Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to JJ Aussie girl loves custom cars trying to make my 49 choptop Merc less ratrod

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by radgirl, Aug 19, 2012.

1. radgirl

radgirl

I have recently met the love of my life. I have owned many cars and still do but when I laid my hands on this treasure I knew I was gone forever. She was rougher than rough and has a Chop Job from hell. This week her roof got a trim from the inside. Ive never seen such shit welds, joins and patches in my life, so I got to work grinding her all back to see what I have to work with. The bog on her roof also copped a hiding from me and a cranky screwdriver just to see how much was really under her chassis matte black paint. I must admit ......... She is not as bad as I thought.

Today I set to work stripping her interior and found a few random cuts and grinds on the floor so I gave her a vacuum and cleaned around each area I need to weld up tomorrow. I also had a good look at her doors and bolt latch gate style locks, ordered claw style proper door locks, and to my surprise so far no cancer to be found. The scraping in the rear is due to shitty shocks and the wheels needing spacers so they went on the order list for tomorrow.
    Dunno of it's blasphemy or not but she has a 350 Chev eng so I'm thinking she may need a Cleveland transplant at a later date but for now she received new plugs, leads, oil filters and a bit of tweaking so shes purring like a kitten.

Well that doesnt even scrape the surface of the things I need to do to my lovely lady, with her ratty, crooked DeSoto teeth, the lack of windows and door to roof supports, she is rough. So with a long list of to do's and a mountain is parts to order just to start we are ready. So ...............

I finished my day by giving her a wash, polished her exhaust, and scrubbed her White Walls. She's a beauty.......... But like all of us chicky babes....... Shes gonna be hard work, sweat and tears and F&@k loads of cash. But we're worth it- aren't we MZKITY

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m90zf4f0Mt1r3jwc3o1_1280.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Welcome from another Aussie. A word of advice the Rat name is not a good term to use here.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  3. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

I'd love to see your pics but the links are broken. Welcome to the zoo!

4. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

5. radgirl

radgirl

Dont use Rat hmmmmmmm so how would I describe her .......

“If what you see by the eye doesn’t please you, then close your eyes and see from the heart. Because the Heart can see Beauty and Love, more than the eyes can ever wonder.”

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m90zf4f0Mt1r3jwc3o1_1280.jpg

6. raymay

raymay

Welcome from New York.

7. radgirl

radgirl

8. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

[​IMG]
    Looks good.

9. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome from Colorado

10. psycho sean

psycho sean

I have seen far worse and worked with less r#& r%$& is a term that is over used to anything painted flat or in primer it really turns a lot of stomachs to those of us here who know that the true meaning is basically a dangerous unsafe hunk of something. You shouldn't put your merc.down like that its no where near it

11. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Nice lookin ride, keep us updated. Another welcome from Colorado...

12. radgirl

radgirl

Aw shucks, she would be chuffed to hear it. Poor baby as soon as I take her out the first comment everyone makes is "how the crap is that thing even on the road?". The random bits of sheetmetal that hung from the roof have been removed so at least i dont look like I shouldnt be driving her around anymore.

13. Geeeyum

Geeeyum
    from Garland Tx

A Texas welcome from one Merc owner to another

14. radgirl

radgirl

Ah Texas.............LOVE Texas. Best Ribs, Best Roads and Biggest Guns

15. She said big guns:eek:

16. radgirl

radgirl

Well I like to use the word GUNS as we have none here. I remember them well. Welcome to Oz check your guns at Parliment House, or join your local gun club they allow you 2 hours per month.

17. radgirl

radgirl

Thanks! Looks like Im about to fly over and buy myself a Zephyr Coupe!

18. Phil 41 Chevy

Phil 41 Chevy

Welcome from southeast Iowa !!!!;););)

19. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

She's alright in my book, welcome aboard and that car is nothing to be apologizing for , drive her and enjoy it

20. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

Welcome from Canada Nice Merc too

21. Welcome from a little bit south,..I can see why you fell in love with her!

22. pacoloco

pacoloco

That baby looks awesome.... With a little love, it will be sweet! Too bad you're not in LA, that Merc would get a lot of attention!

23. radgirl

radgirl

So today I Stripped her front down. Removed her front bumper, fenders, bonnet and radiator and supports. Got the cutting disc's out and cut away all of the unnecessary sheet metal that was attached to her fenders, what I found scared the beegeeesus out of me. Argh!! Her chassis has been chopped and butchered so badly that Im taking her off the road. The steering was sitting hard against the wishbone and Fuel Pump hard up against the chassis. The battery was mounted right above the Exhaust Manifold (thank fuck that didnt explode). Call me padantic but I love living. Tomorrow will consist of me and the plasma cutter and Welding proper sections to reinforce the chassis. Remove the Steering and shortening so it no longer sits or hits the wishbone, moving the battery and relocating into the boot and Moving the Fuel pump to a safer location. Oh the overflow bottle was hanging by a hose down next to the fan, so I am going to fabricate one out of stainless and mount against the fender. I guess I might remove the 350 Chev and transplant my Cleveland :-? ............ Stay Tuned

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  24. Maria

Maria

Welcome from Finland!!! She's a beauty!!!!!!

25. Howdy, & welcome radgirl. Cleveland for Chevy? -speaking my language, super reliable simple mill when done right.

26. radgirl

radgirl

And I know everyone hates the Ratrod word but if you look for MZKITY in the main thread I have posted photos from yesterdays efforts. Maybe she should be called FrankenRod?