Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone know where I can find one of these!??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BFMC14, Aug 22, 2012.

1. BFMC14

BFMC14

I have looked everywhere...5 different places here locally, all over the internet, with no luck. Its a brass junction block for the brake lines on a 1950 Chevy car, located right under the passenger side door mounted to the frame.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

Off another 50 chevy car. You won't find a new one at a local parts store.

3. Ga55er

Ga55er
    from Texas

On my milling machine:D

4. BFMC14

BFMC14

Bob- Its close but that one is for the rear end housing...it might work but I have no way of clamping it down.

Looks like this is going to turn into the typical headache... seems like the the lines are cut to length specifically for this block, so if I were to find something else that would work I will have to cut and re-flare tubing...

5. BFMC14

BFMC14

If I can't find something, i'll be glad to send it to you Ga55er! The problem is one of the ports got cross threaded and the inverted flare inside the port got creased a bit I believe.

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I believe those are called "Distribution Blocks". I recently purchased some for my Mercury when I was redoing the brake lines, they were about $20 I think. That key word should help you find them. When I replaced mine, I used a slightly different style than the original, but it worked better. Local auto parts stores will have no idea what you're asking for. The place here in Chicago area that did have them in stock is called Winner's Circle. Maybe their website has some for you to see.

Attached Files:

7. You can always braze a bracket it it, but keep digging on the old car parts sites.

Tons of links in the site below, also check the truck sources.

http://www.stovebolt.com/links/parts.html

Bob

8. Carter's in KC if you don't see it on the site you call them, they keep lots of used pieces in stock and GM would have used the same piece on the truck as the car. it costs less to manufacture one piece that serves the same purpose on all models.

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/

9. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

10. BFMC14

BFMC14

Thanks Doc! I need that exact one in the pic you posted under the car. I found a few on that website that may work...

11. liljonny

liljonny
    from menifee,ca

What about The Car Shop out here in orange county,ca. They deal with chevy cars and truck from 20's to 80's. Just an ideer.

12. GMM

GMM
    from Buhl, ID

If you cant find one sitting on the local shops shelf, I can build you one. If you have dimensions or you can send it to me and I can build you one of 100. We build manifolds like those all the time, most of the time they are a little more advanced, but it doesn't matter. [​IMG][​IMG]

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

unless it is a 100 pts restoration, it should be pretty pretty simple and a lot cheaper to just modify the brake lines some and use a generic brake line tee. Is originality that important under your car? JMHO

14. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

check out your local HD dealer. they use blocks like that on their bikes. good luck

15. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Souns like Ga55er is willing to make you one.
    Sometimes you just gotta' listen!

16. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I think i have one, might not use it, ill look when i get home from work. Gonna be under the 50 all night anyways. Pm me

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, find a generic item....The fluid won't mind, if it's run thru a different distribution block. Happy Roddin'

4TTRUK

18. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

19. Just asking. What is wrong with the one in the picture?

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Threads stripped and seat 'scraped'. (from his 3rd post, I believe)

21. Missed it. Should not be reading while I'm working. Sounds repairable.

22. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

When I replaced mine, I went with one similar but slightly different. I believe the original piece had two inverted flare fittings and another fitting (compression?) fitting that required a thin copper washer. The replacement piece has three inverted flare fittings. I was redoing my brake lines anyway so it didn't matter. It was a subtle difference I might not have noticed until the guy at the auto parts place pointed it out.

23. 5window

5window

You might have noticed when you put it together the original way and it leaked. More importantly, after all the slamming of parts counter guys, it sounds like you have one who actually knows what he's talking about. That's the treasure here. :)

24. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

YUP that's what I was gonna say. Gotta Bridgeport? I will make you one if you send me a print. Priced accordingly

25. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

call my dad michael (864) 862 -9457 tell him what you need. hes a 49-50 chevy nut!!

26. Ga55er

Ga55er
    from Texas

I can make anything...eventually. Last guy I promised something for is still waiting.:eek: Try to find it or a generic first, save me for last resort. I'm time challenged

27. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Gotcha :D

28. BFMC14

BFMC14

Sorry I haven't replied back guys! Just had my first baby girl a week ago, so its been pretty chaotic around here! I have found a a generic one that I'm going to try from a local Hosing company here (its on order)...the problem is that if its not the exact dimensions as the original I may have to cut and reflare my brake lines in order to fit properly. I know thats possible but I'm trying to avoid all that. I cant really bend the lines to fit either due to a lack of space. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help. I'll see how this one goes and keep you guys posted. Ga55er, thanks for being honest on you being time challenged!