Register now to get rid of these ads!

LUNCHED my engine on the way back from the Drags. VIDEO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedabone, Aug 20, 2012.

1. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But she made it home....

About 10 miles from home, she started shaking and banging and lost all her oil pressure, so I jumped out at a stop light and her crank hub and blower pulley were wiggling like crazy. I though, well she will make it or she won't...

She limped into the driveway and literally stopped right there. She is toast. Don't know what she needs yet, but it is alot... I'll get her apart tomorrow and post some pics.

This little engine has about 80k miles on her including the last 5 HAMB Drags and she owes me nothing. I will hang her broken parts on the wall in a place of honour as a sacrifice to the gods of speed.

Best HAMB Drags EVER.

See ya, -Abone.

See if this works..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Sounds like you are on your way to a bigger better faster ride.

Out with the old - in with new &
    The engine is dead - long live the engine kind of stuff..

Still sucks & glad you made it home

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

Sorry about the engine but it got you home. Like the hanging parts on the wall idea.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Dang, that sucks but at least you got home!

5. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Sorry to hear this but she has definitely done her part. I'd say ya got your moneys worth outta that one. Good luck with the re-build. Gary

6. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Well, if it's gonna break, in the driveway is always preferred!

-W

7. Man I really wanted to be there tipping back some of those golden energy drinks you're so fond of.

I saw the video of you and Squirrel going at it and notice how much black smoke belched out of your car. Made me a bit concerned for you, glad it worked out as it did.

8. I know you drive that thing hard.....80K? not bad.....;)

9. ryno

ryno

we missed ya steve.

sorry to hear about the devastation jeff,but like ya said it lived a long goodlife and got you home.

time for bigger, and better!
    you've got a cup to get back!

10. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude! Wow just another testament to you and that little car she waits to kick it till she gets you to safety ! I know the new mill will be killer. I also know the guy with balls of steel will beat on it like he stole it !!!! Wish I was there to help ya

Lumpy

11. belair

belair

We salute you.

12. Gotta give a lot of respect to an engine that hung on long enough to get you into the driveway. That's all you can ask of a high mileage mill.

I've had more than one do exactly that for me....it's almost like they're alive a way.

And yes....you gotta memorialize it on the wall somehow.

13. Like a horse that delivers it's soldier from the heat of battle and gave her all........................

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stuck a link in there..see if it works..

Thanks for teh kind words guys. That little motor gave her all and has served me well. Still had a hell of a great time.

-Abone.

15. 270ci

270ci

Bummer about the crappy engine noises...but it did get you home. Unbeknown to you, that motor was a bit of an inspiration for me, as I just bought a 63 389 with idea of setting a 6-71 on it and slipping it between the rails of my 33 Chevy coupe.
    I'm curious what you have (had?) for internal parts. Had you built it specifically to be blown or was it more or less a stock engine? I'm very curious what gave out.

16. BinderRod

BinderRod

I think it would be safe to say that 5 years of of full blast passes and 80k miles that most new cars would have puked and died sooner. glad you made it home safe and sound.

17. Damn Jeff
    That really sucks. See if I ever bid you farewell in the hotel parking lot again.

Well I guess it is time for a little love for the old poncho. It'll no doubt be as good as the last and better then most.

18. . her crank hub and blower pulley were wiggling like crazy.

I had a Pontiac engine where the balancer came off with the end of the crank still bolted to it.
    Can just catch it in the video

19. glad you made it home!

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You can't ask more that that. She was loyal enough to get you all the way home after all the fun you guys had together on the strip. :D

If it was me, I would try to salvage the block out of respect and maybe just put a new stroker kit in her.

Don

21. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Another hot rod adventure for sure. Like Belair said........................ "We salute you"

To have that many hard driven fun miles on that engine and still flog it the way you were at the drags is what real hot rodding is all about.

Like mentioned earlier, I hope you'll be able to save the heart of that mill to continue on and keep driving and enjoying it the way you always have.......

Truly inspirational!

22. FLATHEAD VICKY

FLATHEAD VICKY

It looks like its time to trade it on that new honda accord you always wanted

23. cakes

cakes

too bad jeff, At least she got you home, give a ring if you need a hand or some more cold beer

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Since it got you home it deserves to be rebuilt.

25. atch

atch

jeff,

sorry to hear that. your car is one of the really true hi-lites of the drags. what it's all about. run whatcha brung; and not on a trailer either. i really appreciate the fact that you drive both ways and flog the crap outta that "A" while you're there.

unfortunately, clarence gave up the ghost on the way to the drags instead of on the way home. tranny's toast. guess that leaves blakmerk as the only "every hamb drags participant".

b-t-w; friday's the 1st time clarence has been on a trailer in about 15 years.

if i had thought that there was any way that clarence could have made it to joplin on saturday i'd have flogged on it 24 hours straight to get there.

here's hopin' that we're both there next year and runnin' good. i'll definitely be lookin' for you.

oh, yeah; i've been wantin' to put in the 413/727 that's in the corner of the shop. if that happens it'll double clarence's HP. and perhaps lower that 19 second ET.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  26. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

At least she didn't leave you stranded. Like a good friend, there till the end.

Do you know of any good mechanics................................. just kidding

27. This is one of my favorite HAMB cars. A true hot rod driver that gets used and abused as it should. Im sure it wont be too long before your back on the road.
    Keep up the good work.

28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

sorry to hear about the engine,sounds like it gave it's all.can't wait for the new and improved poncho.hows the coupe coming along?

29. Sure got your moneys worth out of that one. Glad you made it home.

So what kind of mischief do you have planned for the next engine?

30. squirrel

squirrel

You live a charmed life Jeff....it's really neat that you made it home. But it sure sucks about the motor giving up.

It was a blast racing you finally, I feel bad that I beat you on the last race you ran on that mill.