Bill, saw your records on the SCTA site. CONGRATS!! You coming out in Sept or will you still be recovering.

15. firingorder1

firingorder1

Hoping to be there in Sept. Penniless at the moment lance. But I'll figure something out.

16. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

17. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Stagger valve Fronty?

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I was thinking Stagger Valve Fronty too, I think this is a new casting of that famous design. Someone will correct me, but I think they only made six originals. Jim Franklin ran one and restored the car 20 so years ago. There was another in the Cunningham Collection in the 1970's, and I think a third is in the Snyder collection in Ohio. Bob

19. Bob,

Did the stagger-valve have intake/exhaust on both sides?

20. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Chasing open records and soft records and having fun with oddball stuff is where it's at. We've set (but not kept) 13 records that way with our 53' Stude coupe using:
    a turbocharged flathead 6 Stude motor
    a centrifugal huffed 8BA Ford flatty motor
    a destroked Stude v8 to 182 c.i.
    Our project expenses since 2003 are about $30k total, and we have given 8 guys a chance to run on the salt.......

21. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Engine classes run from AA 501 cubic inches (8.21 liters) and over down to K which is 30 cubic inches (0.5 liter, 500 cc). Some car classes don't allow the full range. Street Roadsters are only AA through H which is 62 through 92 cubic inches (1.01 - 1.50 liters). There are some really interesting little motors out there that can make some big horsepower. And don't forget that a supercharger (mechanical or turbo) puts you in a different class. In street roadsters, there are AA/BSTR and AA/STR classes because blown cars don't compete with the unblown.

Get yourself a rule book and a list or records and see where you could pick off an old record with a new car and engine combo.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, 4 valves per cylinder, with one intake and one exaust on either side. if I can find the feature in Old Cars Illuistrated I'll post it. Bob :)

23. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

I've seen this a few times at El Mirage and a few more times at Bonneville and every time I tell myself the same thing- "thats genius and i have no desire to ever ride it!!"

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

If it fits it ships at the Post Office, so if an engine fits in whatever it can run in LSR? That '69 Volvo P1800 on the side of my garage may turn into something after all. :rolleyes: Bob

25. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

my way of look in at bonneville is that any one can chop down a tree with an axe. only greats can use a bowling ball.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Three feet of well casing should make for a good cannon barrel.:rolleyes: Bob

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

that was my goal, but now so much life has happened between then and now it's never going to happen, wife won't let me race anyway, I was just under 4 MPH to 200, but the back end got light and started to shake, and I knew if I caught air it was going to be a disaster, so I had to back off and I yanked the chute, wasn't worth the risk of dying,still was a blast to try though, we split the cost between all ten of us so it came to about 3 grand each, that didn't include actually getting there or any other expenses, that was just the car and we did nearly everything ourselves, I think I may still have pictures somewhere, I lost a lot of chit when the ex wifey went

28. Something slightly OT but a AU Ford Falcon Taxi and a 1968 Holden HK Monaro GTS.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I guess there really isn't too much off topic here, the thread after all is about odddball cars that ran the main thing is someone built them to go as fast as possible on the salt, I think thats one thing everyone can agree on ,

30. Whereas I on the other hand, would love to take a crack at it.:D