Register now to get rid of these ads!

How long before flash rust shows up after sandblasting???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Aug 21, 2012.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Getting my frame blasted, how long can it set in my garage before flash rust starts appearing??

Ideally it would get painted the next day but thats probably not going to happen. Going to be like a week two weeks in between.

Anything I can wipe it down with to slow the rust process for awhile? I am thinking phosphoric acid, is that a solution?

2. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Are you sandblasting it or using plastic beads? Plastic will usually allow you longer. Worst is if you, or the blast guy, touches it anywhere after blasting - you'll see a hand print in a day.

It also greatly depends how humid it is in your garage.

No, acid won't help delay rusting.

3. 117harv

117harv

5 minutes or 5 months depending on where you live and the humidity. Yes the Phosphoric acid will help it keep until primer gets applied, it is not a substitute for primer and the primer should be applied ASAP.

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Here in Vegas, it will last a year.

5. DrJ

DrJ

Here by the beach you can watch the rust grow within minutes.

6. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Well humidity is around 80% here, and I plan to use KBS coatings moisture cure epoxy.....

I am not sure what type of media is used by the blasters.

7. squirrel

squirrel

....or five years.....

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean oxidation isn't taking place. It starts as soon as it comes out of the booth. It's just a matter of degree....

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

KBS has a rust encapsulator, if you use that it won't make any difference.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In Houston? 24 hours. Seriously.

11. 117harv

117harv

LOL...this is true, again depending on where you live and or store it. I have a 34 truck roof that has been blasted for about 2 years with no primer and still is 95% rust free.

12. trbomax

trbomax

Go to TSC and get a gal of evapo-rust. Put it in your spray gun and drench the parts, then let them dry. Here in northern mi,that will hold back the flash rust for a week or more.

13. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I live in southern Manitoba where the summers can be hot and fairly humid. My frame was blasted well over a year ago and still shows no sign of any new rust. I consider myself lucky.

14. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Here in Florida in the summer (and 15 min from the coast) your times are measured in hours.....worst I had was 2 hrs from the point I ground paint off till I noticed flash rust on top of it.....

In the summer time I always cover my metal with Gibbs immediately after I'm done working with it.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ever notice some guys can tough a freshly blasted panel and leave a hand print in 5 minutes? Stuff lasts around here for years without rusting. Bob

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We stayed with friends in Truckee CA and he had model A patch panels still bare pressing 15 yrs old and barely perceptible hints of a thought of rust , this is in the mountains. Where as here in NZ mere mention of the word bare metal and rust is ready to begin.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

For some reason the rough surface that you get when you sandblast rusts faster than if the metal is ground shiny and smooth. It seems like the little hills and valleys catch moisture or somehow allow rust to form pretty fast.

Here in Florida something that is sandblasted will start to exhibit a brownish tinge almost immediately, especially if he sand had some moisture to it. I have sandblasted something and by the time I got finished sandblasting the whole part the first area I did was starting to rust already.

Don

18. 29moonshine

29moonshine

in west florida it will start over night. so i blast in the morning and prime that afternoon

19. repeater

repeater

When I completely sandblasted the body of my 50' Buick, it sat in a midwest garage 2 years and never got a speck of surface rust on it. Unless you live in the Southeast or the jungle, you don't have much to worry about.

20. sumner41

sumner41

metal prep and prime right away. metal prep is a solution that leaves a faint zinc chromate coating. It stops microscopic rust. Also SEAL primer with at least one coat of top coat (any color) as primer is POURUS. Actually dipping is best as it is a chemical action and rust formation is also a chemical action. But blasting will work. Make sure blaster has done cars before and get references. Blasting done wrong can cause problems. Also with sandblasting. sand will appear months after

21. sumner41

sumner41

unbeknown to most RUST starts on a MICROSCOPIC LEVEL. It is forming even before it can be seen with the naked eye

22. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

We all know rust starts on a microscopic level right away, but most of us also know it makes no difference. Rust on a scale that matters is what we are discussing.

After all, the minute you are born you begin your path to death but no one let's that bother them.

23. All one needs to know is rust never sleeps.:D

24. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used OXY-SOLV (sp?) years ago on fresh blasted metal. Not sure if it's still available. It needed only a water rinse, like soda, to be ready for prep/primer.

25. 2935ford

2935ford

High humidity...right now!

26. Your in West Virgina,,,It will start within a couple of days if it's inside,,outside it will happen before your eyes! HRP

27. Jimm56

Jimm56

Optimist. :)