Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Powerwgn

Powerwgn
    from Solvang CA

Really enjoying your build progress. I like a good budget build, gives some hope for us working class stiffs! + 1 for the single bar grill. Keep on it, it's going to be a thing of beauty.

2. Thanks, glad your enjoying the build. I do however spend the money where it counts but overall it's a budget build keeping a little quality and saftey in mind.

3. Rained a lot lately so i tinkered a bit. Finally got the distributor in. I originally was going with a duraspark but opted for a new dizzy but it was to modern looking for my car so ended up swapping a friend for his new petronics conversion. It's a FoMoCo case from 1963, rebuilt, and has the little oiler hole on the side as well. Seemed more fitting and looks stock. I'm liken it. I use petronics
    on my other cars and they are good reliable swaps.Strung some new MSD wires.
    Don't know why or is it just around here, it's hard to find black sparky wires.
    Had a 600 Holley laying around so i'll try it and see if it's any good. Hooked up the Lockar carb linkage which works perfect. A bit modern looking but maybe i can disguise it abit.

Installed the remote oil filter as well. Changing oil will never be as easy. Liking that to.

Attached Files:

4. Jumping around abit and it's raining again so back in the garage. I came across this frt sway bar off a 011 charger which was in the shop with a collision claim. It was being replaced along with the links so i took it home and thought it might fit my 50. So a quick mock up and i think it will work. Just had to buy the rubbers and strap bkts which were cheap. It's a 1 inch bar and clears the frt wheels and frame with a bit of dialing in. The silver washer type sleeve you see are the factory stops on the dodge so the bar doesn't slide back and forth and are clamped on tight. So, i'll cut them, move them beside the bkts , clamp and weld them back on with a rapid cool to hopefully shrink them back on tight along with a set screw. I'll make a bkt off the lower control arm as i just used a existing hole for now. The links have been shortened.
    I think i lucked out at least so far.

Attached Files:

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Good thinkin' on the swaybar . Can ya heat the original stoprings up & slide 'em in place instead of cutting 'em & set-screwing 'em ?? Just a thought .

6. I thought of that to but i think but not sure yet, there might be a ridge to contend with. But i'll take a closer look when i get the bar back out. Your a thinking man Buddy, i like it.

7. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

build is still coming along nicely.

8. Thanks, it's starting to get extra fun. But i'm on hold for a bit. Got a new project and it's really NOT my favorite passtime. Had to be done thou and can't do it in the winter. I hate house schit.

Attached Files:

9. manhugos my bitch

manhugos my bitch
    from nor cal

10. Thanks. Actually i fired it up tonight. I wasn't sure about the power train i bought as it was a mystery motor. I think it's a h.o. It's sounds too strong to be a garden variety 302. Motor sounds tight and solid. I'm a happy camper.
    Getting real motivated now. It's got life.:):):)

11. A few more updates. Gas tank is modified and trans cooler installed to button up a few more things

Attached Files:

12. Here's a pic of the fe valve cover adaptors to a sbf. SHHHH-i bought those. Got lazy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  13. 62rebel

62rebel

Tedley; do you have any other pics of what you did to the front crossmember to use the front sump oil pan on your SBF? i'm still in the hunting phase of engine decisions but leaning strongly to the SBF/C4 combo.

14. [CJ]

[CJ]

Nice project! Keep up the good work. I like your paint choice for the engine.

15. sololobo

sololobo

Doin some great stuff bro, how do you manage to do all that goor-met cookin when you are workin so hard, unbelievable! ~sololobo~

16. The only reason i used the front sump pan was for clearance for the rack and pinion. You don't have to modify your xmember if you use a later model mustang pan. The only pics i have are what is on here. My 87 HO motor was converted to front sump from a 70 which also has the frt timing coverwater pump etc. This also gives you a front dip stick and mechanical fuel pump option.Plus it looks more old school.

Attached Files:

17. 62rebel

62rebel

i've backdated several SBF's over the years mostly for my Falcons, so i'm more comfortable with that arrangement. were there any critical measurements you had to keep in mind to work from, or just work from the trans crossmember mount forward? it LOOKS like you have wiggle room around your engine, but i could be wrong!

18. The biggest thing to keep in mind on a shoebox is room for steering linkage and column. Have a closer look at my frame, engine mounts, location, trans clearance. There are some decent pics of exhaust, motor mounts, trans location, trans tunnel etc. Hope this helps. It's a nice swap in the end.

19. 62rebel

62rebel

of all the 'box threads i've read, yours has been the most helpful, from the way you've gone through everything. all of the others had great info as well, yours just suits MY car better! maybe there's a 4" section in my car's future.....

20. Nutin like a little mystery meat to get by on when your busy.

Attached Files:

21. Scored some stuff this weekend. I think the best part was a strait front and rear bumpers. Got some other needed parts as well like a minty brake drum Center hood mldg with airplane, assorted other stuff.

Attached Files:

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Are you going to french the headlights?

23. I was going to but changed my mind.....again. What's your take????

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Frenching the lights will direct your eye more to the grill.

25. Certainly noted. Would have to do the rear as well. Right now i'm going with what i got being basicly stock bodied.
    Your car is quite stunning by the way, i love it.

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Thanks man....been watching yours and like what I see. Build it to make you happy that is all.

27. Thanks. This is a budget build and there is lots more i could do believe me, alot more, but this is going to be a total driver with easy maintanance in mind without braking the bank. Just a fun car that i don't mind if there is a dried out french fry under the seat:)

28. Oh by the way, i spruced up the garage and laid 14000 lbs of brick by myself in 95 degree heat. Never do that again. Funny how everyone disappears when one does a project like this lol. But it's done and over with.

Attached Files:

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Looks GREAT !!!

30. I was playing around with this grille delema. Finally came up with a obvious solution. I had a 51 lower pan on it because it was minty and thought i could make it work. With my little score of parts yesterday i brought home a minty 50 pan. Oh so much better. So i'm just going with the cal chrome upper filer , cal chrome center bar and stock everything else.
    The 51 hood ornament i like right now but on the fence.

Attached Files: