Register now to get rid of these ads!

FlatCad Racing's Quest for 200 MPH-a Cadillac Flathead Story!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Aug 22, 2012.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

The attached pic is what back to back 200 MPH runs, with the FlatCad, would look like to our team members.

Can we do it? Who knows? What I do know is, many naysayers said it would be impossible for us to build a 500 HP flathead, and run 165+ MPH. I also know our team thrives on striving to achieve the 'impossible'!

This thread will be a continuation of the build thread. We'll post all the changes we are making to the engine and car, to achieve our goals.

I sure hope you'll join us, and follow along for the 'ride'!

Attached Files:

2. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I learned the 2 rules of racing long ago.
    1. Never say never.
    2. Never surrender.

When someone tells me it cant be done. I figure they mean they can't do it. JC

3. I follow your exploits as well as the guy with the '52 Buick and the '62 Ford truck, nothing short of awesome for all of you. You did 165.. 200 is only 35 mph away.

Bob

4. Whats the 200 Club minimum for your class Buddy?

I would look but this computer does not like PDFs!? WTF?

www.bonneville200mph.org

5. Vergil

Vergil

Ready for the updates and info as they are shared .....

Vergil

6. Well, subscribed to another one..........

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Tman. I bet the 2 club min for Buddys class is 200.

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

We are going to strengthen the bottom of the engine, for more boost and more RPM's.

The first two pics are of our current setup, with notes for changes by Pops29. Dale, don, and I passed these around, and discussed a course of action.

Pops29 then submitted the second 2 drawings, which we will implement.

<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_a8740428-393d-4f36-99b2-8745428d16a7 -->

Attached Files:

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

We are also going to be 'steamlining' the car a bunch, for better aero.

The current front axle (1st pic) setup causes a lot of drag. Wrenchbender and I are still working out vdetails, but we want to end up with something like the BMR roadster runs.(last 2 pics)

Attached Files:

10. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

The side bolts are a excellent idea. You can also use them for side oilers. JC

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Signed on and ready to follow your journey!

12. pregrid

pregrid

:d....

13. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

Seems like it would be beneficial to shorten the lower part of the block to make the main caps shorter along with the weak block material that holds it all together, then a thick girdle to tie it all together. If its at all possible I'm sure there comes advantages to having the caps and girdle all machined from one part or have zero clearance bosses for twisting alignment.

I'm not sure if it would be easy to do but the block does come down around the crank much further than other "more strong" designs and I think the length of the walls does effect rigidity and vibrations.

I've had dreams of building a higher HP version of what I'm putting together right now and this is basically our "dream" for the bottom end.

I'm also trying to figure up some piston squirters for my cad. I guess we'll see what I can pull off.

good luck guys.

14. I'll look for ya friend. What class is the old beasty runnin'?

15. I got the PDF on my phone but that is small reading!

They ran a couple classes. XXO/BVGC was one I believe

And yes, for some of those reading. THERE ARE MINIMUMS to get a red hat and into the 200MPH Club. Going 200 doesn't cut it in many cases. Read the PDF.

16. BVGC wasn't listed so it seems to me thats its 200 Trent

17. If you want to get into the 2 club and your class record is 245 and change you have to break 245 and change. It hasn't really been 200 mph in most classes since people were not going 200mph yet.

The closest thing to what they have painted on the side of the car on there site that I found was 204 and change. So I am guessing that 205 would get it and a 210 front pass would make it easier. ;)

The only listing that have for vintage blown competition coupe is fuel and XXO in the that class is 209.985.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes. XX0/VBFalt is the BMR with GMC power at 213.678. The same guys have Comp coup at 209.985. So in those classes there is no "minimum" there is a record. In all the other classes Buddy and FlatCad could run I believe there is no record over 200 so 200 is the number.

19. Thats what it looks like to me also Rich, these smart phones are a bitch to read! But, I now carry the minimums PDF around with me at all times!

20. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

200 is the minimum for both classes- XXO/BVGALT, and XXO/BVGCC

This is Dale's qualifying run in XXO\BVGALT, 160.737 in the 2-1/4, origanally posted by Lancer

http://youtu.be/lO8Poof9kL8

Check it out!

22. DUH, that is why I didn't find the class listed I was looking at the 2 club PDF and if no one was in the club yet there would be no listing. And this is one of my good days. :eek:

Thanks Rich for the clarification.

Hey just checked the vid, that is one nice sounding flatty. You got a ways to go but I think that you'll get there eventually, hopefully soon.

23. Guys,
    I'm bored today, and I have ms paint...:rolleyes:

Why not add aero to the existing front end? Knife edge the bottom, follow that body line up the side to over the axle, then out to the inner disks? Do the rules allow this?

Thom

Attached Files:

24. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Ahh the 2 Club I noticed no 2 Cluber has chimed in. Tribal Knowledge time, I am not a 2 Member, but talking to 2 Members you have to exceded a record that is over 200 mph. So if current record is below 200 you have to make a 200 record pass (two ways) and this will not get you into the 2 club. You must then break your over 200 mph record, even by .001 and THEN you get into the 2 Club. But a lot of this goes out the window if you are famous.

25. Funny I never heard that before. Not to say that it isn't true.

26. I think we covered some of this over beers Tony!

27. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thom, that might work-we'll talk!

Well, I'm not famous, but I believe you are wrong. I believe if there is an existing record in the class under 200, you have to set a new record that is higher than the existing record, over 200 mph. If there is a record over 200, then you are correct.

If there is no record over 200 mph, I believe a 2-way average over 200 mph qualifies you.

Read here: http://www.bonneville200mph.org/2011carrecords.pdf

I'm sure at some point, someone in the know will clarify it for us. Rich Fox?

28. Sounds like something that I would say if I went 200 but my 2 way average was not 200. ;)

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There are minimums set by the 200 MPH club in classes that do not have records. You could set a record in AABF/RMR at 201 and then set a record at 202 and neither will get you in the club. You must set a record that is representative of the potential for the class. Some classes, such as the classes that Buddy runs in, have 200 as the threshold.

30. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Check out these really cool wrench set holders Pops29 made!

My wife stole this one from me, to use as a key hook.

Thanks again Pops! Contact Pops29 if you'd like to order one.

Attached Files: