Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM T5 question.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldiron73, Aug 22, 2012.

1. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

If I remove a 700r4 from a vechicle, Is a GM T5 a direct bolt in as far as the same bellhousing dimensions to a 350 V8.
    Also will I have to use the 168 tooth flywheel.
    Any imput would be great on what T5 to use.
    Thanks Mark.......

2. I believe that you will need a 168 tooth fw and it would bolt up but if I remember right the input shaft will be about a 1/2 inch to long. Someone sells the plate that steps the T5 away from the bell or you could fab up your own. Drive shaft will most likely be too short or too long???

3. jeffbr33

jeffbr33
    from norwich,ct

153tooth flywheel small mini starter if u use the t-5 bellhousing

4. squirrel

squirrel

The 700 is longer than a T5

You will need a matching flywheel/starter/bellhousing/clutch. The transmission really doesn't care what size the flywheel is, but the starter, bellhousing, and clutch do

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

Which T5? If it has a 1"-14 spline input, you can use a 168 teeth flywheel and an 11" Astrovan clutch off the shelf.

Bob

6. Snarl

Snarl

Several ways to go with this, but in general its like what squirrel said.

Need to know more about the rest of what you are doing in order to make an informed suggestion about a parts list....

7. I am going to run the Lincoln 337 flathead in my F1.
    I have the adapter to use an automatic or a manual GM trans for this application.
    I thought a T5 would be a good choice any thoughts on what year T5 to use.

8. HamD

HamD

If your block only has two starter bolt holes, you can run a 168 (with the right bell) or drill the third (NOT in-line with the inboard diagonal one!)and use a 153 wheel/starter.

The S/T trucks and F-bodies used the same length driveline for 700-R4 and T5, yes.

The strongest gearsets are the 2.95 first gear V8 F-body ones which all had 26 spline input. In 1988, the front countershaft bearing race went from stamped cup to machined, the case widened up front, gears went from bushings to roller bearings, the blocker rings went from brass to double cone 1-2 and single all-others with fiber material.

But, the f-body has a tilted tailhousing mount so the upper shift rail and tailhousing can be changed to the S10 pieces.
    Exactly.

9. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

My '84 camaro originally came with a 700 r4. I installed a turbo 350, then a t5, and now back to the 350 and have always used the same original driveshaft each and everytime.

10. Snarl

Snarl

what rearend gearing were you considering?
    is the camshaft profile stock or??
    do you need the more forward S10 type shifter position?
    does it have to be a cable driven speedo?