Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Mexicali Merc, another 40 Custom in the works

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sledge, Mar 17, 2012.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn Sledge, you've got me all shook up and obsessed with this Merc. It's turning out awesome.

2. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

That's a great photo!

3. duece

duece
    from australia

As I told you mate, you were pretty bloody easy to teach! the word natural comes to mind.You were damn good at drinkin beer to.

4. Awesome! I should have you help me out on chopping my 41 :D The windshield surround is easy...the top and stainless not so much

5. Pete

Pete

Kev....

your a manimal!!!

Merc looks great!!!

Pete-

6. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

7. Subscribed...Nice work man....

8. sled

sled

Yeahhh...the dog...and the car too:eek:

9. sled

sled

10. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Pete! Hopefully we can knock a few back again someday!

11. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Beautiful work Kevan!

12. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

So I got the the drip rails all done today and started the metal finishing process. This is where the real workout comes in because its nothing but hammer/dolly, hammer/slapper, and lots of file work! My arms are like rubber now and im going to sleep good tonight! But the results are worth the extra work. Reno wants it to be in bare metal for a while so it needs to look nice!

Got the passenger side driprail all welded and cleaned up. Still gotta finish welding the front windshield.
    [​IMG]

Started the metal finishing on the drivers side. Now It shouldn't need hardly any filler when done. This is turning out better than I planned. Im stoked!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  13. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

thumbs up! looks great.

14. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So beautiful. Great work.

15. Pinewood

Pinewood

What a great project. Thanks for the story and posts.

These Mercs are like the girl in high school that you never would have looked twice at but then she goes to college she figures out how to put some makeup on with some tight pants and it's a whole different story...

16. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

hahaha, yeah your right! Thats funny!

17. sled

sled

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  18. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Ray!

19. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best analogy EVER! :D

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man this just keeps getting better,beautiful workmanship Kevan !!!

21. redstraw

redstraw
    from tn

thats some dam fine work!!!!!

22. rustryder

rustryder
    from Dinuba ca

man i want to reach your level of craftmenship so bad, you and Paul Bragg are my heros,i have a small shop in a small town here in cetral cal and you guys and your post are my teachers,thanks so much for this thread

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  23. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Kevan, It goes to prove my point that our hobby is a noble one, As for me this hobby has saved my ass twice, in the recesion of the late eighties and early nineties, I lost my job and started restoring cars for my friends , it got me through some tough times and though I never got rich doing it, it always put food on the table for me and my family, once again , I lost my job in this recesion, so I am back restoring cars full time, the money is not great but there is a lot of satisfacion and you can stand back and feel you acomplished something , I never forgot some words my friend Buck told me " if you can do something with your hands , you will never go hungry" .
    My friend, fuck selling Tiki furniture! I think you have found your true niche in life, you have some serious talent and hopefuly you will continue to build cars for a living, Auzzie Pete called me last week, and I can't wait to tell him to check out this thread and see the work you have acomplished, I am shure he will be very prowd of you and extremly happy .
    It's funny how life takes it's turns and twists and being the good guy you are, the big man upstairs will always look out for you and your family.
    So foward on my friend, and keep up the good work,
    On a liteter note, for those of you who have never been to Mexicali, it is not a place for pussies, me and my friend Stephan just got back from there on a trip from hell to the sonora desert, Mexicali sits on the salton sea and is sits aboat 600 ft. below sea level and is one of the most inhospitible places on the planet, in the summer, tempetures range from 120 to 125 degrees in the day and in the night , it's in the low 100's, in the afternoons you get hit by sand storms , the only thing that keeps the town alive is the colorado river , so it is a agricultural town and the capital of Baja California, any way we were hauling a 31 phaeton by there and they were talking aboat flash floods, so we left the top on the phaeton, would'ent you know a tornado hit and blew the top right off the phaeton.
    The next day we araived to sonora, the tempeture was 127 degrees, we had to import the car and drive it through the mexican customs yard, would'ent you know it was so hot the starter sized and the float on the carburator got stuck so we lost all our fuel, the mexican custom agents would'ent let us tow the car through the differ'ent check points, so we had to push the car for aboat a mile and a half, poor Stephan was red as a beet and looked like a refugee from Rommel's Africa Corps, anyway I almost passed out but we got the job done .

24. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Wow, I appreciate the complement rustryder, but I've got nothin on Paul Bragg. He's one of my heros too! That merc is looking good!

25. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Miguel! Man your story's are the best! We need to start a thread just for Miguel story's! Yeah, I think the furniture thing is behind me for now. What started off as part time work has turned into a full time job! As much as this work beats the crap out of you, at the end of the day it's much more satisfying. Hows your 46 ford (that Pete chopped) coming along? Thats going to be a great looking car

26. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

looks great Kevan!

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That looks really good,great job!

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

To say I'm impressed would be an understatement

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Call it exercise Kevan.....blood pumping is very healthy and man it looks great.

30. Eric H

Eric H

Beautiful work.