Register now to get rid of these ads!

The UnOfficial: I wish I was at the Hamb Drags,but can't be thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarliner, Aug 18, 2012.

1. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

I was lucky enough to be at the very first Hamb Drags, and a few since then.There's nothing like it, great cars, great people, and one hell of a good time. But it seems the last few years and this year, it just was'nt mean't to be for me, so I had to stay home. Im sure there are others on here, feeling the same.So I thought I would start a thread for us wimps, and see what were doing to, numb the pain! I will start it off, with a few pictures of what I've been doing, to get relief. I went today to help a friend pickup, an old wrecker, that has a neat story, it was his uncles and he rode in it as kid, in its hayday.Then it was lost for years, and just by chance, he located it by talking to an old friend, he had'nt seen in a few years.He purchased it and has plans to get it on the road again. It was a tough move and very heavy, a 'true barnfind" though! I also took a part a studebaker truck, I came up with, with plans, to find a better one and combine all the good stuff, into one.What have you been up to?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Well at least it was car related, I sure don't want to complain about the rain TX needs it, but I'd rather be at the drags. I guess I could go out and change my shocks, playing hot wheels right now with a 3 year old!

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Went in '05, had a blast, haven't been able to get back since and regret it every year.

4. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Man this place moves fast, page 4 in a few hours, anyone else getting anything done this weekend or have a case of "the no Hamb Drags blues"?

5. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I was looking forward to it but other things came up. Such is life. Here's to next year.

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I was supposed to be there to receive a bear hug from BigKen...didn't happen

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. I was there and it was the best ever. I did not hug Big Ken, but I did hug Denise.
    There were several big time wheelstands. Oh, did I mention it was great.
    Later,
    Dick

8. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Well, now that pictures and videos are up, Im headed out to bang my head on my gararge wall, looks like some very nice stuff and a great time!

9. this has been on my to do list for all 4 years i been working on Lil Beast....but again, it just didn't happen again this year....i have a hard time spending money with the way work has been this year....commission shop, very slow this year....every time a spend a buck i think of what i could have bought to get me closer to driver status....hopefully i'm not posting a similar post during autorama this year....again.........

10. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

To all who did not attend, you misses another GREAT year of burnouts, wheelstands, cool cars and friendly faces. Make plans to attend next year!

11. Vacationing with the in-laws! But I do have my classic bike to tool around on....

12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm Down with Pneumonia.

Couldn't go to the Drags or for that matter can't even be in my garage which sucks.

So, I sit recouping and try to stay on top of Moderating and ZAP spam is it comes up.

The Drags looked kick ass.

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Broke and have a 2 month old. Plus, I'm broke. 3 rd in a row I've missed. And, I'm broke.

14. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I have been to the last 3 before this year and was registered for this year but the 40 had some last minute issues that I didn't have time to address, so I had to miss this one. :(

15. ford9inch

ford9inch

I really wanted to go but all of my copilots backed out and making the trip alone didn't sound enjoyable. So I stayed in and built a rear xmember for my roadster...

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

16. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Scarliner, you were missed. I walked around hoping to see you. We haven't got to visit in two or three years. I hope we can both be there next year. I've made all 10. It sure has changed since the first couple times. But it has morphed well and is still a great event. The quality of the cars, bikes and trucks just keeps getting better. Sam

17. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Sam, I know it had to be a great weekend, weather seemed perfect, race car weather and roadster weather, warm, but not too warm.From what I see, the car quaility is much higher, probably too high for anything I could build, but you have to like it, makes for a great show and safer races. But really for me at least its, more about the people, than the cars, I miss you, and all the good folks, I know had to be there.The years I was there, I made some friendships, that really mean a lot to me, great people! I've had one car in mind, that I should build, just for this event, just need to do it! Maybe next year.

18. on my bucket list.

19. Zeke

Zeke

I feel your pain Toodles...well mine actually... Broke and pissing blood.

20. JayD

JayD

Been there only twice, it's a great time that's hard to miss. Wanted to make it this year, but it wasn't meant to be.

If you haven't been, you gotta go!!

21. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The one

GOOD THING

about not being able to go to the HAMB drags ... now that they are over ...
    is ...

I do not have to drive 1200 miles home :)

22. RacerRick

RacerRick

Pffft. We drove 1749km each way to the drags. In a 1957 car that we only got running three days before. If a couple of chuckleheads like us can do it, you have no good excuse!