Register now to get rid of these ads!

alright...what am i missing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkey, Dec 22, 2009.

1. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

so...typically, this forum is one which I enjoy on a regular basis...It is informative, historically and mechanically, but also a creative outlet for many...from novice car geeks to pro skaters, to hotrod experts and self propelled dreamers and business savy risk takers... Honestly, it is an honor to be associated with the talent that comb these postings...

Like many, I consider myself a novice... a guy with a job, and a hobby that consumes his own internal spirit...( I know, wordy and border-line gay, by I accepted myself for my flaws)...I'm also aware that besides the occasional smart ass chime in, I only ignite a thread on this forum once I find myself in need of assistance... so without further delay, my problem... (please offer suggestions should you desire)

Took the Ford to TN over the T-Giving vacation and noticed some engine differences once I returned home. Suspected a leaky head gasket when driving to work, she back-fired once at 60 mph....I had chcked timing, spark and carb as well as exhaust gasket, so assumed this would be the next place to go...(car had been sitting for 5-6 years before I started driving her again on a daily basis, and had changed every other engine gasket...that's how I evolved to this next step...) checked compression and was off, so off to the parts store.

I replaced head gasket, reset/torqued head, turned over and compression is still off on three pistons...no. 1 is too high? no. 3 is 90 lbs pressure and no. 6 is 110... the rest are correctly firing at 120 lbs....

Please tell me this is not a piston ring prob.... if it's setting the valves correctly, anyone in Houston (on Katy side of town) interested in stopping by to be an extra set of eyes? Any suggestions or mental slaps to the back of the skull would be appreciated right about now...

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

valves
    did you look at the valves when off???

3. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

yeah... haven't checked while running... help bailed on me early tonight...something about getting tail...fired her up today...sounded good, but rough on the back end... once I let off of the throttle, I could tell something wasn't right... called my bro, but he was distracted by a couple girls he was hanging out with, so attention from him was minimal....yeah, I said a couple...that greedy bastard.

4. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

I didn't pull the valves out though, while the head was off, if that's what you were asking....

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

most times compression malfunctions are valves in one way or another. rings will make it have blow b and smoke most of the time.

6. Put a couple of ounces of oil in the low holes and re check, if the compression comes up it's rings if not it's valves.

7. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

What the heck is it?

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

9. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

sorry dude... straight 6, 223...in a '54 Ford Customline...but my wife calls it a money pit.

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Timing gears. Check the compression one more time if it is different the second time around. Thats the deal

11. If its not using much oil, or smoking id say the valves would be suspect if oil down the spark plug holes doesn't work to bring up psi. make sure the valves are what they need to be for adjustment. after the valves are adjusted. check to see if ya got any bad exhaust valves by putting your hand over the exhaust pipe while running. if ya feel your hand being sucked back into the exhaust pipe this can be an indicator of a bad valve. and if its not popping out the carb then id have to say exhaust valves should be checked first. also if ya did have a bad head gasket, the coolant in the combustion chamber can cool the exhaust valve head too quickly causing it to become shaped like a taco.

12. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

If it's the valves, (which I suspect, and most agree it may be), how do I remedy best? Itook the fan off and turned the cam, then tried to measure my gaps wita feeler gauge to ensure proper adjustents. but it did'nt help...did I do it wrong? should I manually crank the shaft, untileach cyl. is top dead center? I went in firing order, this correct, or should I go on wire plug order? somebody hit me with a auto sobriety check...

13. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

oooh...shit...that's not good.

14. oh yeah and next time ya have a bad head gasket make sure to check the valve seats by turning the head upside down and filling the combustion chambers with kerosene or something like that and make sure all the chambers stay filled and if they don't see where its leaking out.

15. squirrel

squirrel

The valves and seats can be worn, so even if you have the clearance set right, it won't have good compression. If so it needs a "valve job"

16. yeah it can happen.. not all the time but it can

17. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Pressure was the same, after I attempted to adjust...

BTW, Thank you all for your help.

18. back off the adjusters on the rocker arms.. just a tad see if it gets better that will tell ya if its adjustment.. and verify this with a vacuum gauge and by taco shaped were talking like a few thousands warp but check it with a vacuum gauge for all of this. doing it by ear is easy but i prefer checking with a vacuum gauge.

19. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

I know this don't mean shit, but I've only put 15,000 miles on the engine since the first rebuild... She sat for 5 years before I got her up and moving again, so I'd guess wear may be flawed, but may not be just totally effed....

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Then the oil in the cyl trick. Pressure up rings, the same valves. Did ya try a leak down test?

21. this is kind of silly but.. how do the plugs look?

22. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

plugs were gummed on the two center cyl.'s based on gasket discolor, that may be where leak was...have since replace with new plugs...when you say oil test, just pour a couple ounces of oil over the the cyl. head, through the spark hole, then attach compression? Next, adjust front to back, or in firing order?

23. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Leakdown test is called for.

24. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

The 90 and 110 are not bad as long as its in within 20 percent of the other cylinders, which it is. It sounds like the valves. They may not be adjusted correctly or could be burnt, not seating, or cracked! Check the push rods and make sure they are not bent. A leak down test is in order for sure!

25. VoodooBlade

VoodooBlade

As above check push rods.

I can come by and check it out Greasy just call me.

You got my Ph#

26. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Thread revived after it died........more than 2 1/2-years ago! DD

27. Boy, I hope he got it figured out by now, it was DECEMBER OF 2009:D

28. By now he could have put an SBC in it. :D

29. VDB, jump in your time machine and haul ass back to give your pal assistance! He's calling you from the past!!